Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Never go ass to mouth.
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've always been a big nitrous fan. Instant power when you want it, no extra engine wear when you don't. That massive torque hit that makes me get an erection every time.

I've run nitrous for years, on 3 different vehicles. As most of you know, I'm currently building a 351w swapped new edge. This will be a nitrous car as well. Granted, this one will have 600 or so HP on motor, so even without spray, she will be a monster.

In the words of 69fastback.... Nitrous is king, bitches!!!

Yet, nitrous still gets so much hate. So, I decided to shut down some of the arguments made against it.

First off, here are some of the major pros of using nitrous:

(A)Unlike other power adders, there is relatively little added wear. Yes, there is a drastic power increases, but this is only for seconds at a time.
(B)It is easy to install.
(C)It is relatively cheap to start.
(D)Added power on demand.
There are more benefits, but these are the most obvious few.

Now for the arguments people make:

Nitrous is cheating.
How? The name of the game is to cross the line faster. You do that by modifying and adding power. Do you consider boost cheating? If not, shut the **** up. Nitrous was considered cheating back when people hid nitrous systems in their cars to gain an advatage in races where it was not allowed such as stock car racing. In any other race, it is only considered cheating by the people who lose to a nitrous car and get butthurt. In drag racing, you're either a cheater or a loser. Apparently.

Nitrous is for cheap ****s.
Yeah, it's cheap...When you get a basic kit and only spray a little bit. Add in safeties, and forged internals, etc for larger shots...It's not so cheap. You can easily spend $1,500-$2,000 on a safe nitrous set up. Hmmm, seems to be the same price as a used supercharger or turbo setup.

Nitrous will blow your motor.
Nitrous doesn't blow motors. Dumbass drivers blow motors. Spray too much for your engine to handle, boom. Spray at the wrong times causing pooling, boom. Igonre timing and fuel octane when spraying large shots...boom. Ride the rev limiter...boom. Lean out...boom. Etc. Nitrous is 100% safe when used correctly on a healthy motor.

Any half-assed idiot can install and use nitrous. Real racers don't.
See above^ You need to know what you're doing with nitrous.

You couldn't win **** without that baby bottle.
Say that to the guys with built motors who could drag your ass around anyway, and only have spray just in case, because as we all know, there's always someone faster.

These are just some examples, but I think I've made my point and got the ball rolling. Feel free to post your opinions and reasoning.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Badass I am considering nitrous, or as known by some "NOS DUDE"

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's not that I don't like nitrous, it's just that turbo's are better.
Agreed but for the man without enough money nitrous is decent. I'd still rather go Procharger or Turbo.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I have tried telling so many in the past the same when it comes to nitrous, but i have since given up. They dont listen, or simply dont want to hear it, especially if you dont use nitrous yourself. They would tell me that because i dont use it, i have no clue what im talking about and take my slow ass GT home. They were right about one thing, my GT is slow...its stock. More than a few have come back later crying that nitrous blew thier engine. Why? Because all thier friends use it and never had a problem, so it must have been the nitrous that blew the engine, right? So funny.

·
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
8,813 Posts
I dont hate nitrous, for what i want tho a turbo would be my best option. Properly sized to keep out of boost untill higher rpm so i can have fun when i want and still have fuel economy just goin to work. But turbos are expensive. Like i said earlier, id love a small shot on my pony its do much cheaper then boost

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Instant power when you want it, no extra engine wear when you don't. That massive torque hit that makes me get an erection every time.
I could make the exact same argument about a properly built turbo setup as well. The difference here, you don't have to refill the turbo.

It's not that I don't like nitrous, it's just that turbo's are better.
I agree with Karl Marx here.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Fixed that for you
Wrong. Centri's are the bastard children of the power adder world. They have all the parasitic loss of a PD blower with way more lag than a turbo. The only advantage a centri has over nitrous is you don't have to refill the centri. Other than that, nitrous tops centri.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Amateurs don't use nitrous. I've seen the way you drive. You've got a heavy foot.

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
:D

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Boost > nitrous. Especially in a car that does more than just drags race
Agreed. Nitrous works great and it's inexpensive. But I like having power on tap all the time

1 - 20 of 47 Posts