4.6 3v beefed up internals

5.4 3v
or
5.4 4v

I can get the 5.4 3v used for $1250

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
A stroked 3v will probably be the best bang for the buck, but still will cost you quite a bit.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
If there was a budget constraint, I could see why this would be a question. Elsewise 5.4 4v ftw.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
budget is what im goin off of bang for the buck and reliabilty that is why im not lookin at a stroker.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Errr... how much would it cost you to stroke a 3v 5.4? And in the end, how much performance are you talking about?

The 4v 5.4 is an incredible engine... with massive boost. N/A it doesn't really perform with all the extra weight.

I say do a realistic cost comparison. There was someone on here recently talking about the 3v 5.4, there were links to forums threads about the subject. Engine swaps aren't cheap at the end of the day: if you're gonna do one, make damn well certain you get what you want. :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was leaning at the FFV 5.4 v8 seen them for around 1800 and that woud be perfect for a procharger setup seeing as i allready have a 10PSI and 3core im using now. I am looking at a budget boost motor. The tritions i heard had forged internals.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Errr... how much would it cost you to stroke a 3v 5.4? And in the end, how much performance are you talking about?

The 4v 5.4 is an incredible engine... with massive boost. N/A it doesn't really perform with all the extra weight.

I say do a realistic cost comparison. There was someone on here recently talking about the 3v 5.4, there were links to forums threads about the subject. Engine swaps aren't cheap at the end of the day: if you're gonna do one, make damn well certain you get what you want. :)
How can you say that? There have beem 500+rwhp 5.4 4v N/A motors running around. I say 5.4 4v, or 3v. Pro Charger F-1R

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL i wish i had the F1 i have the P1sc so i'd be stayin at 10 psi.
And i wanna support Iowans with E85

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
The tritions i heard had forged internals.
I'd be curious to see where this information is coming from. The Triton engines were found in trucks, where it doesn't make any sense to have forged internals.

I'm not saying they don't, I just saying I can't see *any* reason why Ford would have done so.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
n 2004, Ford introduced a new 3-valve SOHC head, improving horsepower and torque over the older 2-valve SOHC version. This engine also includes Variable Cam Timing, and first appeared in Australian Ford models [1]. The engine is built in Windsor, Ontario at Ford's Essex Engine plant.

It has a cast iron engine block and aluminum cylinder heads. It uses multi-port fuel injection, has roller finger followers, fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods, forged steel crankshaft and the intake manifold is assembled of reinforced plastic.

Output is 300 hp (224 kW) at 5000 RPM with 365 ft·lbf (495 Nm) of torque at 3750 RPM.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
How can you say that? There have beem 500+rwhp 5.4 4v N/A motors running around. I say 5.4 4v, or 3v. Pro Charger F-1R
Easy, what's the added weight of a 4v 5.4 vs. a 3v 4.6?

I say you need F/I on the 5.4 to overcome it's bulk, unless you just want a conversation piece for a daily driver: which, I'll be honest, is not a bad thing at all. Just cost concerns might rule that prohibitive is all I'm saying.

ia07gt: what do you want out of the car for your money?

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I don't know, I see a 5.4 4v, with a seriously built engine, and a single stage kit as nice ass car.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what is the weight differance between the 4v and the 3v heads and what is the weight differance in the 5.4 vs the 4.6??

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
n 2004, Ford introduced a new 3-valve SOHC head, improving horsepower and torque over the older 2-valve SOHC version. This engine also includes Variable Cam Timing, and first appeared in Australian Ford models [1]. The engine is built in Windsor, Ontario at Ford's Essex Engine plant.

It has a cast iron engine block and aluminum cylinder heads. It uses multi-port fuel injection, has roller finger followers, fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods, forged steel crankshaft and the intake manifold is assembled of reinforced plastic.

Output is 300 hp (224 kW) at 5000 RPM with 365 ft·lbf (495 Nm) of torque at 3750 RPM.
Forged crank != Forged internals... just ask us N/A Cobra guys, lol.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I don't know, I see a 5.4 4v, with a seriously built engine, and a single stage kit as nice ass car.
The Gt500 differs from the GT in only the engine, a 5.4 4v and the transmission, a tr-6060, and a few half assed suspension choices. And everyone says the GT500 would be damn perfect if it wasn't so nose heavy in all it's handling. But goshdarnit, throw an uprated supercharger on that beast and you're set for anything your rubber can handle. Taking that supercharger away? And you've got a what? Something like the Camaro or Challenger in execution?

I dunno, just my opinion really. I'm saying the 5.4 is a heavy ass engine, it was never meant for a car in design and that's why Ford's putting it out to pasture instead of moving it downrange.

Hell, if all it cost me was $2k for the engine swap, I'd do it myself. But what are your botl on costs going to be compared to the 4.6? Where would you be with the car if you did all three builds: followed to the conclusion you want?

I'm hardly one who advocates risk-aversion, hell, I love being unique. But I don't have the cash for it and I'm looking at it in terms of benefits-to-cost. That's all. :dunno Just playing devil's advocate. :yes

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Then rule any 4v out of the equation, because I know first hand that they aren't budget friendly.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats the benefit of haveing the procharger system allready, sure there might be different mounting for stuff but your talking apples and oranges im just trying to get a view point from you all. Its nice to have a bipartisan discussion. Not that im doing this all today but I know that my procharger and my heavy right foot is gonnna make this 4.6 go boom and its nice to hear what everyones got to say on things :).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts