Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 3.8 5 speed that had minor engine vibration untill temp is up, just put a new anchor trans mount in and now it feels like the harmonic balancer is shot even when warmed up. it is horrible over 2000 rpm but ok under. trans is also now very very close to the chassis tunnel on passenger side with new mount, cant even slide my finger between trans and chassis. i could instantly feel the shake/vib when i started it. the old ford mount was very loose and soft compaired to new one. the motor mounts are new also but they were replaced 6 months ago. wtf is going on? anyone see this before? new mount no good or too stiff?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Are these symptoms only when the vehicle is in motion or at idle as well? If you say your new mount is stiffer that's obviously contributed to the rougher vibration but may not be the problem. Stiff motor mounts such as ones used in performance vehicles are known to cause more vibration, so some of that is to be expected, but unless the new mount was installed incorrectly I'd say something else is probably the root cause of your problem.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you think balancer is f&$^ed? and that why it always had minor vibration. vibration started overnight back in 08 around the same time clutch was done. and i could never track it down. new trans mount is anchor rubber oem replacement. what worrys me tho is the trans is very close to trans tunel now as if mount is too tall or incorrect fit. is there special procedure for replacing mounts that it might need? also wondering if trans crossmemer is reversed if that is possible... its def in the engine, not in ds or rear

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would try to get an oem ford motorcraft mount if your concerned that the new one isn't a good fit. I've never installed transmission mounts before but I could see how one that is out of position could cause major vibrations. If your sure that the mount is good, then I'd assume the harmonic balancer is the next most likely culprit. The reason I asked if it only shakes during idle, driving or both is because, if it's only during driving and progressively gets worse with speed, then it could be a seized ball joint. A bad ball joint will make your front end act like it's skipping across the ground and shake violently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts