Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i burnt my overdrive up in my transmission and i think its time for a new one, preferably one that will be good and RELAILBE when i turbo my car for graduation. but i no nothing about transmissions so what are some good ones for my car? or should i just beef up the one i have? btw its an automatic

·
Registered
345 Posts
T-56 swap, the auto is ok, but how could you not want the 6 speed

·
Registered
461 Posts
4r70w if you want another automatic. They are solid transmissions and with a tuner you can make good hard shifts with.

Personally I'd go out and find either a solid 5 speed transmission that is electronically controlled and get a set of aggressive paddle shifters and a paddle shift kit and go have a blast.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
high stall and 4r70w with shift kit, or manual swap it with a new clutch and short shifter.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
stock 4r70w and a trans cooler will prob handle more than you will ever make...

how did you go about burning out o/d ?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
keep the 4r70w and buy a shift kit for it. manual swap would be a waste of $ unless you really desired it.

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
Sure the car with an A/T wont be as fun to drive as a M/T... But the 4r70w can handle more power than the T-5. Hence why a bunch of the Cobras putting down a bunch of power do a manual to auto swap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I mean I obviously would love a manual but the $ it would cost to change my car to that just isin't worth it. And he said just from driving my car too hard and "hot rodding it" everywhere i go, but I didin't have to pay a dime cause my car was still under warranty from the last time i tore the transmission up lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it wouldnt shift out of third gear with o/d on. and idk i never shifted manually or anything and i never just threw it in to neutral at random times so i really dont know how it happened

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
it wouldnt shift out of third gear with o/d on. and idk i never shifted manually or anything and i never just threw it in to neutral at random times so i really dont know how it happened

Anybody else want to point out the ignorance in this or should I just handle it?

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
please do Kyle ...
Well Mike, actually it might not be ignorance.... Maybe I should just ask the question.

Most people figure overdrive on is when the car has the green o/d light on the dash... Is that what you mean by "wouldn't **** out of third gear with o/d on" ?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Yeah when the o/d light is it it prevents your from going into 4th gear. So if you needed to be in a lower gear going up a hill you would push overdrive so you stay in 3rd.

When auto trannys go they burn more than 1 gear usually? My brothers s4 burnt out 5,4,3 and 1,2 are still working. Auto to 6 speed swap going on atm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts