Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys this coming up summer/Spring after i get my steeda pulley my pops is going to take me to the track to let me drag. heres the thing tho i have 1997 GT stang (Mods listed in sig) and its auto:(... I was wonder is any art to driving auto at the dragstip or is it basically just flooring it off the line?:3gears

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
stage, and take off. you will be jumpy and excited your first time, but you will get over it. the auto's shift pretty close to where they should, but every car is different. i would suggest to leave in drive for your first pass and get a feel for the track. if for some reason you arent happy with it, then try to manually shift it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
w/ the tune that i have i always get the best results w/ i leave it in drive! i tried shifting it manually but times seemed faster w/ leaving it in drive, but like 2kstang said every car is diffrent so give it a few passes feel her out!

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
some key things to remember- avoid the water box, just drive around it. unless youre using slicks. And if u run on street tires, dont do a long burnout. a long burnout will hurt the tires traction. just spin em for a couple seconds so fresh rubber is exposed.

and try different launching methods to find the one that works best for your car. heres two to consider. stage up on the line and hold the brake down with your left foot. on green, simultaneously let off the brake while stomping the gas with right foot or stage up on the line and brake-torque the car and then launch.

im gonna mention this cuz ive heard of people doing it. do not try staging up on line, putting car in neutral, revving up, and then dropping into drive on green light. it wont help your times and it will be really hard on your auto tranny.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
good point will, i but my foot on the break and rev it until 1500-1700 rpm's and at the light stomp the gas! thinking of launching at 2500rpm's next time i go since tires dont spin as much when at the streets! do you think that would help or hurt my reaction times?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
since tires dont spin as much when at the streets!
what do u mean here? did u get some new tires that grab the road/street better?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
some key things to remember- avoid the water box, just drive around it. unless youre using slicks. And if u run on street tires, dont do a long burnout. a long burnout will hurt the tires traction. just spin em for a couple seconds so fresh rubber is exposed.

and try different launching methods to find the one that works best for your car. heres two to consider. stage up on the line and hold the brake down with your left foot. on green, simultaneously let off the brake while stomping the gas with right foot or stage up on the line and brake-torque the car and then launch.

im gonna mention this cuz ive heard of people doing it. do not try staging up on line, putting car in neutral, revving up, and then dropping into drive on green light. it wont help your times and it will be really hard on your auto tranny.
ya i heard it was really hard on auto trannys

k so basically just keep my left foot on the brake and right when it turns green simultaneously let my foot of the brake and stomp the gas.

thanks guys for the help!:D can't wait to see what my car is capable of doing at the track.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
good luck man! youre gonna have a blast, im sure of it! and dont forget to also try brake-torqueing your car at the line after u stage. that will pre-load your drive train and your car will start pulling sooner after u let off the brake. the only bad thing about doing that is you might be more at risk of spinning your tires too much.

let us know how it goes:cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Avoid the water box and turn off the overdrive. Then let her rip.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good luck man! youre gonna have a blast, im sure of it! and dont forget to also try brake-torqueing your car at the line after u stage. that will pre-load your drive train and your car will start pulling sooner after u let off the brake. the only bad thing about doing that is you might be more at risk of spinning your tires too much.

let us know how it goes:cool:

lol not going yet i'll be going like maybe earliest probably in may. if not i'll for sure be going in june and alot during the summer but thanks tho:Di'm thing my car will hopefully once i get the pulley that my car will do at least 14s range hopefully low 14 but doubt i'll get that until i get better and if i continue modding my stang:)

and never heard of brake-torqueing? what that:confused:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Avoid the water box and turn off the overdrive. Then let her rip.
will do

btw my i'm going to be getting new street tires mid summer summer so i get to have some fun with the old ones:D:cool:

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Hold down the brake hard and press on the gas to "pre-load" your car. Once the light turns green let off the brake and MASH the gas.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hold down the brake hard and press on the gas to "pre-load" your car. Once the light turns green let off the brake and MASH the gas.
alright thanks

isn't that hard on somthin tho like the rear end?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
right, but when u are staged at the line dont press the gas all the way down. i would say press it about half way. brake-torqueing your car is kinda like doing a burnout, except u dont press the gas down to the point where your tires would start spinning.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
right, but when u are staged at the line dont press the gas all the way down. i would say press it about half way. brake-torqueing your car is kinda like doing a burnout, except u dont press the gas down to the point where your tires would start spinning.
o ok thanks

i really want to go now :D

btw i know this is kinda off the subject but u guys think next year during my senior year of HS do u guys think that i should try to start a dragging club where we go out to the dragstip maybe every 2-3 months and just drag each other. ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can do burn outs but it doesn't help on the street tires. Also on holding the brake and loading the car. Usually if you do that it will cause the POS tranny / converter to overheat. Your better off with appling light gas and brake. Hold around 1200-1300 and smack it when you take off. That will help the converter flash up as much as it's going to. Good luck

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
lol not going yet i'll be going like maybe earliest probably in may. if not i'll for sure be going in june and alot during the summer but thanks tho:Di'm thing my car will hopefully once i get the pulley that my car will do at least 14s range hopefully low 14 but doubt i'll get that until i get better and if i continue modding my stang:)

low 14's don't hold your breath. If your auto prob a low 15. Skip the burnout box hold your foot on the break and then mash the gas heat up the tires real quick. Get to the line hold your left foot on the break, then with your right foot ease in on the gas so your rpms rise, hold your rpms. when the light goes green just eas it in. Also launch with over drive off then turn it back on around 40.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts