Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2005 GT 5sp with a Whipple supercharger. Car runs great and I have put on about 1,000 miles since I bought it (last Oct). Not real car savy and pretty much know nothing of its history. Does anyone have any tips on finding out things I may need to know such as what type of tune and what mods have been done. How would I find out who or what tuned this thing? What if something were to go wrong and it would need tuned again. Is there a way to back up whats there for the future?
From what I have been reading you cant just hook up any tuner and download the tune and look at it and save it (although that would just make sense if you could). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !! :eek:

·
Registered
889 Posts
well taking pictures definitely will help us

·
Registered
775 Posts
Prob the #1 thing to do is to find the person whom you bought it from and see what he did to it and if he had it like that when he got it chances are he prob be able to give you whom/where he got it. You just gotta do some research and trace it back. It's easy just time consuming.... im not to sure why you'd buy a car w/o knowing anything about it or about it's history before you spend money. Too late now. After that I would take your vin number and run a carfax report. Next, I'd take it to a dyno shop. If its a FORD WHIPPLE S/C chances are it just has the aftermarket ford racing tune w/ it which is needed because of the s/c. The shop should be able to run a diagnostic test on your car to see whats up. If its a reputable shop they should be able to help you out and retune your car to your liking all the while prob will give you a more agressive tune to bring out your s/c power.

Your wrong about tuners. Okay here's how flash tunes work. First flash tunes are different a chip tune. Flash tunes are loaded up on what you call a handheld such a diablo or SCT. When you plug it into your port it copies your current "stock" tune onto its hardware and saves it in case something happens and uploads a "canned tune" (such as different octane tunes) or a custom tuned that is unique to your car by what mods it has on it. These custom tunes can also be stored and updated on the handheld by you, the user.

Hope that helps you start your quest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Joedirt,

I'm in a similar boat. As you no doubt obviously did, I ran a Carfax prior to even getting anywhere near serious about the car. I also ran it through 2 state databases. Everything came back totally clean, so I went and checked the car out thoroughly. It's a sweetheart 2006 with 19k miles on it, so I bought it.

Perhaps like you, I traded a car in for it at a Ford Dealer, so I don't have ready access to the prior owner. Unlike sonicx, I think it's a great way to buy a SC car if you check it out right. Admittedly, I have a heavy background in automotive, but I got the car way under book with a nice working low mileage blower setup on it already! Saved a truckload of cash. Appears after factory SC cars scare a lot of buyers off... good for me!

It had some surging under power, so I eliminated some air leaks by tightening up some hose clamps on the CAI. It now runs great. I've put about 1500 miles on it so far and just love the car. It's pretty snappy even at high altitude where I live. It had some noisy bearings on one of the small idlers; easily solved with some #203 alternator ball bearings.

It's a non-intercooled FRPP Whipple, so I'm thinking I'll go with the "Big Boost Upgrade Kit". I read where one guy in here had his tuning shop run into all kinds of problems trying to re-flash the car after the big boost upgrade since they couldn't first flash it back to stock. Many indicate that the re flash unit can just store the FRPP tune like it's the stock tune and then install the canned tune from there. But that sure didn't work with this other FRPP/Whipple owner! Wish I could find that freakin' thread again. So I'm a bit concerned about that. I'll ask some questions of VMP or whomever about that before I commit too much to the Big Boost upgrade.

My question finally: How do you tell the difference between the Gen I and Gen II Whipple SC? Does the unit have to be off the car to figure that out?

Thanks!

MMike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts