Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully you guys can help me. I bought a 1989 5.0, supercharged with a powerdyne 5psi. There is a medium cam and exhaust, everything else is stock, any idea what wuld or should be next for the car? also the car does a little surging 800- 1200, is that normal for a supercharged car? any information would be healpfull, its a 5 spd. thanks, im new to this forum.

·
Banned
808 Posts
try the 5.0 section
they can probably help

·
Registered
540 Posts
Heads would make a huge difference. If the fuel system is up to its task, go with Trick Flow tw 185s

One thing that came to my mind about surging, have you checked gap on plugs?

·
Registered
540 Posts
+ you can run more boost safely, lowering intake temperature lowers risk of knocking

- only thing i came up with is cost.

Before intercooler you should at least change the heads, stock ones are useless. And bigger injectors, MAF, fuel pump, intake manifold, throttlebody+egr spacer. With those mods done engine will feel totally different, after that more boost. With 5psi, you dont gain anything with intercooler. Maybe at 8psi, over 10 it is good to have, but not necessary.

Reactions: Lauri

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm not so familiar with that yet, but will be in near future cause i have Kenne Bell, no easy way to add intercooler to that.

What water does is lowers the temperature of burning mixture, again making it safer to run more boost. Methanol adds octane, smaller risk of knocking. Meth also has lower burning temperature than gasoline, so it lowers even more the temperature in cylinder.

With water/meth injection you dont need to retard ignition that much, but failure or water run out => total destruction :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
+ you can run more boost safely, lowering intake temperature lowers risk of knocking

- only thing i came up with is cost.
Agreed. Intercooling does not get you power if you're cooling air after compression. It will allow you to run higher boost without fear of detonation.

I highly recommend the intercooler assembly- air to air if possible. On a Powerdyne, I believe A-A is best. Some manufacturers make it impossible to do A-A so W-A is the only route.

However, everyone above is right to an extent- if you modify engine components you will feel quite a gain especially with forced induction.

I strongly recommend the intercooler first since you're heating the air through compression. Ford did not do the greatest job designing the ring-lands on the pistons, so that's your primary failure mode at the moment. Intercooling your supercharger would help keep things at a good temperature and allow for more boost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Agreed. Intercooling does not get you power if you're cooling air after compression. It will allow you to run higher boost without fear of detonation.

I highly recommend the intercooler assembly- air to air if possible. On a Powerdyne, I believe A-A is best. Some manufacturers make it impossible to do A-A so W-A is the only route.

However, everyone above is right to an extent- if you modify engine components you will feel quite a gain especially with forced induction.

I strongly recommend the intercooler first since you're heating the air through compression. Ford did not do the greatest job designing the ring-lands on the pistons, so that's your primary failure mode at the moment. Intercooling your supercharger would help keep things at a good temperature and allow for more boost.
I agree, check this out for sure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts