Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im lookin to buy a fox body stang to make a street/strip car this summer even tho ill probly use it more for the strip. i have a few questions

1. how strong are the 302 blocks?
2. how much can they be bored and stroked?
3. how strong are the tranny and the rearends?
4. how much should i be looking to pay for a decent stang?

any help is greatly appreciated

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
don't know much about 1,2,3. but you should be able to find a foxbody in good shape for under 4k.

what part of VA?

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
I think blocks are good to 450 hp

I dont know on the bore and stroke but 347 with juice is coming close to the max hp you want for the block

the tranny will prob poop out after a couple seasons at 400hp(aod) t-5 not sure

the 8.8 is pretty strong with newer gears and 31 spline axles

for a very decent hardtop your prob looking at $4000

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think blocks are good to 450 hp

I dont know on the bore and stroke but 347 with juice is coming close to the max hp you want for the block

the tranny will prob poop out after a couple seasons at 400hp

the 8.8 is pretty strong with newer gears and 31 spline axles

for a very decent hardtop your prob looking at $4000

would i be better off puttin a 351 in it?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
im lookin to buy a fox body stang to make a street/strip car this summer even tho ill probly use it more for the strip. i have a few questions

1. how strong are the 302 blocks?
2. how much can they be bored and stroked?
3. how strong are the tranny and the rearends?
4. how much should i be looking to pay for a decent stang?

any help is greatly appreciated

1. They handle about 500hp or so safely.
2. 4.030 bore and 3.400 stroke safely (347).
3. Tranny - not very strong. Rear end - strong but still needs some work.
4. No more than $4000 for a good condition car if it is stock or near stock. You might pay a bit more for something that has some decent modifications done to it. Shop around and don't be in a hurry. Alot of people think these cars are made of gold and ask way too much money for them.

Reactions: Rhythm Stick

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
would i be better off puttin a 351 in it?
Depends.

A 351W is about 70 pounds more than a 302 and has a taller deck height. It is more of a pain in the ass than what it is worth to swap unless you plan on making some big horsepower.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
351 leaves you a lot of room to grow :D stroke the 351 if you can do it with your budget, I say go for it. the blocks can hold alot more hp. you would have to get convertible motor mounts and mabey a new hood

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would i need to buy a better tranny or could i just beef up the one in it?

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
If you don't abuse it the tranny will last a while.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
this is my summer project so i dont have the cash to get the car yet but im gettin a second job after i graduate.
well that'll give you an idea. you can get better than that for less money. they are ALWAYS available.

·
Registered
569 Posts
my car is in better condition than that from what i can tell and mines mostly stock i wouldnt expect 3800 for it though

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
if u have the stock t-5 rebuilt with a new thrust plate new syncros,new steel bearing retainer and have a preload put on both shafts and get a pro 5.0 shifter it will last a while with a good clutch and good driver.

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if u have the stock t-5 rebuilt with a new thrust plate new syncros,new steel bearing retainer and have a preload put on both shafts and get a pro 5.0 shifter it will last a while with a good clutch and good driver.
the t-5 is a 5 speed right? i found a 6 speed tranny for a fox body on ebay. would 5 or 6 gears be better for drag racing?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
T-5 is the 5 speed.

Generally the less shifting you have to do the better on the track, less time off the throttle. That rule doesn't always apply depending on a lot of things like the powerband of the engine, weight of the car, gearing, ability of the driver, ect... Depending on what that 6 speed is (usually Cobra trans), it most likely can handle a lot more power than a stock T-5.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts