Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all I am a mustang virgin lol so if I ask stupid questions sorry im not the smartest =P
Ok so I just moved to lexington KY and I found my dream car 1988 Mustang I drove one once and loved it since then...
I like the 1988 cause thats the year I was born..

Its a 1988 GT Mustang 5 spd with a 302 I got it for 2500$ (hope it was a good deal) its in good shape a little rust over the passenger fenderwell (just like slight rust not bad at all) its silver for now...I'll get pics up tomorrow

Ok now the questions (sorry if they are dumb)
Is the 302 a 5.0? and what can I just bolt on to have a little more power (nothing major) and also it has a miss in it the guy told me it was prob the injectors or spark plugs ok I know how to change spark plugs but where can I take it to clean out the injectors? or what would I have to do about them?

Im just happy Im finally getting my mustang my insurance is 300$ a month ouch!
Thanks for all the answers in advance
P.S. its Fuel Injected if that matter

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
start off by replacing plugs, wires, and maybe a cap and rotor and maybe even a coil......i would start off trying to just run some lucas oil injector cleaner first

as far as putting some more pep in your stangs step put some 3.73 gears in it.....they dont actually make more power of course but do make it faster

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Hello all I am a mustang virgin lol so if I ask stupid questions sorry im not the smartest =P
Ok so I just moved to lexington KY and I found my dream car 1988 Mustang I drove one once and loved it since then...
I like the 1988 cause thats the year I was born..

Its a 1988 GT Mustang 5 spd with a 302 I got it for 2500$ (hope it was a good deal) its in good shape a little rust over the passenger fenderwell (just like slight rust not bad at all) its silver for now...I'll get pics up tomorrow

Ok now the questions (sorry if they are dumb)
Is the 302 a 5.0? and what can I just bolt on to have a little more power (nothing major) and also it has a miss in it the guy told me it was prob the injectors or spark plugs ok I know how to change spark plugs but where can I take it to clean out the injectors? or what would I have to do about them?

Im just happy Im finally getting my mustang my insurance is 300$ a month ouch!
Thanks for all the answers in advance
P.S. its Fuel Injected if that matter
I bought mine for 2500 and it was a total pos

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow that sucks lets hope mine isnt lol

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i got mine for 2000.....ran great but had some front end damage

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet makes me feel a little bit better so is the 302 a 5.0 sorry i know dumb question

I dont think im going to sleep tonight I get it tomorrow :D:D:D

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so is that the average motor most people have in there stangs? sorry im tryin to learn fast

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Thats what all the v8 mustangs had in that era. Everybody does them different as you will see on this site. A lot of guys stick with the 302 in their car for a number of different reasons. They are pretty stout and can take a decent beating in stock form and you can mod them to respectable numbers without digging in to the short block, i.e. crank, pistons rods. Like Iwannagofast said, gears are a great first mod, they really wake these cars up and make them more fun on the street. Congrats on your purchase, and have fun.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks alot man is it easy to change out the gears or should I have some one professionaly do it and how much do the gears run anyone know?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yeah it's the factory engine as far as v8's, some stangs probably have 306, 331, 347 these are 302 based block combinations. I know there is a 351 block also that beleive can be stroked to a 408 I'm not sure on that one but someone will straighten it out for the both of us. My set of 3.55 gears were about $200 shipped

·
Registered
371 Posts
i paid $800 for mine with damage in the front, got used fenders hood and nose for $200, 90k on engine.

gears i would have someone do, and there kind of pricy to have installed

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry this will be a dumb question lol is there any where I can read about strokin (dont be a pervert), and rollers, etc cause im kinda lost on that part

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Yea, you can stroke a 351 to a 408, thats just one size of the many you can do for a 351.

As far as the gear change goes, I would reccommend a pro doing the job, you may want to get a rebuild kit to throw in there while you are at it because the clutches in the rear ends of these cars tend to be worn out by now, unless they've been replaced before. Check out some of our vendors for pricing. I usually go to Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would definitly get a recommended mechanic to do the install of the gears and like fogged306 said go ahead and get the rebuild kit also $50-80

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok what is the rebuild kit and since i just moved here how should I find a recomended one yeah know? If anyone if from Lexingotn KY let me know and how much guestimation will it be anyone? like 200 or more?

·
Registered
437 Posts
ok what is the rebuild kit and since i just moved here how should I find a recomended one yeah know? If anyone if from Lexingotn KY let me know and how much guestimation will it be anyone? like 200 or more?
My install cost around $250 that's here in SC, as far as the kit I know some come with bearings and some don't, but you will have new gasket, clutch pak, shims, friction modifier, etc Just ask around town

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I picked my gears up for around 200 if I remember correct and I'm getting them installed for another 200.. Good thing you reminded me, cause I have to get the rebuild kit myself... and I take that back... Summit doesn't have jack s#@! for rearends on their website.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I bought mine either at summit or latemodelrestoration

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i was kind of wondering about summit I couldnt find anything Im going to check ebay for the 3.73 gears Im so excited thanks to all for helping me and not callin me dumb or anything this is a really great forum

1 - 20 of 39 Posts