Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to put on a 125 dry shot, and was thinking about the fuel system. i currently have h/c/i with 24 lbs injectors and a 190 fuel pump. will that be alright or should i get a little more?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
you're fine, i had a capri back in the day with h/c/i and 24s and was running mid 11s with only a 190 pump make sure you back the timing off and run a colder plug

·
Registered
299 Posts
Im about to put on a 125 dry shot, and was thinking about the fuel system. i currently have h/c/i with 24 lbs injectors and a 190 fuel pump. will that be alright or should i get a little more?[/quote

You should have gone with a wet system. I think you will need at least bigger injectors. Be safe an put it on a dyno to make sure the A/F ratio is good.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i heard the wet kits on these cause pooling a lot and the best way to go is a plate kit which is too pricey

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i've run both wet and dry, i preferr dry kits because intakes were meant to flow air not air and fuel ( im talking about fuel injection ) and i feel wet kits have the potential to allow fuel to puddle in the intake and that's not good, btw my buddy had a stock bottom end with h/c/i and was spraying a 200 dry shot with 19 pounders ( i wouldn't recommend this) but with 24s and a 125 shot you will be more then ok

·
Registered
417 Posts
yeah I've shot over a 150 compucar dry kit for a while now.....I'm bone stock with a few (300,000) miles on her I'm now using a 75 shot just to take it easy on the motor until I get the other motor done.....Some people shoot it around the airfilter and let it go threw the mass air meter I shoot mine directly twards the t-body....It's up to you but I wouldn't shoot a wet kit unless it was a plate kit that wen't btwn the upper and lower intake.....well good luck

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
yeah I've shot over a 150 compucar dry kit for a while now.....I'm bone stock with a few (300,000) miles on her I'm now using a 75 shot just to take it easy on the motor until I get the other motor done.....Some people shoot it around the airfilter and let it go threw the mass air meter I shoot mine directly twards the t-body....It's up to you but I wouldn't shoot a wet kit unless it was a plate kit that wen't btwn the upper and lower intake.....well good luck

Agree + 1

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Im about to put on a 125 dry shot, and was thinking about the fuel system. i currently have h/c/i with 24 lbs injectors and a 190 fuel pump. will that be alright or should i get a little more?[/quote

You should have gone with a wet system. I think you will need at least bigger injectors. Be safe an put it on a dyno to make sure the A/F ratio is good.
Ahh no he will be fine. and why should he have gone with a wet kit?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
With 24lb/hr injectors, and a 190lph fuel pump, you'll be perfectly safe with 125hp of Nitrous.

In my experience with Nitrous and EFI, its safer to distribute the Nitrous dry, and use the injectors for enrichment. Im not sure how many times we have to cover this... this is why im working on a Nitrous & EFI editorial for quick referance.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
With 24lb/hr injectors, and a 190lph fuel pump, you'll be perfectly safe with 125hp of Nitrous.

In my experience with Nitrous and EFI, its safer to distribute the Nitrous dry, and use the injectors for enrichment. Im not sure how many times we have to cover this... this is why im working on a Nitrous & EFI editorial for quick referance.
Well Like you said how many times do we have to talk about this but to clear what you said up. In the case of 99% of aftermarket Mustang intakes they are designed to flow air only and sometimes are the cause of fuel puddling if a wet kit is used and the mixture is shot through the upper intake. Now they do make the 5.0 plate kits that make it quite a bit safer because the plate is in between the upper & lower intake but puddling can still occur. That is the only reason why dry is better on a EFI Mustang. Now for example if you have an fuel injected intake like I do the CHP EFI Spyder intake it is better to use a wet kit because that manifold can flow fuel too. Those dry kits that spike the fuel pressure are not very accurate and the fuel that is needed is not always what you get.. If you have the correct supporting hardware wet nitrous kits are always better.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Well Like you said how many times do we have to talk about this but to clear what you said up. In the case of 99% of aftermarket Mustang intakes they are designed to flow air only and sometimes are the cause of fuel puddling if a wet kit is used and the mixture is shot through the upper intake. Now they do make the 5.0 plate kits that make it quite a bit safer because the plate is in between the upper & lower intake but puddling can still occur. That is the only reason why dry is better on a EFI Mustang. Now for example if you have an fuel injected intake like I do the CHP EFI Spyder intake it is better to use a wet kit because that manifold can flow fuel too. Those dry kits that spike the fuel pressure are not very accurate and the fuel that is needed is not always what you get.. If you have the correct supporting hardware wet nitrous kits are always better.
For the most part, this is correct. Ive never encountered accuracy issues with any of the dry systems ive used on my EFI mustangs. But, that doesnt mean others have had the same results ive had.. so to each his own. On that same token, people look at Nitrous in different ways. Not everyone is skilled, or knowledgable with Nitrous, and this has a big effect on the result you get when its used. Ive had major success with Dry Nitrous systems and EFI. I wouldnt say its better than a dedicated wet system, but i would argue it provides a better safey margin. This is just common knowledge.

The puddling issue is also widely known. It really depends on the design of the intake, runner length and shape. Some upper intakes will work better than others, but still are only designed to move air, not liquid. With small levels of Nitrous and Fuel, its not so much an issue. I never had any negative results with wet systems and EFI with 100hp, or less. Ive destroyed intakes with 150+hp. Some people have lost intakes with as little as 75hp. Others have gone as far as 175hp.. and even 200hp, and havent had problems. Like i said earlier, people have different ideas, and different levels of knowledge, and that will ultimately affect the results you get. Either way, its safer in my opinion to employ a dry system with EFI, especially if we're only taking about 200hp or less.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Well the only way to actually see the issues with adding fuel with a dry kit is with a wideband and a datalogger. I will be willing to bet the farm that the a\f ratio is spiking all over the place..

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Mine stayed pretty consistant, even at 200hp. The PMS really helped keep the A/F ratio under control.
Yeah well thats why they are great I love mine but i did not know you used a PMS. with the kit. That for sure allows you to keep it under control. I bet without it it does not look nowhere near as stable..

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
stangzilla did you get your wizard of nos working yet?
Yeah but its 10 f#@kin degrees up here with salt and sand on the roads. I wont be driving it for awhile..:mad:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Yeah well thats why they are great I love mine but i did not know you used a PMS. with the kit. That for sure allows you to keep it under control. I bet without it it does not look nowhere near as stable..
Yeah, once i discovered the PMS a few years ago, i tried to stick with it when using Nitrous. Without some type of fuel control, the A/F ratio jumps around quite a bit, even with 75hp. I learned that the hard way the first few times i used Nitrous Oxide. I wont use Nitrous, unless i have control over the ECU.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I'm not sure how you could have fuel puddling with the plate between the upper and lower. Where would the fuel puddle? The runners are angled down into the heads. The holes in the spray bar should be directed down towards the cylinders. Stangzilla, I think you are misinformed here.

Single nozzle wet kits are designed for up to 150 shot of nitrous and fuel. At that level, used correctly, fuel puddling is not an issue. Putting the wrong jets, poor nozzle location direction, spraying at too low of an RPM, or attempting to spray too much for the nozzle will cause puddling, but these are all problems due to user error.

Fuel puddling is not really the cause of nitrous backfires and I would say it is rarely the cause. More likely it is just an overly rich jetting mixed with timing that is retarded to far resulting in a normal backfire, you just have fuel and nitrous in the intake with a wet kit which makes the backfire worse than with a dry kit that only has nitrous in the intake.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts