Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this car a little over a month ago and it needed some work(92K on the clock). Suspension, brakes, check engine light, cleaning, etc. I finally got it road worthy, but now unfortunately I have some questions. Here's a list of what I have done for beginners...
*Energy Suspension - sway bar links/bushings, steering bushings, trans mount, and engine mount(yet to be done)
*Eibach pro damper struts
*Ford Racing - springs (m5300C), aluminum drive shaft, 3.73 gears(soon to be installed)
*Wearever - breaks/rotors all around (from autozone)
*NGK V-power spark plugs
*SVE full sub-frame connectors & drifts wheels 18-9/10 with nitto nt555
*SR performance short throw shifter
*J&M stainless brake lines
*Flowmaster cat back
*BAMA SCT tunner
*Mobile1 trans fluid

I have done a lot of searching, but I am not sure if the following are normal issues/sounds with the drive train.
1) When I am decelerating in first (stop and go traffic), I hear a noise similar to how most manual cars sound when driving in reverse. Normal?
2) With car running and in neutral (clutch not depressed), I hear a noise...with clutch depressed noise goes away. From searching, this sounds like the TOB. Does this necessarily mean it needs to be replaced immediately?
3) When coasting then getting on the gas, I hear a clunk...sounds like it is coming from right below the shifter. The clunk can also happen inbetween shifts when driving easy. I did not stick any additional grease on the aluminum drive shaft yoke when I installed it. Would this possible be the issue?
4) Weird noise when in fifth gear. Around 1200-2000rpms, intermittent, and more pronounced when going uphill. I have no idea how to describe this sound other than it sounds like something spinning out of balance.

Sorry for sounding like such a nube, but I want to make sure I get my issues sorted out before the supercharger (Vortec V3) :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have done a lot of searching, but I am not sure if the following are normal issues/sounds with the drive train.
1) When I am decelerating in first (stop and go traffic), I hear a noise similar to how most manual cars sound when driving in reverse. Normal?
2) With car running and in neutral (clutch not depressed), I hear a noise...with clutch depressed noise goes away. From searching, this sounds like the TOB. Does this necessarily mean it needs to be replaced immediately?
3) When coasting then getting on the gas, I hear a clunk...sounds like it is coming from right below the shifter. The clunk can also happen inbetween shifts when driving easy. I did not stick any additional grease on the aluminum drive shaft yoke when I installed it. Would this possible be the issue?
4) Weird noise when in fifth gear. Around 1200-2000rpms, intermittent, and more pronounced when going uphill. I have no idea how to describe this sound other than it sounds like something spinning out of balance.

Sorry for sounding like such a nube, but I want to make sure I get my issues sorted out before the supercharger (Vortec V3) :)

Thanks!
1) For the noise are you talking about a whine? Not much to say unless you specify so I'll just hold off
2) Again what kind of noise? If you found that it's related to the tob then that would mean it's on its way out and will need replacing sooner rather than later
3) Shouldn't need additional grease to my knowledge...Not sure about this one at all...
4) I have never experienced any of these noises so I can't be of much help however if I had to guess this noise would probably somehow be related to the noise in number 3 no?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) whine/gear meshing noise...all manual cars that I have ever driven in reverse sound the same way.
2) Neutral noise sounds like a bearing spinning, kind of rough though. Sounds like if you spin a skateboard/roller-skate wheel. I have yet to come across a posting that noted what could possible result from a bad TOB. I did come across a few that mentioned it going on for a while though.
4) This is a tough one to describe. I think it might be related to the short throw, but it sounds like a whining noise at first and then a...I am going to have get a recording of this one.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Most of the noises you have described is increased NVH from and polyurethane mounts or bushings. Plus the shifter transmits alot more noise due to the lack of rubber compared to the stock unit. I used to run Mobil 1 trans fluid but found that Mercon V (filled to the proper level) smoothed out shifting and over all operation. As far as your TOB nose, If it is screeching or chirping, it should be addressed. A low level rumble isnt much to be concerned about , I have 11k miles on my car and have a slight rumble from mine. Good luck and keep modding!

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
So I bought this car a little over a month ago and it needed some work(92K on the clock). Suspension, brakes, check engine light, cleaning, etc. I finally got it road worthy, but now unfortunately I have some questions. Here's a list of what I have done for beginners...
*Energy Suspension - sway bar links/bushings, steering bushings, trans mount, and engine mount(yet to be done)
*Eibach pro damper struts
*Ford Racing - springs (m5300C), aluminum drive shaft, 3.73 gears(soon to be installed)
*Wearever - breaks/rotors all around (from autozone)
*NGK V-power spark plugs
*SVE full sub-frame connectors & drifts wheels 18-9/10 with nitto nt555
*SR performance short throw shifter
*J&M stainless brake lines
*Flowmaster cat back
*BAMA SCT tunner
*Mobile1 trans fluid

Thanks!
Congratulations on the new Mustang. It sounds like it needs some work, but nothing major which is good!

It sounds like you definitely need a new Throw out bearing, Trans mounts and Motor mounts. That should get rid of majority of your issues! Since the car isn't in front of me it's kind of hard to diagnose, However that's my suggestion.

Best of luck with the car and let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as your TOB nose, If it is screeching or chirping
A chirp problem describes it best, but I happens quick and its not very load nor often.

AMDanBailer, I already replaced the transmount with the poly mount from energy suspension. I will be order that ford throw out bearing shorty. Now I am wondering if I should get a clutch as well.

Does anyone know if the yoke needs to be greased(question 3)? I ask this, because I have a 2011 f150 ecoboost and there are complaints about a clunking when starting and stopping. Fords TSB for this was to grease the drive shaft.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a pic of the Pioneer Avic D3...

And the car...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
A chirp problem describes it best, but I happens quick and its not very load nor often.

AMDanBailer, I already replaced the transmount with the poly mount from energy suspension. I will be order that ford throw out bearing shorty. Now I am wondering if I should get a clutch as well.

Yes, no sense in doing the job twice.

Does anyone know if the yoke needs to be greased(question 3)? I ask this, because I have a 2011 f150 ecoboost and there are complaints about a clunking when starting and stopping. Fords TSB for this was to grease the drive shaft.
I don't think grease will help your clunk, your stiffer mounts are contributing to it. When you do your TOB and clutch, make sure everything is tight.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have figured out what the whirling/clunking noise was...I just got done rebuilding the trans with new bearings and syncros. No more noises!...shifts great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts