Modded Mustang Forums banner

nitrous switch question

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  asiansensation78 
#1 ·
I'm installing a 90hp shot of nitrous to my car. I launch my car at the track at 5000rpm. My question is, if i dont want to spray off the line (1st gear) is there a switch out there so it only sprays in 2,3rd and 4th? I'm going to run a rpm switch and a WOT switch. thanks

#2 ·
Yup. Called a window switch. Zex and NX both have em. and i'm sure other companies do too. I would go with the company you have.

I'm guessing a RPM switch does exactly what a window switch does...

#3 ·
Ok so how would it know what gear i'm in?

#4 ·
On the window switches you set an RPM for the nitrous solenoid to activate and then a higher rpm for it to shut off. On a unit that has the gear skip mode, you have to get your rpm's higher than your set cut off RPM.

For example I have my nitrous set to spray at 3000 rpm and it shuts off at 6000 rpm. If I want to skip 1st gear I set my ZEX traction control switch to skip 1 gear and I have to exceed 6000 rpm before I shift from 1st to second gear, then it will activate in 2nd gear if my rpm is above 3000 rpm, which it is when I shift.

#5 ·
#8 ·
In order to skip a gear with all of the current available RPM window switches on the market, you have to cross the deactivation RPM threshold in order to gear skip. What happens is that the window switch requires you to cycle through the maximum RPM window threshold X number of times before it outputs the proper nitrous activation signal. X=1 to skip 1st gear, X=2 to skip 1st and 2nd, etc. I've built a controller that uses a position switch so it actually knows what gear the car is in, which seems to be a better system for high RPM launches, roll racing, and road course/open track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.