Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. To start off I have dreamed of having my own mustang since I was a kid. My dad had a fox body and a yellow 96 model. Well this month I took a big step forward on my dream and bought a 1998 mustang. The car is an original v6 with a auto transmission. The end goal is to put a 4.6 in it, 8.8 rear end with either 3.73 or 4.10 gears, and keep the transmission an auto. I bought the car as a roller with a clean title for $350. The trans is wrapped in plastic and in the backseat. There is no motor but thankfully the previous owner tucked all the wires instead of cutting them. I know a v6 to v8 swap is tedious and usually pretty expensive but I am in no rush to do this. I am currently working on cosmetics until I learn more about the engine swap and wiring.
A few questions: A buddy buys and sells police vehicles and he has a 2008 crown vic with interceptor package. its a 4.6 of course and he is willing to sell me the engine and transmission for $400. The combo have less than 80,000 miles on them. My questions is would 1999-2004 mustang headers fit on the 08 engine because I was told they would because they were the same motor. Or would I be better off finding a interceptor motor closer to my 98 year model mustang? (2001 crown vics swapped over to the PI heads.)
I do understand I will have to purchase mustang specific items such as intake and exhaust manifolds, throttle body among other things.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, the 4.6 blocks should all be identical. There may be one or two bolt holes or something that are different but I'm pretty sure all the castings are the same except for when you start comparing iron to aluminum versions. In any case, headers are more of a consideration for the heads rather than the engine block. So assuming you get 2V heads, 2V headers will work.

I haven't tinkered with a Mustang in 3 or 4 years, so someone with more recent knowledge may be able to chime in with different information. Go poke around in the 96-04 section and you should find some answers.

There's a ton of good tech info on this site, but it's not super active anymore so you may have to search for it. Feel free to post questions in that section though, most people on this forum won't give you the "HAVE YOU TRIED THE SEARCH FUNCTION YET?!?!" nonsense that a lot of other car forums do.

Enjoy. You'll learn a lot on that car. It's the perfect balance of old tech and new tech.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
The crown vic actually has less aggressive cams believe it or not though I wouldnt swap to mustang pi cams unless you decide to go aftermarket.

Another thing to consider is that the crown vic doesnt use an ect sensor but cylinder head temp sensors. The intake manifold should have a provision for one of your ect sensors youll have to tap the coolant crossover for the other.

What year transmission is yours out of? All 01+ 4r70w’s use the oss sensor and DO NOT have a vss sensor, which your ecu needs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The crown vic actually has less aggressive cams believe it or not though I wouldnt swap to mustang pi cams unless you decide to go aftermarket.

Another thing to consider is that the crown vic doesnt use an ect sensor but cylinder head temp sensors. The intake manifold should have a provision for one of your ect sensors youll have to tap the coolant crossover for the other.

What year transmission is yours out of? All 01+ 4r70w’s use the oss sensor and DO NOT have a vss sensor, which your ecu needs.
Yeah I definitely have a lot to learn. The transmission and engine would be out of a 2008 crown vic police edition.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts

Yeah I definitely have a lot to learn. The transmission and engine would be out of a 2008 crown vic police edition.
The transmission will not work then unless your car doesnt have a vss sensor. Im assuming they were all phased out in 01 but it could have been done earlier in the mustang.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The transmission will not work then unless your car doesnt have a vss sensor. Im assuming they were all phased out in 01 but it could have been done earlier in the mustang.
Well dang. I was hoping on that 08 interceptor package because engine and transmission was going to cost me $450. I guess I need to keep looking around then.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Well dang. I was hoping on that 08 interceptor package because engine and transmission was going to cost me $450. I guess I need to keep looking around then.
Id still pick it up just dump the trans or you could use a 99-04 ecu but you would have to do some rewiring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts