Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some drag radials for my factory 17x8 wheels. I know some guys run a 275's on these wheels but they just seem a bit narrow for that wide of a dr. Will the 245 hook good enough for me at the track with the below mods?

2000 GT Automatic, 4:10's, SCT Tuner, MAC long tubes, MAC catless mid pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, BBK 70mm throttle body, UPR coil overs w/Lakewood 50/50's and 70/30's.

Let me know what the consensus is.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
you'll be alright with pretty much any tire, but I'd go with the 275 nittos.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Casper, isn't a 275 going to not fit the 8" wide wheel though?

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
you'll be alright with pretty much any tire, but I'd go with the 275 nittos.
+1

I run 315 Nitto 555R's, but as long as you have the right suspension and get your launch down if you take the car to the track, it'll hook up nice. I have been getting consistent 1.68, 1.67 60's with the turbo, and my b/f runs 275 Nitto's on his 800+hp TT Cobra and it hooks up. :)

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
This has been a previous argument on the forum...it works, it's been done many many times (my b/f's 275's are on stock 17x7 rims), it's just not the 'recommended' tire size for the rim. If you take the car around tight corners on a road course or autocrossing, then you might have a problem with the 275's. lol

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I would just go with 275's. i had some on my 96 style wheels which were 8" wide and they didn't hang over much. nitto's are sized small so it's not that bad at all. with a 275 and your mods you'll have no problem hooking on the track or street after a little burnout.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
it will buldge a little & is "technically" not recomended, but there are tons & tons of people running 275/40's on 17x8's.

look around for some pics & you can make a better decision.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
I switched from 555r to nto5r and they do much better. So the nto5r has my vote for a track tire.
Yes, they are no doubt a better tire, but it's a completely different/softer compound. If the OP is looking for something that would also work on the street or DDing, then the 555R's are the way to go...they last at least 2-3 times longer than the NT05R's. :)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
anyone know how long n555r's last. getting some 10th anniversary cobra's (black w/chrome lip) to swap out on race day. contemplateing between n555r's, nt05r's and the mickey thompson's they offer on American Muscle

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
anyone know how long n555r's last. getting some 10th anniversary cobra's (black w/chrome lip) to swap out on race day. contemplateing between n555r's, nt05r's and the mickey thompson's they offer on American Muscle
you'll need the mickey thompsons, skip the nittos

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
This has been a previous argument on the forum...it works, it's been done many many times (my b/f's 275's are on stock 17x7 rims), it's just not the 'recommended' tire size for the rim. If you take the car around tight corners on a road course or autocrossing, then you might have a problem with the 275's. lol
A 275 on a 7" wide wheel is not only a LONG way from "recommended" but well beyond foolish :(

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I just bought 275 NT555Rs for my stock 8" wheels and they fit fine. They hook really really good. I have 0 complaints about them.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
at the track with 4:10s I hooked on 18's with normal 555's

a 245 with a stock stall will more then likely hold you

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, great responses all, thanks so much. I am going to look into the 275s when it comes time to bite the bullet. Anyone know the absolute cheapest place to get some? What would a tire shop like Discount charge to install them in the rear wheels?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discount tire direct sells the 245 NT555Rs and 275 NT555Rs for the same price, $153 each. or they did when I was searching. Cheapest I could find them, and free shipping

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
+1

I run 315 Nitto 555R's, but as long as you have the right suspension and get your launch down if you take the car to the track, it'll hook up nice. I have been getting consistent 1.68, 1.67 60's with the turbo, and my b/f runs 275 Nitto's on his 800+hp TT Cobra and it hooks up. :)
275s with an 800hp car?.... I'm running 370ish rwhp and my 555s in 315 are a ****ing joke in 1st and second.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Discount tire direct sells the 245 NT555Rs and 275 NT555Rs for the same price, $153 each. or they did when I was searching. Cheapest I could find them, and free shipping
I saw them there last night. That is pretty darn cheap in all reality. I think I may need to pick up a couple of them before I hit the track next. After tires will come control arms. After control arms either a stall or Bullit brakes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts