Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I am purchasing a 2013 GT very soon (hopefully within the next 3 months) and with the time that I have until my purchase I want to come up with a game plan on when/where to start modding my mustang. My goal is to get as much hp as I can while keeping the car decent enough for DD. On average I probably drive about 30-40 miles highway and 10-15 miles city a day.

The only problem is I know nothing when it comes to mustangs/coupes/v8s. I have a lot of reading to do. But my main question for this thread is:
if you took all the knowledge you have now and went back to the beginning, what steps would you have taken to get to your goal? if not the same? Would you have done things different? if so, why? I'm just curious and the best way to learn is ask. Thanks!

(Apologies in advance if this thread is not in correct topic area)

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Do suspension work first and then worry about power.

I'm doing my mods in sections. First was suspension, now I'm working on exterior/appearance, after that I'll likely be out of warranty so I'll begin working on the performance portion.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd still start with improving the shifting with at least a bracket and solid knob then I'd still go for planting the power I do have with rear suspension upgrades like an upper and lower control arms. I'm on the Roush upper because it's quiet and UMI LCAs. I'm hopeful next year I can stick this car in the 11s set up like that, on a drag slick. I'm mid-12s as it is, on radials.

I'm also running the Procal tune but, that was mainly for driveability and warranty-retention reasons as it ain't a huge power jump.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think the first mod for EVERY five oh owner should be radar detectors if they don't already own one. ;)

In all seriousness,
I would have done tires first. Or wheels and tires. Then suspension. I had a friend with pretty much stock suspension except for springs and he could take corners better than I did. Of course it goes without saying Drivers mod is always a first.

I agree with jdos with working in sections things. I suggest you always have a goal before you just buying stuff ppl say is good. Think long term and see how that one mod is gonna work in addition to your current set up.

Just curious, which car are you coming from? five ohs are plently fast from stock so....I'm not sure if you'd find it insufficient.

·
Ford Master Tech
703 Posts
If i could do it all over again i would buy 3 different things, o/r x pipe, paxton kit from beefcake and slick and skinnie set up for the track and leave it at that. Would be a fun track and DD without going crazy.

-Thomas

·
'Stang Noob
338 Posts
Do suspension work first and then worry about power.

I'm doing my mods in sections. First was suspension, now I'm working on exterior/appearance, after that I'll likely be out of warranty so I'll begin working on the performance portion.
This is a great way to start. Same direction I'm moving in.

I know with my last car I went first for power adders, then looks, and suspension last. I swore I would start with suspension the next time around because it made the most noticeable difference. And besides the power on this car is pretty pleasing from factory... For now. Lol

·
Want Camels?
1,041 Posts
Congrats in advance.

drive it at least for 3 months. The first mod is the driver! aim your goals and take it from there. You will hear many opinions and confuse yourself, mods don't stop in one place, its a bug lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Each car I've owned I started the mods in different order.
My 01 GTI i went intake>boost controller>Exhaust
My 06 GTI i went coilovers, sway bars, strut brace, then chip, intake.
my 01 GT kept stock.
This '13 GT i plan on exhaust first just for sound then short shifter then most likely big brake kit and some wheels followed by suspension. I don't think i'll do any power adders for a while. Not sure what you drove before but the 5.0 has plenty of power as is in stock form. Coming from a 01 GT it was night and day difference for me.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Heres a different take on a mod list. the first real mod should be the base car itself. You need to know your goals before purchace to but the correct one.

You said it will be a daily driver, but will it see any track time? if so, drag only, road coarse, auto cross, or a mix? Do you need things like leather and better gauges/stereo? Better brakes or Nav? If you don't lay out the perfect base car, then you will never have what you want to achive in the end.

Keep in mind the '13 order banks are closed and production will soon end. So if you are looking for a new '13, look on the lots for the one you want. You can, though, order a '14 if you can wait a bit.

Once you have the car chosen, the first things you should on the first night in your driveway are the oil separater for the passenger side, a good shifter bracket, and new floor mats (as ford does not give yiou rears :screwy:)

Then decide cosmetics (body and wheels/tires), suspenssion, or performance. you can easily spend equal amounts on looks and suspenssion and into the price of another new Mustang for performance if you want. Knowing your goals up front will help to know which way you want to go.

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
I'm all for :) mods first. These cars have a bad tendency for wheel hop on launch. Lower control arms are a must IMO. Ditch these stock tires and wheels too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like has already been mentioned, the '13 GT has plenty of power to start with. I'd begin with driving the car stock for a bit & get a feel for what you think it needs.

While I haven't followed the order directly, tires, suspension, then power. Basically make it turn & stop better before adding more power to the car. I have added the oil separator & they are a good, inexpensive mod for the Coyote engines. I've also done an axleback exhaust, because who doesn't want more of that sound? Right now I'm planning out suspension mods & have a couple of candidates for better tires once I burn off the OEM Pirellis (though these Brembo package tires aren't too bad).

·
Registered
762 Posts
The easiest thing to do will be an intake and tuner package... That will liven the car up a great deal. I personally recommend American Muscle and Bama. They have great prices and great tunes, along with free updates for life.

Are you getting a track pack or brembo car? If so, the tires should be pretty good (when warm). If not, I'd upgrade the wheels and tires bc the stockers won't hook up very well.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Didn't even think about it, I'd definitely recommend you have the oil separator ready to install on the car the day you pick it up. You only need the passenger side as the driver's side tends to stay pretty dry in our cars until you go forced induction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These are some great pointers guys, thank you! as far as goals, it would mostly just be a capable DD but i have to admit i prob will want to take it to the track a few times for fun.
My last car was a 2001 jeep cherokee, so I know how different/more powerful the feel is and i am happy. i test drove one yesterday! Im going back monday to see what i can do.

not to sound like a complete newb, but the first thing I would want to do immediately would be get a nice beefy exhaust in that baby. I fantasize about how my exhaust would sound taking off, at a red light, topping out - I want a muscle car exhaust. impulse? maybe. lol
And the one I test drove yesterday was an automatic. All my cars have been automatic. i know how to drive a stick, I just haven't owned one. Should I make the switch? really worth it? Had a buddy tell me after a while it was fun, but then after the first year it became annoying?

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
I'm all for :) mods first. These cars have a bad tendency for wheel hop on launch. Lower control arms are a must IMO. Ditch these stock tires and wheels too.
Lower your car, then you wont need those control arms! ;) Ask me how I know? :p I could go on and on and on about this but it is true. A simple 1.25" drop in the rear with Steeda Sports and wheel hop = GONE. Zero rear control arms on my car have been changed. :)

Anyway the best way to mod is:
Drive the car
Drive the car
Drive the car
Drive the car
Decide goals for car
Drive the car
Drive the car
Wheels and tires for said goal
Drive the car
Drive the car
Suspension
Drive the car
Drive the car
Drive the car
Power
Drive the car
Drive the car
Drive the damn car already!
Did I mention that you should drive the car?

It doesn't matter what you do in motorsports, the driver is extremely important in how the car behaves. First decide on a goal for the car: I want to drag/autocross/roadcourse/DD/anycomboofthose my car. Then build from the ground up, starting with buying the best tires you can afford and mount them on appropriately sized and as light as possible wheels. Then build the suspension to that goal, then add power. It is the "boring" way to do it since suspension modifications and to an extent tire modifications don't seem to make as large of a difference in daily driving as power but if done correctly the car will be much better at whatever your goal is. These cars come with a good amount of power already and I suspect that much like in autocross and on the roadcourse, that at the drag strip it can be a bear to handle that power correctly which is one more reason to make it last on the list of stuff to do.

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
look at me..... i did everything in a backwards order and i cant hook up for ****....

I got the aluminum DS, shortshifter, and oil separator with about 80 miles on the car
put gt500 axlebacks and res delete at about 150 miles... added a nice sound
then threw on the boss intake and CAI with a bama tune at about 300 miles
wheels were bouncing all around, so i got LCA's.... they helped, but not enough
now im working on the suspension cause my tires never stop spinning.... its fun sometimes, but when you really want them to stick, they wont....
So now i have a storage unit full of new tires that i dont have rims for, and suspension parts that i cant seem to find the time to put on.....

·
Registered
198 Posts
What Whiskey said. ;) Of course I changed my order a tiny bit as I had the goals decided before I even purchased (in my case DD/autox with occasional track days). Wheels/tires and some basic suspension stuff is the top of my list once I settle on exactly the pieces I want--which will come after listed steps 2-4. I can say there is more than enough power stock; in the autocross I was able to do I could break traction anywhere I felt like it.

As I mentioned, I had put an oil separator on the car & did my first DIY oil change. In the 5000 mile it's been on there, it pulled probably about 6-ish ounces of nasty-looking oil out of the PCV stream. Well worth the investment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts