Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok took out old mach sound system 6 disc cd changer and amps. put in 4 new alpine speakers, amp and 2 12' alpine type R and a flip up touch screen dvd player.

had to move tweter speaker plugs down to play the door speakers becouse door speakers did not work after i took the mach out.

what harness do i need and how do i get the door wires to work again

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
personally I would just run all new wires... power switched and constant, ground then your speaker leads. I mean you already swapped out all the components, so just bypass the factory amps and wiring all together. save a few headaches and have a bit better sounding system...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok how to rewire a car isnt hard but i dont know where to get the hadware to do it. Im looking to remove every part of the mach sound system out of the car including the wireing but dont know where to find a repacement wireing system forthe aftermarket speakes ext..

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
ok, go to wal-mart or the like. get a roll of 14g speaker wire. get an amp wiring kit with at least 4g power wire. get 2 RCA cables (assuming your running both front and rear off the amp....) go to the auto section of wal-mart and get a roll of 12-14g wire. go home.

I normally pull the passenger seat out of a car, pull out teh back seat, and pull up the passenger scuff plate and roll the carpeting up so I can get at the floor. I run the RCA's down near the center console under the carpet, the speaker leads for BOTH front channels along the outer edge near where the scuff plate would be. And I run all my amp power and remote turn on leads down the drivers side scuff plate under the carpet. this keeps everything nice and separated, and avoids issues with the power wires causing interference with the audio signals.

on your HU you are gonna need both constant and switched positive and a ground.

On the factory wiring harness, look for the black and pink striped wire. This should be the 12v+ switched wire, attach to the switched wire in your HU

On the factory wiring harness, look for the purple and blue striped wire. this should be the 12v+ constant wire, attach to the constant wire for your HU.

attach the HU's black ground lead to the metal frame.

plug the RCA cables into the RCA outs for front and rear. Run the RCA's into the trunk or to where ever you have your amps mounted. (they are mounted right? not just laying on the carpet so they can slide around if someone hits you.... Right?? ) Plug in the front RCA outs to the front channel of the amp, and the same for the rear.

attach speaker wire to the Speaker out for the right side of the front channel and run wire up to the front right speaker and repeat for all speakers. I normally use the copper or striped wire as teh positive, but it really don't matter as long as positive from the amp goes to positive to the speaker. Just remember to do the same for all the speakers so later there is no confusion as to what is what...

Run your 4g wire from the positive terminal on your battery, fused within 12 inches or less, through the firewall grommet and along the drivers side scuff plate under the carpet to the back or where ever your amp is mounted. run a length of the 12-14g wire you bought along with it from the HU to the back. this little wire goes to the remote turn on on the amp. Attach the 4g wire to the positive terminal on the amp.

Remove one of your seat belt bolts from the back seat and sand all the paint off with in a 1 inch circle around the bolt hole. Your amp kit should have a ring terminal that you crimp onto the end of the ground wire and it allows you to bolt it to the car for a good connection. Seat belt bolts are a great place to attach these. Just clean up the area with sand paper or the like first to get a good connection. Connect this wire to your amp ground terminal.

plug the harness into your HU and turn it on to test that all channels are working right and are not switched up ie. right channel is playing out the left speaker and front is playing out the back... Assuming that all is playing good and correctly, button everything up, replace all panels and carpet and what not and go for a drive listening to your new tunes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the factory wiring harness

dont want to use any part ofthe factory wireing harness just want to leave it and make a 2nd wireing harness in the car that way i have a aftermarkt and the origonal mach 460 wire setup is this possable?

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
ok, so run a 12g wire from your batt pos into the cap and hook to the 12v+ constant on the HU. find a wire that is hot only with the ignition on and splice a wire into it and run it to the HU's switched 12v+.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts