Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I just purchased my first mustang. Got a 92 mustang gt 5.0. Its got just under 68K miles on it. List of mods that I know of:
vortech v1 supercharger
K&N cold air intake
BBK shorty headers
BBK x-pipe no cats (I installed)
BBK 65mm throttle body
Ford Racing 90mm MAF (not installed)
Ford Racing 42lb injectors (not installed)
8mm hi temp superstock radio suppression core plug wires
Autolite platinum plus plugs
stock catback
smog delete kit
then I removed the tubing runing from the x pipe going to the back of heads from the back of heads to some rubber hoses in the engine bay which just made a loop with each other so figured they made no sence.
the blocks on the back of heads that the tubing was goin to I just crimped the ends and welded them shut so they wouldnt leak
Tokico suspension shocks struts which are adjustable
camber caster plates
rear disk brake conversion
slotted front rotors
4:10 rear end gears
white face gauge cluster
white face heater control gauge (I installed)
single a pillar gauge pod w/ autometer boost gauge
Boost gauge wasnt working when I got but found the 1/8" line had a couple holes in it so I fixed it and now its not working again but dont see any holes in it. Any ideas?
Interior is near mint, almost looks brand new all stock even the radio and has the stock equalizer.

It had a automatic transmission in it with a light weight flywheel and a shift kit when I got it but it was junk, had a hard time shifting, think the clutchs were burnt up in it. So I did a 5 speed swap. Alot of work but well worth it. Just put a resurfaced stock flywheel, and a new stock clutch in it. Got a used T5 tranny and later found out it was a T5 out of a 4 cylinder so it is junk now cause all the power is starting to tear some bearings up or the syncros up (not really sure) on the inside and it is geared compleatly wrong for the V8. So gonna get a new tranny and lite weight flywheel and performance clutch over winter.

The car has a camealion paint job on it and looks sweet, also has 17" chrome cobra wheels on it.

Im looking for some input on what else I should do to it over the winter. Looking to get some more HP out of it but not wanting to spend alot right away. And I've noticed going around corners around 20 25 mph the back ends seems like it wants to hop a little and wants to hop when the back end looses traction from the tires spinning.
What do you guys recomend for parts when I do the new tranny. Also what catback should I do, I figgured I would do the Flowmaster american thunder series in 2.5" alumanized.
Gotta get different headlights for it also, wanna do a 1 piece design with HID's these lights I have suck at night, Im use to my bright ass lights on my 05 Silverado.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
you can put a smaller pulley on the blower and go get it tuned, whats it puttin down right now?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isit as easy as just putting a smaller pully on or do you need to do more because I seen upgrade kits for like $900 which comes with a bunch of different parts so you can get more boost out of the charger. I've seen between 3 to 4 psi so far
how much hp can the stock motor handle and how much boost. anyone have a idea bout how much hp it would have right now

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats all that I have seen so far. I really havent taken it to its full potential because of the screwed up tranny, all I do is spin in 1st and 2nd gear and with the noises that I hear I dont want anything to break right now. Plus the boost gauge only as worked for a few days. I believe Ive seen the v1 only can put out like 3-4 psi anyways

·
Registered
142 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Bedford u put a pulley on. I would buy a new vac guage and make sure the vaccum is right. Then check all your intake hoses for leaks. Check the bypass valve too.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Looks like you already have a power pipe, and it looks like you got the stock 3.33 upper pulley. Just to correct the wrong info you were told, te v1 can do well past 10psi. 4 is nothing. If I were in your shoes, I'd do a 6.87 on the crank pulley and it would make 10psi. Upgrade the bypass to the vortech and that thing would move.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Nice car. Now you just need to get all those kinks straightened out and get her to her full potential.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like you already have a power pipe, and it looks like you got the stock 3.33 upper pulley. Just to correct the wrong info you were told, te v1 can do well past 10psi. 4 is nothing. If I were in your shoes, I'd do a 6.87 on the crank pulley and it would make 10psi. Upgrade the bypass to the vortech and that thing would move.
Ok sounds like you know alot about this, I really dont so what do you mean by power pipe? I do know the V1 can put out past 10 psi but the way it comes stock its only like 4 max, you just gotta upgrade parts on it. So where do I find a 6>87 crank pully, and how do I go about upgrading the bypass to the vortech. I also plan on removing the stock fan and going with a electric fan so Im not sure if that will effect anything, do you? All your help is very appreciated. Only bad thing about adding more power to this thing is the lack of traction lol.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Ok sounds like you know alot about this, I really dont so what do you mean by power pipe? I do know the V1 can put out past 10 psi but the way it comes stock its only like 4 max, you just gotta upgrade parts on it. So where do I find a 6>87 crank pully, and how do I go about upgrading the bypass to the vortech. I also plan on removing the stock fan and going with a electric fan so Im not sure if that will effect anything, do you? All your help is very appreciated. Only bad thing about adding more power to this thing is the lack of traction lol.
A power pipe is on the intake size and allows more air flow cfm wise.. normally gain a lb or two of boost with one over stock and the v1 head unit makes more then 4lbs stock out of the box. I'd say you have issues leaking boost if your only making 4lbs.

bypass valve helps to reduce the chance of blowing a head gasket
or the motor etc and is suppose to help with the driveability as well. They can be found at any performance place on the net like superchargersonline.com etc.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Slow down.. Don't buy anything until you figure out what you have ;)
Before buying pulleys and looking for more boost, I'd determine which V1 you have and what size injector/fuel capability you have like what fuel injectors (what color are they) or do you have a booster fuel pump or at least a larger in tank one etc... There at like 4 models of V1. You can email/call Vortech with the serial number or browse around their site for the specs on each, you can narrow it down by measuring the suction and discharge size as I believe each model V1 has different sizes. Vortech Supercharger Comparison Chart is a good start, they used to have nice pictures with all the dimension but I can't find it now. The A trim which all information about it seems to have disappeared from Vortechs site, is good for about 4-6psi and the kit did not come with a bypass valve or an FMU. If you don't have a bypass on the discharge pipe, it is probably an A trim.

Both of my foxes have the American Thunder cat back. In my opinion, they are nice on a stockish car and I love the sound but way too loud on a car making some decent power or without cats. Just my opinion but most people like them loud, I don't. Many people don't buy Flowmaster because everyone else has them.

It looks nice, have fun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
oh and also i was told the injectors that are in are stock size, and im not really sure about the MAF. The car also does have a BBK 65mm throttle body.

I did get a set of Ford Racing 42lb injectors brand new in the box from the guy that I bought it from and also a brand new Ford Racing 90mm MAF. I planned on putting them on the car over winter after a few more modds and then first thing in the spring taking it to get tuned and dyno'd. Theres a guy in Byron IL named Bob Kurgan that specializes in mustangs and is suppose to be the best of the best so I wanna have him do it.

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Nice, Get some pics of what you do to put up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the supercharger is a Vortech V-1 serial number is 00644 and then below that on the tag is this- Carb E.O.D - 213-3

The pully has 8 ribs and 7 grooves so I would assume that would be called a 8 rib pulley, and I measured the outside diameter of the pulley and that was 3.610" im not sure if you measure the outside edge or the area where the belt actually rides on but I couldnt measure that area because the belt is installed right now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I called Vortech tech help and I gave the guy the serial number and he said he has no info on it cause its so old. he said its prolly 10 to 13 years old. So that kinda sucks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts