Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot about adding a little NOS to boost power in my 2001 stock GT.

But people I talk to say Nitrous is too dangerous and I will end up blowing up my engine, which scares the hell out of me.

How often can you really use it?

How much does it cost - both to buy and install it - and to run it?
What's a good basic set up for my GT?

Is NOS just too dangerous?

Thanks for your ideas,

Jeff

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I dont know that much about Nitrious but you can definately run it safely without blowing up your motor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
all the videos on youtube and streetfire of people blowing up their intakes on nos are usually running crazy shots like 300 or so and they're usually not tuned quite right. Nitrous is as safe as running gasoline (that could blow up your motor too, OMG) if you do it right. If its a stock block, you prolly don't want to run anything more than a 100 shot and make sure you got something adding more fuel and pulling timing out of the engine when you decide to hit the silly juice, but besides that the only way you're gonna blow your block is if you put too many ponies thru it with a big 200+ shot

·
Registered
103 Posts
it's all about when you hit the shot, how big it is, and what your tuned for. Doing a 75 shot on a stock tune is pretty safe. Once you go to 100 or above most mfg.'s reccomend getting a custom tune so you don't detonate your motor. The problem a lot of people have is that your A/F is going to be all screwed up with the bigger shots and not being tuned properly for them. That's when you get by by engine. Also the when is very important as well. You really only want to be spraying above 2500rpms and at WOT. anythig less then those conditions is another percurser to being in the danger zone with the giggle juice.

·
Registered
923 Posts
throw a 75 shot on there and make sure a reputable shop sets it up for you and you will be fine.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Im doing a 125 on a stock motor and plenty have done that safely.. Some have even done 150 shots on stock motors without problems.. I wouldnt worry.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
they are safe if done right.

·
Registered
543 Posts
N2O is only dangerous if you cut corners. Up to a 150 shot can safely be tuned for on a stock 4.6L.

Don't skimp on the safety equipment. If your N2O kit doesn't include these get a RPM window switch so you are only spraying between 2500-5500RPM, a TPS switch so you are only spraying at WOT, bottle warmer to keep N2O pressure at the proper level, and a pressure gauge so you know you have safe pressure. A purge valve is mostly for show, but does ensure there is pure N2O in your line and no residual air.

Get your setup properly tuned, and make sure your tuner disables your traction control on your N2O tune.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
cant believe noone has suggested a wideband as well....very importent if spraying.

also...NOS is a brand..Nitrous is a power adder. :)

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
cant believe noone has suggested a wideband as well....very importent if spraying.
For sure! WO2 is #1. WOT and window switch is also necessary. Many times intakes pop because they hit the juice at too low of rpms to carry the fuel thru the intake.

·
Registered
588 Posts
before my f/i I ran 125 and 150 shot and had no problems. just depends on when you activate and dont over rev! If you do get nitrous get the big bottle and a good window switch....peace

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Just to show you how safe it is, I ran over 80 bottles through a Honda H22 motor, at a 75 shot for more then half of it, then a 125 shot. The only thing that grenaded my motor was the ****ing 6 inch deep puddle of water I drove through on I75. :mad:

If a 4 cyl can handle it, your V8 will.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
+1 to what everybody said above and btw im selling a nitrous kit with everything mentioned above

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
also if your throat starts itching and you start feeling strange get out and check your nitrous bottle lol.. i emptied my whole bottle in my car one time because a connection came loose

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
also if your throat starts itching and you start feeling strange get out and check your nitrous bottle lol.. i emptied my whole bottle in my car one time because a connection came loose
haha, i bet you laughed your ass off too!:eek:

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
yes NOS is very very dangerous!!! no one should ever run it, it will blow motors, its too dangerous, and make you look like a little girl! i would never run NAAAAWWWZZZZZ. :eek:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
But thats vin diesel man...he can do anything.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts