Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently tinted my vert and I have heard a lot of people talking about replacing the weatherstrip. My understanding is that moleskin is not the best way to go as the adhesive sometimes breaks down in the heat and the glue starts to smear on the window.

Apparently the best option is to replace it with OEM (4R3Z-6321456-A & 4R3Z-6321457-A) With that being said, is this part the same as I have on my car now and is the intention to replace it because it is usually worn out or are they an upgrade? I have looked at mine and it doesn't appear to be worn out. Secondly, are those part numbers for a convertible because the rear quarters will also require replacing. I guess I'm looking for someone that has replaced the weather strips on their vert to get an idea of what I am up against. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
LOL, why didn't you finish the thread over at the S197?

Anyways, I would imagine the weather strips are same for the doors. I've got no idea about the rear side windows as I don't have a convertible. The part numbers I gave you are an upgrade. They have felt attached to them. It's not a matter of them wearing out. The OEM pieces simply don't have any felt on the inside.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, why didn't you finish the thread over at the S197?

Anyways, I would imagine the weather strips are same for the doors. I've got no idea about the rear side windows as I don't have a convertible. The part numbers I gave you are an upgrade. They have felt attached to them. It's not a matter of them wearing out. The OEM pieces simply don't have any felt on the inside.
Ya, I guess I should have finished off the thread over there. Not sure why I posted again.

If there wasn't any felt on the original pieces then mine must have been changed. It definately has some sort of felt or fuzzy stuff. I will see if I can get a picture of it. Wouldn't your glass get scratched as well. IOW's should everyone get new weatherstrips an not just tinted windows?

*runs off to s197 to check in on the thread there :sorry

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have moleskin on my car. I have no problems with mine, and it doesn't look like it is going to smudge the windows. I am here in Texas and we have already had 90+ days. Just when you put in on, don't roll your windows down for 24 hours to make sure it is dry.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
If there wasn't any felt on the original pieces then mine must have been changed. It definately has some sort of felt or fuzzy stuff. I will see if I can get a picture of it. Wouldn't your glass get scratched as well. IOW's should everyone get new weatherstrips an not just tinted windows?
It's got the felt on the outside but not the inside of the window. If you're still thinking it's got felt on the inside edge than follow those instructions over on S197 Forum that someone posted and pull it and see if you're right. The tint is much softer than the glass. So the little pieces of dirt, etc aren't going to damage the window more than likely. Ford obviously realized that they had a problem and revised the design in 2008. Back in 2005-2006 you should of seen the threads talking about this. I swear it was every single Mustang forum, the whole first page of every forum. LOL

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
I have an 06 with tint, and it looks like it's all scratched up now. So, I'm guessing they all will do that eventually.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have an 06 with tint, and it looks like it's all scratched up now. So, I'm guessing they all will do that eventually.
Yeah I bought mine used and the tint was badly scratched. Took it to a tint shop and had them remove the tint and put new tint on. I then put mole skin on and no scratched when rolling down the windows.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Unless you order the 2008 weatherstripping or buy Moleskin. I had the Moleskin fail on my fiance's car after some hot weather so I decided to go OEM.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
How hard is it take off and put on? I did my Jeep but, I was pretty harsh on it. On my Mustang I don't want to risk Effin it up.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Not hard. I can email you the directions of the Moleskin and you can see how it comes apart. Just don't need to mess around with installing the Moleskin, obviously if you buy the OEM pieces. It'll just be a R&R...

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I got my tint, I was talking to the guy on the phone about pricing and all that. I mentioned to him that I would buy moleskin and bring it in for him to install.

He said for me to NOT buy anything, and he would apply a felt strip in the spot that its needed. They did it for free, I watched them install it and it took about 5-10 mins for them to prep the non-felted rubber strip and glue on the felt. It looks like it was made that way, you can't tell its an add-on.

He guaranteed me lifetime of no scratches or he'd replace it free. So go with moleskin but it wouldn't hurt to ask if they install felt strips.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
The OP already got his car tinted so if the shop knew about it they probably would of mentioned it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So my 08 should already have this fixed and be ready to tint? Been wanting to tint the windows but I wanted to make sure I would not have this problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do most dealers stock the replacement weather stripping or am I better off ordering online?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts