Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum. I am entering into the world of modified 5.0, and need some help.

I have a modified 1992 Mustang 5.0. It is a 347 stroker, and I am running cast-iron GT 40 heads, a Powerdyne supercharger, a Cobra intake and Ford Motorsport Shorty headers. I run a 5-speed transmission. I've attached a picture.

I need to find an EXPERIENCED and RELIABLE Mustang speed shop to help me with some tuning and timing problems. I live in Northeast Pennsylvania, near Port Jervis New York. There's no one nearby here that I have found yet that can do anything but stare at it and wonder what it is.

Any references would be greatly appreciated.

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
:lmao

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Ohhhh, The way its written it could be understood as a "92 mustang 5.0" as in a car, cause a 347 wouldnt be 5.0.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ohhhh, The way its written it could be understood as a "92 mustang 5.0" as in a car, cause a 347 wouldnt be 5.0.
I wasn't trying to mislead anyone. The block is still a 1992 5.0 block, the only modification made to it was to notch it for the longer rods. You are correct in that it is no longer displaces five liters, but I did not bore it out or anything like that. I built it off a Scat Crank stroker kit. I pieced the engine setup and puffer together over about three years while I was working on my other cars (classic Mustangs, Cougars and Shelbys) . The benefit was I got nearly all the parts for very low cost as they came in cars/parts/swap deals. I did buy a new Cobra intake for it and there were abunch of pieces needed to balance things out int he engine compartment, but overall, I'm into the whole project, car included, for less than $15,000. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

It is a sleeper. The only give-away are the dual exhausts coming out behind. The five-speed gives me a lot of "Throw-around" fun, and the Volvo suspension was modified with bolt-on parts from IPD and Volvo. When was the last time you saw a Volvo spin the tires? It really is cool, and the Police aren't looking for you like they are in a red Mustang.

Now you may understand better why I haven't found anyone local that can deal with it. I know I have to upgrade the timing (it's stock Mustang right now), but really don't know what's best to use. My detailed knowledge of engine tuning sort of stops in 1973. I can hook wires together, but figuring out CPU's is over my head.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
One quick thing based on the pictures..
The line from your passenger side breather tube that runs to the throttle body should be blocked off and as a minimum, a breather put on there in place of the cap. With the way you have it which is stock and works fine for N/A is not ideal with boost. You will be putting boost pressure into the valve covers.

EDIT: Sorry, after looking again, it looks like you have the throttle body end already capped, where does the vac line from the valve cover tube running? If that is going to the suction side of the S/C, that should work and ignore my post ;)

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
LOL the northeast is full of some of the fasting mustangs in the country and there are some of the most knowledgeable shops

I'll name a few for you but most of them are down my way in south jersey

Dwain's shop in lakewood nj
Big Daddy Performance | Outrageous Mustangs - Dyno, Turbos, Superchargers, Custom Chips, Tuning, Exhaust Big Daddy Performance | Outrageous Mustangs - Dyno, Turbos, Superchargers, Custom Chips, Tuning, Exhaust

Mondern Muscle in Tabernacle NJ.. talk to Paul (609) 268 7352

Radical Racing Atco NJ, talk to Craig (856) 753-7117

Turbo People, NY - They are top of the food chain when it comes to knowledge and tuning but they aren't cheap
Turbo People of New York

Cartek Inc. in Garwood 908-317-4496
Cartek Racing

Crazy Horse Racing in South Amboy (732) 553 9050
crazyhorseracing.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reference. Im going to give Crazy Horse in South Amboy a try. I don't know anything about them; has anyone had experience with them before?

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Thanks for the reference. Im going to give Crazy Horse in South Amboy a try. I don't know anything about them; has anyone had experience with them before?
they know there ****, you'll be already as long as you have money. let us know how you make out

·
meh
5,272 Posts
That is AWESOME!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the neatest thing about the Volvo V8 is the handling you can get with very limited mods. All I did was put IPD sway bars on the front and rear, and upgraded the shock absorbers. That was it. No changes to the coil springs or anything. The Mustang engine setup only weighs about 70 pounds more than the stock Volvo arrangement, so the weight distribution is not thrown way off. Volvo, like many European manufacturers, over-engineer their cars to a certain extent. This grocery-getter Volvo wagon came stock from the factory with a limited slip rear end. It has no problem keeping up with the output of the blown engine. This is the same rear-end that Vovlo used for a four-cylinder non-turbo car. I doubt you'd find that on a four-cylinder car from Detroit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts