Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Downloaded a new tune. Started it up. Exhaust sounded louder and a weird smell came from exhaust but not real fuel smelling. When i drove it i could kind of feel the exhaust through the bottom of the car or pedal that was different from the Brenspeed tune. Any idea why this is happening. Car seems to have more power down low than after 3K like the Brenspeed.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of custom tuning. That difference is the advanced timing, altered a/f, and the smell could be anything.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
What he said^.

When you play with timing and a/f ratios, you can change everything- right down to how the car behaves cold, how sensitive the throttle is, and even how the exhaust smells. It can at times smell rich or lean.... with my tune combined with the 4.10's, if you try and drive the car before you let it set for a minute, the throttle is so sensitive it's insane.

If you're not throwing codes, not getting any detonation, or smoking when you shouldn't be, and your exhaust tips aren't turning black in a week, and she's making good power, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
What he said^.

When you play with timing and a/f ratios, you can change everything- right down to how the car behaves cold, how sensitive the throttle is, and even how the exhaust smells. It can at times smell rich or lean.... with my tune combined with the 4.10's, if you try and drive the car before you let it set for a minute, the throttle is so sensitive it's insane.

If you're not throwing codes, not getting any detonation, or smoking when you shouldn't be, and your exhaust tips aren't turning black in a week, and she's making good power, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Out of curiousity, what if your exhaust tips are turning black?

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Back when my car was on the bottle I couldn't drive the car in cold weather. I had to drive a few times in sub freezing temps, and she didn't like it. In hot weather though she ran great. I had the car tuned when I got in NC by Bigwood Racing, and the car performed exceptionally well.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If they are turning black some shops have told me that the car is running rich...from all the carbon build up. You can see it on ricers and ****...how the back of their bumpers above the exhaust is like a patch of black...thats usually the carbon build up

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
my tips are always black....from the nitrous tune, im always a tad on the rich side...im used to it

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think alot of email tunes are a little bit rich to be on the safe side. They dont want to risk it being to lean and popping the motor
^^^ Exactly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts