Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys, i just purchased a 1990 f150 for $800, kind of funny same price as i paid for my mustang. engine was replaced with suposidly a 70k mile engine. i do know the guy that did the swap though real good guy.

anyway let me know what you think, runs and drives perfect and all new brakes, 302 engine with brand new exhaust from the manifold back.

my accual question is this, he said it has a 8.8" rear end with either 3.55's or 3.73's in it"does that sound right", he couldnt remember for sure which.

so anyway can i swap it with my mustangs rear end, i understand 2.73's in this truck would suck bad but would be nice to not invest in gears for the stang whenever i deside to do them.

as always thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would just buy new gears and rebuild kit for your mustang.

yes im just wondering though is it even doable, so your saying it isnt worth it or isnt doable, just to clarify

if its not worth the hassle thats fine, i trust you guys fully

·
Registered
58 Posts
I do not think so, if you are talking about swapping the entire housing and all. The truck has a leaf spring suspension not the "4-link" control arm setup the mustang has. Although the gears are interchangeable, I would spend the $ and get a new gear for the stang.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not think so, if you are talking about swapping the entire housing and all. The truck has a leaf spring suspension not the "4-link" control arm setup the mustang has. Although the gears are interchangeable, I would spend the $ and get a new gear for the stang.

oh ok i get it now

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
an 8.8 is an 8.8...yes, its doable, but not worth it to me...then you have to swap two rearends...i would just get new gears for the mustang

·
Registered
423 Posts
the pickups dont have a 8.8 there bigger

i dont remember the exact size but its not the same as the one in a car

·
Registered
58 Posts
an 8.8 is an 8.8...yes, its doable, but not worth it to me...then you have to swap two rearends...i would just get new gears for the mustang
That is true for the gear and center section, but not so for the housing mounting points. Trust me I just went thru a 2 week search for an 8.8 to swap with the 7.5 in my stang. A leafspring housing does not have the mounting points for the control arms of a mustang. You can have them welded on, but then you are going way overboard unless you can do it yourself. Another thing you would have to check is the width of the housing. I know that 94 and up 8.8s are wider, well at least the axles because of the abs (94' is .75in wider).

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
plus the gears in the truck maybe be gettin wore out and have slack in them or something

·
Registered
423 Posts
That is true for the gear and center section, but not so for the housing mounting points. Trust me I just went thru a 2 week search for an 8.8 to swap with the 7.5 in my stang. A leafspring housing does not have the mounting points for the control arms of a mustang. You can have them welded on, but then you are going way overboard unless you can do it yourself. Another thing you would have to check is the width of the housing. I know that 94 and up 8.8s are wider, well at least the axles because of the abs (94' is .75in wider).
you cant take the rear out of the truck because it is to big

its not a 8.8 its like a 10.?

·
Registered
58 Posts
LOL... I only looked at the ones in Explorers, not F150s. That is when I realized that leafspring suspensioned vehicle rearends were different. I was taking him at his word it was an 8.8. I do believe some model trucks did come with the 8.8, but not sure which ones.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so F messing with the rear ends.

and im a happy man now, got my mustang completely releighable and now i have something to keep the miles down on it. and never worry about having it apart for weeks at a time if needed.

any way hats off to you guys and im here for life now, haha, youve helped me fix a few of the really sutpid things on my wrecked but now decent looking mustang

hopefully completed paint, trans, and gears are my only other threads i open in the near future, knock on wood...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your looking into problems from another person you bought. When you buy used cars<Quote> " YOU BUY OTHER PEOPLES CARS. YOU BUY THE PROBLEMS THEY ARE NOT GOING TO TELL YOU ABOUT" you don't know what will happen when you do a full swapp esp with a 800.00 truck Now maybe with another Mustang possibly. Use the truck for personal use. Your going to need it to haul them new and used parts for your stang. Buy parts new so you know nothing will go wrong with it. If it does at least you can take the part off and go back and bitch and get a new one or refund.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok dont worry im getting gears installed eventually. and yes i understand the rear end swap isnt worth it....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your looking into problems from another person you bought. When you buy used cars<Quote> " YOU BUY OTHER PEOPLES CARS. YOU BUY THE PROBLEMS THEY ARE NOT GOING TO TELL YOU ABOUT" you don't know what will happen when you do a full swapp esp with a 800.00 truck Now maybe with another Mustang possibly. Use the truck for personal use. Your going to need it to haul them new and used parts for your stang. Buy parts new so you know nothing will go wrong with it. If it does at least you can take the part off and go back and bitch and get a new one or refund.

yeah you...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts