Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. After reading the recent post on guessing how much horsepower, I have a question. I have a 2001 GT, Vortech V2, 3.33 pulley, Magnaflow with
pro chamber and no cats, intercooler, 42# injectors, 255LPH Walbro Fuel Pump, 90mm MAF, Vorech Race Valve. Dyno'd at 337 RWHP with 8.4 lbs of boost with a custom tune written to a chip. The car has 73K miles on it so it has plenty of life in it. What would be the best mod going forward to get me around 400 hp? Cams and smaller pulley? Also, does 337 sound correct for what I have above? 100+ hp with adding a SC makes sense to me.

Any input is appreciated.

Wade

·
Registered
982 Posts
Wade,
sounds like your running a very conservative tune. Adding timing with a good tune might get you close to 400. Cams are also great but not real easy or cost effective to swap out in comparison to a new tune.

What is your rev limiter set at? 8psi seems low for the V2 with 3.33 pulley.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Is the car auto? Do you have a power pipe? Which intercooler? Probably loosing around 3psi through the intercooler. To what rpm was the pull on the dyno? I recommend getting a power pipe if you don't have one and a 3.25 pulley. That will get you 11psi. Car should be around 370 then.

If your car is stick then it's a little on the low side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the car auto? Do you have a power pipe? Which intercooler? Probably loosing around 3psi through the intercooler. To what rpm was the pull on the dyno? I recommend getting a power pipe if you don't have one and a 3.25 pulley. That will get you 11psi. Car should be around 370 then.

If your car is stick then it's a little on the low side.
The car is a stick (aftermarket clutch). I bought the car with everything on it other than swapping out the fuel pump and smaller pulley. Not sure of intercooler brand other than it is mounted under the front bumper. Is the power pipe the one that exits out by the wheel well with the air filter attached? If so I have one. See photos. Also, nothing to do with HP, but it has 3.73 gears and is the later build in 2001.

Wade

Attachments

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Yea that's it. You have a nice setup but it needs a new tune. You're down about 30rwhp. My guess is you have a 3" cxracing intercooler. Theyre kind of hit or miss on boost loss. You should be making 12psi Pre intercooler. I'd recommend a 3.125 pulley and a new tune from a reputable tuner. Car should be around 400 with that pulley and a good tune.

My GT made 411 with a V1 S, 3.125 pulley, and Procharger 3 core intercooler. 12.15psi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Blown. If I were to go with a 3.12 pulley, would I need to convert to 8 rib pulley's on everything to eliminate belt slip?
Also, would adding cams allow for a little more horse due to better air flow?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Thanks Blown. If I were to go with a 3.12 pulley, would I need to convert to 8 rib pulley's on everything to eliminate belt slip?
Also, would adding cams allow for a little more horse due to better air flow?
No you don't. What year is your car? If 01-04 then you need a Dayco 107" belt. Believe the part number is 501070 or something close to that. It's tight but works great. If you want to spend the money on cams then go for it. A blower cam usually picks up 60-80rwhp depending on which one you choose. You're looking at $600 for cams. $200 for springs. If you can't do the install yourself $1000 for labor. You can run 450rwhp with cams and boost no problem.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The car doesn't have underdrive pulleys does it? pic looks to be stock but just checking.

V3 through CX 3" core with 3.33 will get close to 10 psi. so you should be close to that I would think with the V2

·
Registered
22 Posts
He said custom tune on a chip which might be what vortech sends with its kit.I was in same situation with my novi 2000 with chip back in 2007 and I had my car dyno tuned went from approx 340 rhp to 403 and my car is auto.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
something isn't right with your car, I would do a compression test, and make sure you're getting spark to all of your cylinders. what plugs are you running? have you checked for boost/vacuum leaks at all? do you have a vacuum/boost gauge? Your car should be somewhere in the range of 360-380whp. get a second opinion on the tune as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car doesn't have underdrive pulleys does it? pic looks to be stock but just checking.

V3 through CX 3" core with 3.33 will get close to 10 psi. so you should be close to that I would think with the V2
He said custom tune on a chip which might be what vortech sends with its kit.I was in same situation with my novi 2000 with chip back in 2007 and I had my car dyno tuned went from approx 340 rhp to 403 and my car is auto.
In the list of mods when I bought it, it had underdrive pulleys listed. How do I check for that? I know that would probably knock down the power a bit.

DEZ Racing in Seekonk, MA tuned the car and made a chip for it. They seem to have a great reputation after looking them up and pretty much are mustang only and build drag cars. It probably had the original tune that came with the Vortech kit.

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

something isn't right with your car, I would do a compression test, and make sure you're getting spark to all of your cylinders. what plugs are you running? have you checked for boost/vacuum leaks at all? do you have a vacuum/boost gauge? Your car should be somewhere in the range of 360-380whp. get a second opinion on the tune as well.
I have had a few reputable people go through the car and plugs were checked. I will pull one tonight to see which ones are in it. Was told they were the correct ones.
I am suspicious of a boost / vacuum leak as I only show a max of 5 on the gauge when I romp on it. How would one test for a leak? I am mechanical, but not to the point
of doing cams. I can do the basics. FYI - the wide band reads correct when under boost, so no worries there. The boost does puzzle me a bit.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Dez is not all that. Go to Performance Dyno if you can. Do you know of any other tuners in your area?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
what kind of gauge is it? but yeah ... vacuum gauges are pretty accurate. you probably have a leak.

check allot your vacuum lines and fittings for holes or tears, use carb and choke cleaner to spray around the intake manifold to see if any gets sucked in through a crack or poor seal.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
337 rwhp at 8.4 psi of boost through a manual is low. Because its low I'm assuming its SAE corrected, not STD. My car made 370 to 383 rwhp at 8.9 psi (different dynos have different results). That's SAE corrected. STD corrected it made 396.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what kind of gauge is it? but yeah ... vacuum gauges are pretty accurate. you probably have a leak.

check allot your vacuum lines and fittings for holes or tears, use carb and choke cleaner to spray around the intake manifold to see if any gets sucked in through a crack or poor seal.
All three gauges are Autometer. Boost, FP and Wideband. The boost gauge however is probably 15 years old or more.

---------- Post added at 06:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

Who tuned it? There is a good tuner in NH. 1996 to 2004 Mustang - Performance Dyno
DEZ is 97 miles away and Performance is 138 miles away. I knew about Performance but chose the closer location. I did mention I would rather be on the
conservative side, but that seems a bit too conservative. I will look for leaks today.... after I tile my wife's bathroom floor of course.

---------- Post added at 06:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

Someone mentioned what plugs. I just pulled one and it is an NGK R - TR6 V Power. I can slide a .037 feeler gauge in the gap.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Leaks are not the problem. Your boost is 8.4 psi. I'm not sure what a non-intercooled Vortech makes but with a 3-4 psi drop across the intercooler That puts the output from the head unit at 11.4-12.4.

P.S. The best intercooler made still has a 2 psi drop. CXRacing 3" is somewhere between 3-4 psi.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Call that other shop mentioned, give them all the details you can and schedule an appointment to retune it.

Those are good plugs to run. I would close gap before your retune to around .032.

My money is on the tune. Sounds like mechanically everything is fine...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the help all. I will make an appointment for a re-tune with the other shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dyno re-tune

Thanks for all of the input with my last Dyno Tune. I paid Pete a visit at Performanace Dyno last weekend and he did an amazing job. The only change I made was drop to a
3.12 pulley from a 3.33 and do a smaller gap on the plugs... per his suggestion. Below is an image of the dyno results. Ended up with 41 more hp from where I started and a little more boost. Keep in mind that I have a draw through set up as that is how it was done when this car was modified by the prior owner. Might switch it to a blow through at some point, but I am happy with the way it runs and will leave it be for the summer... except for the light bar.
Wade

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts