Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so today i went in and bought a 2002 gt 91xxx miles for 12000
reason being my clutch went out on my v6 and tranny mounts are about to give and syncros in the tranny are f'd so i got a bone stock gt today we'll seal the deal either sunday or monday depending on weather, but my question is...mods im not new to modding, any modding ill be doing myself besides gear installs etc
but
91xxx 5 speed
abs, trac control, fog lights, its a vert, the basics
ive only modded my v6 so i need to know a good starting place on my gt
i already know for sure ill be going to big als brake and muffler to have a custom mid pipe installed first, im thinking no crossover like i have on my v6, will it sound good, okay or great?
next will be intake i already know ebay has the best deals that and a k&n drop in filter, or just go with jlt from what ive heard theyre a good name to go with
then,.. mufflers i dont want flows, i already have them on my v6 and want something different, suggestions i will search youtube in a few,
headers, do they make a difference on gt's
i know on v6s they dont do much besides sound differences, im already sure everyone will say l/ts but i just want some suggestions and or opinions
then will be more heavy modding
does this car have a trac lok or no?
then gears, once again im clueless for the gears on a gt..... 3.73s?
ill put some msd wires on and upgrade the coil pack too
intake plenum, does that make much of a difference
well if i missed anything feel free to correct or add anything
i have like 3000$+ saved up from when i was saving up for a tma turbo on my v6 but that obivioulsy fell thru

·
Registered
927 Posts
ok so today i went in and bought a 2002 gt 91xxx miles for 12000
reason being my clutch went out on my v6 and tranny mounts are about to give and syncros in the tranny are f'd so i got a bone stock gt today we'll seal the deal either sunday or monday depending on weather, but my question is...mods im not new to modding, any modding ill be doing myself besides gear installs etc
but
91xxx 5 speed
abs, trac control, fog lights, its a vert, the basics
ive only modded my v6 so i need to know a good starting place on my gt
i already know for sure ill be going to big als brake and muffler to have a custom mid pipe installed first, im thinking no crossover like i have on my v6, will it sound good, okay or great?
next will be intake i already know ebay has the best deals that and a k&n drop in filter, or just go with jlt from what ive heard theyre a good name to go with
then,.. mufflers i dont want flows, i already have them on my v6 and want something different, suggestions i will search youtube in a few,
headers, do they make a difference on gt's
i know on v6s they dont do much besides sound differences, im already sure everyone will say l/ts but i just want some suggestions and or opinions
then will be more heavy modding
does this car have a trac lok or no?
then gears, once again im clueless for the gears on a gt..... 3.73s?
ill put some msd wires on and upgrade the coil pack too
intake plenum, does that make much of a difference
well if i missed anything feel free to correct or add anything
i have like 3000$+ saved up from when i was saving up for a tma turbo on my v6 but that obivioulsy fell thru
what i think so far and what i have (see my sig)
-x pipe (many to pick from im going to go with SLP catted thow)
-exhuast SPLs or pypes (i went with pypes do to the price and sound):D
sound clips found here
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/exhaust/59248-mustang-exhaust-sound-movie-clips-page.html
-mac LT or slp ones (dont get bbks ones i read about to much quality crap from them and the bbk items i have seen dont seem to look to good after a while)
-gears.. some like 3.73 some like 4.10s, me ? i go with 3.55 since my car is a daily driver
-JLT CAI are very well liked, i went with the S&B unit since it hasva different look and uses the same filter (S&B as the JLT unit)
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/parts/61450-s-b-intake-my-intake-them.html

wires you dont need them on a GT
Coil Pack Kit look around jegs has a decent set cheap ,there is a vid here about one set.
GMS Ford 2V Coil Pack Kit (99-04)
-look at the steeda under drive pullys seem like the best

dont forget Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle is very good with prices and they give us an extra discount as well (check the vendors area and Pm AMnick)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
first of all... 12K is what i paid 2 years ago for my 02 w/ 50K miles... book value on it now is just shy of 10K

anyways, you are on the right track mod wise...

exhaust, do you like raspy or deep? midpipes.......x: raspy h:deep
mufflers: i have macs, love them... but its all what you want as far as sound. youtube is your friend here :D

headers: yes, long tubes are the way to go, but are a pain in the ass when the car is lowered or when you have to remove the trans for anything

CAI: i bought a cheapy from ebay my first time around and now have the JLT.... do it right the first time and save money

it does have trac loc...

gears... again, look over the stickies carefully to help your decision, and i dont feel like arguing over everyone with 3.73's.

tuner: find out what the local shops around your area use for tuning software and go from there.

that is :2cents

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first of all... 12K is what i paid 2 years ago for my 02 w/ 50K miles... book value on it now is just shy of 10K

anyways, you are on the right track mod wise...

exhaust, do you like raspy or deep? midpipes.......x: raspy h:deep
mufflers: i have macs, love them... but its all what you want as far as sound. youtube is your friend here :D

headers: yes, long tubes are the way to go, but are a pain in the ass when the car is lowered or when you have to remove the trans for anything

CAI: i bought a cheapy from ebay my first time around and now have the JLT.... do it right the first time and save money

it does have trac loc...

gears... again, look over the stickies carefully to help your decision, and i dont feel like arguing over everyone with 3.73's.

tuner: find out what the local shops around your area use for tuning software and go from there.

that is :2cents
alright guys thanks for the quick responses
i want a deep sound i was thinking of dumps how do they sound on the 2v motors
as for the 12k part i think its just where we live because the nada and kbb both value it over 12k i think like 12,900 around there i forgot now but i have a sniper tuner on the way i wasnt happy with my canned tunes from vmp with the xcal 3 so i went a different route
but what about no crossover pipes and high flow cats what kinda sound and performance differences am i looking at with this setup, mac l/ts, custom fabbed mid pipe w/ no crossover and high flow cats, and maybe mac or slp mufflers idk if slp sells just mufflers :p

·
Registered
927 Posts
deep sound = h pipe :)
raspy sound = X pipe :(

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
so how about no crossover at all?
sure go for it...if you like a really crappy sound. straight pipes on overhead cam cars arent the best way to go...you need to equalize pressure across both banks. it pretty much comes down to h pipe or x pipe...or prochamber which is kind of a mix of both.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sure go for it...if you like a really crappy sound. straight pipes on overhead cam cars arent the best way to go...you need to equalize pressure across both banks. it pretty much comes down to h pipe or x pipe...or prochamber which is kind of a mix of both.
ok then whats that?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i still prefer an h pipe...go on you tube and check out different exhausts....and if you do some searching in here, you might find what you want.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i still prefer an h pipe...go on you tube and check out different exhausts....and if you do some searching in here, you might find what you want.
yea ive been searching my ass off but ive noticed that the video quality doesnt quite do the justice it should
but how do dumps sound with stock headers and stock h pipe (i think gt's have h pipe anyways)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
yes stock they have a h pipe, but its more restrictive than an aftermarket h pipe.

when you say dumps, do you mean dumps after muffler or as in cut offs? cut offs are extremely loud and most likely illegal to use on the street. dumps can have a drone in car, but many out there run that setup.

exhaust comes down to how you want it to sound...try and find a local club or local tune shop so you can hear different setups.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes stock they have a h pipe, but its more restrictive than an aftermarket h pipe.

when you say dumps, do you mean dumps after muffler or as in cut offs? cut offs are extremely loud and most likely illegal to use on the street. dumps can have a drone in car, but many out there run that setup.

exhaust comes down to how you want it to sound...try and find a local club or local tune shop so you can hear different setups.
dumps after the muffler

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I dont know where I saw it but they were like remote control dumps. You pressed a switch and the exhaust opened up behind the mufflers

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont know where I saw it but they were like remote control dumps. You pressed a switch and the exhaust opened up behind the mufflers
that would be sweet:D

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
those are exhaust cut outs.

Ok man the switch from a v6 to a v8 is more than 2 cylinders.

v6 was even fire
v8 odd fire

what that means is if you dont have a crossover of some sort you wont have the equalization of gasses and your car might shake like an overloaded washing machine...so get a h or x of somesort

If you want the deepest sound get LT headers, catted h pipe if you can find one, and some catback...now MAC catbacks are pretty deep I have MAC, and I like it.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
those are exhaust cut outs.

Ok man the switch from a v6 to a v8 is more than 2 cylinders.

v6 was even fire
v8 odd fire

what that means is if you dont have a crossover of some sort you wont have the equalization of gasses and your car might shake like an overloaded washing machine...so get a h or x of somesort

If you want the deepest sound get LT headers, catted h pipe if you can find one, and some catback...now MAC catbacks are pretty deep I have MAC, and I like it.
ha ok that information is something im glad i now know...
but i still want to lower it like 1.5' or something close to that area
ill be keeping my bullitt rims from my v6 to put up here so if i have 18's on it whats the lowest amount i can drop it without haveing to worry about rubbing etc.
will the l/ts not fit if i lower it?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i just swapped to dumps a month or so ago (Mac Lt, O/R H, & Mac Muffs) and love it! it doesnt drone in the car bad at all and sounds really mean...

as far as lowering it... i had the pro-kit for a while and really liked it and just now switched to the FRPP C springs and really like them so far. either way, i recommed either one of them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts