Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide on cylinder heads for my 69 fastback. I have narrowed it down to AFR or Trick Flows. I purchased a pullout 1990 5.0 and T5 from a low mileage GT. I read an article from Car Craft that took a stock 5.0 bottom end and installed the AFR's with 1.7 RR (stock cam) and made 400hp. Is this BS or is that real? . Anyway I am trying to complete this on a real budget. Bottom end will remain a stock 302. I would like to make 300+ rwhp. Keeping it fuel injected and would love opinions on intake, injectors, maf etc. I have the engine torn down to a short block so changing cam is also an option. All opinions appreciated!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Trick flow top end kit

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Not a chance in the real world. That starting HP number is a little strong, so I'm betting zero accessories and inflated numbers to boot. No one ever that I have seen has gained a 100 horse from those heads, and headers. If that were true, no one would be using the better available stuff out there. TF 170's have better power numbers under the curve than the AFR 185's in apple to apple testing, with the AFR's sometimes posting a couple horse higher peak. And the TF heads are generally going to net you only a 70 horse real world number when done on a mostly stock motor.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Are you planning on using the Mustang wiring harness from a 89-up? (86-88 with MAF conversion)
If so, supporting bolt on's would be headers, long tube if possible. High flow exhaust. 70-75mm TB. 75-80mm MAF that is matched to the size of injectors. 30lb injectors. A cam with mid 500's lift. And realistically, a dyno tune when it's all done. Drop the mechanical fan for an electric, Higher output coil and/or ignition system, and a set of March Power and Amp series under drive pulleys too for good measure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I will keep the MAF. Probably use a painless or ron francis conversion harness. Mid length headers due to lowering the car. 2 1/2 exhaust. What brand MAF? Thanks for the advise!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
pro m

·
Registered
588 Posts
Understanding that they could retard the cam I still find it fishy that they don't mention it in the article and even then the dyno shows the hp still at a super steep climb at 6300 rpm and and no plan on going flat and it doesn't show any fall off. Very generic if you ask me, the very most I would expect with miles of tuning is the 290-300 whp mark but thats still very respectable and would have a broad curve. Would be very streetable to!

If you want my vote its for tfs 170's track-heats with a anderson n41 or custom cam/n21 with 1.7's (yes alot of people do it but they do it cuz it works)

btw mab I got that QFT 650dp on and its a whole new car, spins the tires like crazy in the cold cant wait to fix the t-lok and actually hook at the track.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Not a chance in the real world. That starting HP number is a little strong, so I'm betting zero accessories and inflated numbers to boot. No one ever that I have seen has gained a 100 horse from those heads, and headers. If that were true, no one would be using the better available stuff out there. TF 170's have better power numbers under the curve than the AFR 185's in apple to apple testing, with the AFR's sometimes posting a couple horse higher peak. And the TF heads are generally going to net you only a 70 horse real world number when done on a mostly stock motor.
It's funny that you say that about the AFR 185s....

I am a Trick Flow guy myself. Anytime a friend asks what heads he should use on his 302/306/331/347 I suggest an appropriate sized twisted wedge.

But the shop I'm going to be working for uses AFR's on their fords. They have a 363 with AFR 185's and a hyd. roller (pumpgas too) making 555hp and over 500ft. pounds. That's impressive to me. The curve is nice and linear too. I expected some really nice head on it, but there are little 185s on it :dunno

It shocked me too.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
As for that article, no way they made a legitimate 400hp out of that. A b cam will make more peak power than a stock cam and I have slightly worse heads than those, but I do have a b cam and supporting mods and according to my wheel horsepower, I'm right at 350 at the crank.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
All great info here. I say buy the tfs top end kit and you,re done other than throttle body, 80mm pro m maf and 24 lb injectors.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
It's funny that you say that about the AFR 185s....

I am a Trick Flow guy myself. Anytime a friend asks what heads he should use on his 302/306/331/347 I suggest an appropriate sized twisted wedge.

But the shop I'm going to be working for uses AFR's on their fords. They have a 363 with AFR 185's and a hyd. roller (pumpgas too) making 555hp and over 500ft. pounds. That's impressive to me. The curve is nice and linear too. I expected some really nice head on it, but there are little 185s on it :dunno

It shocked me too.

Sent from my galaxy s II
Don't get me wrong, I picked my TF's for a reason, hahaha. My buddy has a set of AFR 185's on his car. His suffered the dreaded broken springs problem as well. They are nice heads, and I'm not sure if they still have both types of cnc'ing that they do, but his were 'rougher' than mine. And I do remember them coming out with a smoother version, but not sure if they do them both :dunno Anyway, nice head for the money, but they are too sneaky with their bore size when testing them to make them seem better than they are. And that's because of the valve shrouding with large valves with the placement of the them in the stock orientation. If I didn't go TF, I would probably have AFR's. They were the **** in their day, but that day has gone for me...

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I picked my TF's for a reason, hahaha. My buddy has a set of AFR 185's on his car. His suffered the dreaded broken springs problem as well. They are nice heads, and I'm not sure if they still have both types of cnc'ing that they do, but his were 'rougher' than mine. And I do remember them coming out with a smoother version, but not sure if they do them both :dunno Anyway, nice head for the money, but they are too sneaky with their bore size when testing them to make them seem better than they are. And that's because of the valve shrouding with large valves with the placement of the them in the stock orientation. If I didn't go TF, I would probably have AFR's. They were the **** in their day, but that day has gone for me...
Haha yeah, they usually use a big bore. I'm probably going to use AFR's on my next motor, but I'll also have a 4.125 bore so I don't have to worry too much, lol.

For any stock block 302 based motor I'd go with a twisted wedge variant or a high port depending on what the goals are.

They have a shootout down south for the fastest stock block 302 and the fastest one has high ports on 2 kits... C4 tranny and it's a tin can. Probably goes mid 9s.

Sent from my galaxy s II

1 - 20 of 23 Posts