Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying "hello". Picked up a 2006 GT this past weekend, and while I'm not new to Mustangs ('67 fastback, '69 coupe, '87 GT, '93 LX 5.0, '96 Cobra), I am new to this gen. Spent a few years building a supercharged TPI corvette, but otherwise have been out of the mod game for a while.

Really enjoying my first few days with it, and it's in almost perfect shape at 47,xxx miles.

Car came with a few mods that I know about:

C&L CAI
Underdrive pulley kit (can't remember the manufacturer)
Flowmast axle backs

The coils look aftermarket (blue), but I'm not clear on that just yet, and the top label descriptions escape me at the moment. I suspect the car has gears as well (though I haven't tested rpm's) as I hear a slight whine and rpm's rise fairly quickly.

There are a few things I'd like to do (yeah, this list has about 0% chance of staying this short):

1. I'd like to widen the track a little, but really like the polished 18's. Might do a 25mm spacer, slip on some 255's, and install some coil overs for good measure.

2. MGW shifter.

3. Gears, if it turns out not to have 'em already.

4. Some brake upgrades; rotors, pads, lines. Not sure about a big brake package (see the wheel comment above).

The big question is (aside from how much I can slip by the wife) whether to stay NA or not. But that's down the road a bit.

Anyway, diggin' the site, so :3gears

·
Registered
889 Posts
first of all.. Welcome!! ohh def found it funny with that 0% chance thing... I dont think there is anyone on this site that can keep anything stock for long.. hell i had parts ready to go for my car before I even bought the thing!

I have the polished 18s on my car (wanna buy em?) LOL! the stock is 235/50/18 and you can run 255's on them max no problem. they are 18 x 8.5in. Some ppl even run 275 on them (for instance Beerhunter on these forums). They look pretty cool but there is a bulge that some ppl like and some don't but it is not recommended.

I dont understand why you would need spacers unless you want to use your stock rims and have it stick out a lil bit more.

Also some ppl are running 18x9's all around with 275's in all 4 corners so you can safely put a good amount of meat on these tires in either corner, but 275 is the most I would go up front as well as 18x9 up front.

The other question I can answer for you is that obviously stock our cars are 300 HP, and it has been done, but it takes ALOT to get to 400 HP NA. So if you are going to be pushing for close or want to exceed 400 HP, a blower is the way to go! I will be getting one in like 2 yrs. Getting my suspension taken care of now. New wheels hopefully soon enough!

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Welcome!

That is awesome. S197's are an excellent choice.

If you ever need any suspension advice, please contact me.

Again, welcome again!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Welcome! Yeah that list will def grow. I told myself i was just gonna tint the windows and get an exhaust six months ago, gears intake tune and long tubes in the mail and I'm already planning what's next! You have a great foundation for a good build. As stated you may want to think about a sc as staying na gets very pricey and its hard to reach the 400hp mark. Goodluck to you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome, all! I'll be picking lots of brains, for sure.

I'll get some pics posted up shortly. All I have right now are some fuzzies from the dealer site.

Oh, quick question: I'm trying to figure our it the mid-pipe is aftermarket or not. Given that I'm not familiar with this gen (the fox's had two pre-cats forward and two converters aft), and that there are only two converters forward, I'm curious if this is the stock layout?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
welcome.
stock midpipe on the s197 has only 2 cats, 1 on each side.
you can see them from the engine bay, right after the exhaust manifolds.

do you have a hand held tuner yet?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Want to get on top of the learning curve? Read all the "stickies" on this site, and a few other sites, over the course of a few days. It's what I did when I first bought my car, and I learned a ton right off the bat.

Congrats on your new ride.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i think about the only thing being n/a does for you is gives you the right to say "but i'm n/a" as someone else passes you that's blown.

n/a sounds damn good, but for the money you won't ever come close to the same power as a sc'ed stock long block. the sc'er will likely be better on gas also. i personally just did the top end on mine and still only got to 315rwhp. maybe could have gotten more from a better tuner, but who knows. the only reason i didn't go with a sc'er first was because the one i wanted (kenne bell 2.8 mammoth) was going to push my stock long short block past what i was comfortable with even if it was tuned as low as possible.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Welcome to MM!

Build with a final goal in mind and keep the costs down. I love the NA as I race in a NA class so getting passed by a boosted or jucied ride only happens on the street and I let that go as unimportant....Good luck on the car, another fun adventure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No gears...checked the rpm's on the ride home tonight. 1,750 rpm @ 60 mph in 5th, oh well, better for boosted app later.

I always TRY and start with a plan. Like, oh I'll install the old planetary ball Paxton kit, and I'm done. Wait, to much drag, I'll step up to a V-2 SQ kit, and then I'm done. Well, while I'm at it, those AFR's would go well, and while I'm at THAT, I might as well put 'em on a new short block and I'll need a cam and intake to boot, but I need a new trans to handle all that....etc, etc, etc. You know what I'm talking about.

I'm glad to be back in the pony crowd. I had MANY a fun time back in the day, and the bottle was my number one choice (since that's all I could afford back then anyway) for generating grins.

I want a nice handling, blast-to-drive DD'er. I've got my modded Blackbird for those necessary trips to the insanity zone.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
that is exactly why your goal shouldn't be to add xxx mods. if you want to race it what is your goal to achieve. ie: mine is a high 10 second car that i can still drive on vacation if i want to.

maybe you want just a fast dd street only car. well everyone knows you can only use so much power on the street.

·
Resident Utahrd
1,411 Posts
:welcome to MM! :wave

:pics

What happened to your 'Vette?

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome!

Sounds like a good plan for starters, especially the MGW shifter and the brake upgrade.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Welcome!

We need to see some pics though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts