Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I'm a newb and I'm tossing around the idea of getting a bike. I like speed bikes and all, but I think I'd prefer a twin V (I think that's the right term?) cruiser, but not a grandpa cruiser will all the bags and weighs too much. A guy I work with has a son who has a 650 V Star (not sure what year, but I'd guess it might be 5 years old?) that is pretty slick looking. His son buys and sells a lot so if he puts it up for sale by next spring I may buy it. But I don't know how likely the chances of that happening are so I'm looking for opinions. I very open to suggestions. I think my budget would be around $3k for a bike, but I don't want a junker that I'd have to work on all the time, so if that's not a reasonable budget I could bump it up a bit. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Some of those bikes can vibrate so bad that it is uncomfortable to do any fun accelerations. Just make sure you ride them first.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
What High Density said. Also, don't catch newbie eye syndrome and dump a lot of money.
Have you ridden one of those? Holy ****. I rode a former coworker's bike like that many years ago and I still remember how bad the vibration was.

·
Manthusiast
2,806 Posts
I suggest grabbing a shadow 650 or 1100. They have that sleek look without bags and are comfortable. I normally ride on sport bikes, but my buddies 1100 made me think of buying a cruiser lol. The parallel twin on a ninja 650 without the rubber mounts make your teeth chatter rofl.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I suggest a CB750. Reliable and fun. A little bit sporty. Harley's are garbage, don't get one. It's all old technology that desperately needs improving. For example, since they are air cooled the rear cylinder gets hot due to the one in front blocking the air flow.

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

Aaaaaand I just realized how old this post is. Ooops, I didn't realize how inactive this part of the forum is.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
I know it's old but I'm going to reply anyway.

I'm a cruiser guy, I had a V-Star 1100 from 2009-2011 that I unfortunately had to sell (wasn't getting ridden and I was getting ready to move to a place with nowhere to store it), I miss that bike a lot. It was fun for a cruiser, the weight on them is low in the frame so they have good balance, but you can only take turns so fast before you're dragging pegs. They're good first bikes though and only weigh around 600 lbs.

Call me a cruiser purist if you will, I like old school, clean-looking cruisers. So that means I like them air cooled, no windshield, no bags, not even a sissy bar (I had one just because my girlfriend liked to ride with me). I liked the 1100's because they were carbed and air cooled so they were simple, and they just looked to me like I think a cruiser should look.

Anyway I'm sure 93bandit already bought a bike by now since this is over a year old :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts