Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys as part of my graduation present I got a 2010 V6 Mustang, torch red coupe, the car is beautiful and I absolutely love it. Even tho it's a V6 I can tell it's faster then 75% of cars on the road.

Now that being said it's a V6 and I am dying for the speed of a GT. My goal in going here is to not be a car newb anymore and learn how to make this thing faster. I would say I have about the knowledge of the average American (ie not much, lol.) This is also the first non-GM car I've ever driven. My father is a Cadillac man and also has a Suburban for work. He has a 96' fleetwood-brougham(RWD FTW.), 89' Deville, 93' Coupe-Deville(last year of Coupe-Devilles btw) 88' Allante, 03' STS, 09' CTS-V, etc I've drove all of them and even learned stick in the cts-v(lol that was something else. I know how to drive well also can drive stick! Unfortunately my parents got me a slush box mustang! but at any rate it's still a free mustang and I can not complain.(obviously.)

What are some ways get a basic knowledge about cars? And how to mod and what makes the car faster?, etc.

any advice is greatly appreciated thanks guys!

·
Banned
636 Posts
Let me save you a lot of time and frustration for now ...... supercharger.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
first step is read alot. Go though this site use the search and just read. Read how to's and write ups on installation just to learn how things go together and how to take them apart.

Second is budget and goals, do you just want a nice crusier that will move when you put your foot down or do you want a v6 that will make that cts-v look slow. once you figure out what you want how much do you have to spend. Let us know this information and we can help you out a lot

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol I don't think I could make my v6 faster then that cts-v 3.9 0-60 whoa.

Any ways heres my goal, be able to easily top a stock v8 mustang. how hard would that be? Wait, let me re-word that how Expensive would that be?

One thing that worries me is how much is my slushbox going to hold me back? I wanted a manual but it wasn't an option.

also wouldn't a supercharger void my warranty? if so that isn't an option right now.(but as soon as that sucker runs out, well you can guess.)

I have read some stuff and the first thing I would like to do would be put in dual exhaust from what I have gathered if I put a good exhust system in that will improve performance, and sound better.

·
Banned
636 Posts

Any ways heres my goal, be able to easily top a stock v8 mustang. how hard would that be? Wait, let me re-word that how Expensive would that be?

One thing that worries me is how much is my slushbox going to hold me back? I wanted a manual but it wasn't an option.

also wouldn't a supercharger void my warranty? if so that isn't an option right now.(but as soon as that sucker runs out, well you can guess.)

I have read some stuff and the first thing I would like to do would be put in dual exhaust from what I have gathered if I put a good exhust system in that will improve performance, and sound better.
Pretty much ANY modification you do to your stang will void the warrenty. If you are worried about the warrenty then there is no way you can beat stock GTs unless they are like older then 83 or something lol.

However if you do install a supercharger and run low boost, and keep all your stock parts and something did break. Just return it to stock and take it to a dealer lol. Dont think they would know or be able to tell. Although I have heard if they look into the ECU they can see some history of driving conditions I believe. Not sure on that one though.

Anyway about $5k will get you a supercharger. One like vortech or procharger.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty much ANY modification you do to your stang will void the warrenty. If you are worried about the warrenty then there is no way you can beat stock GTs unless they are like older then 83 or something lol.

However if you do install a supercharger and run low boost, and keep all your stock parts and something did break. Just return it to stock and take it to a dealer lol. Dont think they would know or be able to tell. Although I have heard if they look into the ECU they can see some history of driving conditions I believe. Not sure on that one though.

Anyway about $5k will get you a supercharger. One like vortech or procharger.
Poop.

I have a 3year/36k warranty, and it would be my ****ing luck that the sec I get some exhausts on my car my tranny would crap out.

Well I forgot to mention, I already did one thing to my car, I put in a K&N Air Filter. It has improved my fuel efficiency and supposedly improved my performance but I'm not totally sure I feel it.

·
Banned
636 Posts
filter is a nice touch...you won't notice any power gains though...as for your car...just enjoy the thing...how old are you?

my friend just traded in his '02 v6 for a '10 v6 and its got way more pep then the new edge so he's happy for now...that '02 had so much done to the motor and the car itself and he loves to mod...but he's not loosing that warrenty :)
Damn lol, no WAY I could go from one v6 to another unless it was the TT ecoboost lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm 19 in college.

I was thinking about taking some automotive classes next semester as well.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
you mod you void pretty simple, sa for beating down the CTS-V it isnt too difficult. head work, cams, and a turbo system you would take him down the 1/4.

first off use that 3 years of warranty to learn about cars, learn the facts not what some company tells you.Listen to guys who do the work, have done the work, or have the work done to their cars. Exhaust is nice for sound and to open everything up for future modifications, and normally this wont void your warranty a full custom exhuast is probably in the 4-500 range and choosing a muffler for the sound you like is a matter of research. Thats probably a good starting point for you

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you mod you void pretty simple, sa for beating down the CTS-V it isnt too difficult. head work, cams, and a turbo system you would take him down the 1/4.

first off use that 3 years of warranty to learn about cars, learn the facts not what some company tells you.Listen to guys who do the work, have done the work, or have the work done to their cars. Exhaust is nice for sound and to open everything up for future modifications, and normally this wont void your warranty a full custom exhuast is probably in the 4-500 range and choosing a muffler for the sound you like is a matter of research. Thats probably a good starting point for you

I get what your saying. Good advice.

Also the sound is simply an added bonus tho,

I'm mainly interested in the preformance gains.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
I would like to add in something about your trans.

I wouldn't dis that "slushbox" It only run's one tenth slower in the 1/4 than the 5 speed and if it's built well enough you can easily outshift a manual.

Maybe I'm biased because I have an auto, but I don't mind it too much.

·
Banned
636 Posts
I would like to add in something about your trans.

I wouldn't dis that "slushbox" It only run's one tenth slower in the 1/4 than the 5 speed and if it's built well enough you can easily outshift a manual.

Maybe I'm biased because I have an auto, but I don't mind it too much.
I dont know about the '10s but I read an article that the autos in the s197s sucked. And a lot of pro drag racers were swaping for 4R70Ws.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts

depends on what year v8 you are talking about. sn95's are easy to top. the s197 v6 is nearly the same as those guys. new edge you would need most bolt ons, but not necessarily F/I. the 3v s197 GT's you'll need basic F/I just to stay with.

if money is not a concern, forged internals that skank, and twin turbo. turbo is better than super. A 10 psi turbo will beat a 10 psi super. Turbo's also dont **** the mpg as supers do

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
I dont know about the '10s but I read an article that the autos in the s197s sucked. And a lot of pro drag racers were swaping for 4R70Ws.
and no, the autos dont suck. they are actually some of the best autos yet. you dont know ****. the drivetrain loss for the s197 auto's is much less than the average auto. especially with a tune, our auto's can rock house. and with retarded manual drivers, mod for mod, car for car, the s197 auto will win

·
Banned
636 Posts
and no, the autos dont suck. they are actually some of the best autos yet. you dont know ****. the drivetrain loss for the s197 auto's is much less than the average auto. especially with a tune, our auto's can rock house. and with retarded manual drivers, mod for mod, car for car, the s197 auto will win
Ok there guy, thanks for attacking me when I said I READ AN ARTICLE THAT MADE THAT CLAIM! Not me you ****ing moron. Learn to read. So you are like the s197 auto transmission king then eh? Cool story brah.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
The 05+ uses a 5R55S trans which is not as strong as the 4R70W. Although it has an extra gear so you'll probably out accelerate a 4R70W but you won't be able to push as much power. Of course I'm talking stock for stock trans.

The 4R70W and 4R75W was originally designed as a light duty truck trans. A lot of E150s and E250s used them.

·
Banned
636 Posts
The 05+ uses a 5R55S trans which is not as strong as the 4R70W. Although it has an extra gear so you'll probably out accelerate a 4R70W but you won't be able to push as much power. Of course I'm talking stock for stock trans.

The 4R70W and 4R75W was originally designed as a light duty truck trans. A lot of E150s and E250s used them.
So then pretty much the article was spot on. Trans for Trans the 4r70w is probably a better drag trans. And the extra gear is only going to help for rolls and top speed, not acceleration.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Basically.

But if you want a great drag trans go with a built c-4. I think they can handle up to 1100 HP if they are fully built.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome to the forum torchred. Enjoy your car. I love mine. Take it easy if you dont have your break in miles yet. My 2010 is WAY faster than my 2000, or 2003 SN-95's.
If you need the warranty dont do too much now.
Take that class. Read and plan. Save your money, so when you have that
plan you can go ahead. As I understand it, almost anything not done at a Ford dealer, using Ford parts, could void your warranty ( see disclaimed w/ FRPP V-6 performance package, & at Customize my mustang[Ford website]). You got time.
May I suggest KENNYBROWN.COM , click tech, KB101

·
Hip Hop Artist
6,524 Posts
v6 pftt... get a v8... :D

jk welcome to the forums! dude i learned everything about stangs on this website right here! when i first joined i didnt even know what CAI meant LOL! but i do now.. and know a bit more also... just make threads, ask questions, take your time and enjoy this place.. even though its a v6 its still alot of fun. my v6 was alot of fun!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts