Modded Mustang Forums banner

Nitto 555r 245/45/17 drag radials: Enough traction?

10K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  HickRocket1258 
#1 ·
I want to get some drag radials for my factory 17x8 wheels. I know some guys run a 275's on these wheels but they just seem a bit narrow for that wide of a dr. Will the 245 hook good enough for me at the track with the below mods?

2000 GT Automatic, 4:10's, SCT Tuner, MAC long tubes, MAC catless mid pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, BBK 70mm throttle body, UPR coil overs w/Lakewood 50/50's and 70/30's.

Let me know what the consensus is.

#4 ·
+1

I run 315 Nitto 555R's, but as long as you have the right suspension and get your launch down if you take the car to the track, it'll hook up nice. I have been getting consistent 1.68, 1.67 60's with the turbo, and my b/f runs 275 Nitto's on his 800+hp TT Cobra and it hooks up. :)

#3 ·
Casper, isn't a 275 going to not fit the 8" wide wheel though?

#5 ·
This has been a previous argument on the forum...it works, it's been done many many times (my b/f's 275's are on stock 17x7 rims), it's just not the 'recommended' tire size for the rim. If you take the car around tight corners on a road course or autocrossing, then you might have a problem with the 275's. lol

#6 ·
I would just go with 275's. i had some on my 96 style wheels which were 8" wide and they didn't hang over much. nitto's are sized small so it's not that bad at all. with a 275 and your mods you'll have no problem hooking on the track or street after a little burnout.

#14 ·
I just bought 275 NT555Rs for my stock 8" wheels and they fit fine. They hook really really good. I have 0 complaints about them.

#17 ·
Wow, great responses all, thanks so much. I am going to look into the 275s when it comes time to bite the bullet. Anyone know the absolute cheapest place to get some? What would a tire shop like Discount charge to install them in the rear wheels?

#24 ·
I'm going to catch some heat for this: :tomato

For mounting tires check Walmart. Yeah, I hate 'em too, but they are the cheapest. At the most $10 to mount and balance (each, wheels off the car). Just keep an eye on them while they are doing it. Some will say to never trust your car to walmart, and I wouldn't either but mounting tires is a little different. In my mind, the people who work at walmart are going to be the same people who work at discount tire, uncle Fred's tire and battery, etc... They MIGHT not mount a wider than "recommended" tire on a rim, depending on who you get.

The Walmart by my house does really good work mounting tires- I had a rim that was leaking badly, brought it in and had them pop it off because the whole inner rim was corroded. The guy spent at least a good 30 minutes using a wire brush attachment air tool cleaning it, wiping the wheel and tire down with alcohol, putting lots of sealer on it and mounting it back up and balanced it for me, w/ a new valve stem. $10.

They mounted my roommates old beat up 35's on rims for $5 a pop, including valve stems.

I'd keep an eye on whoever is working on any part of your car if possible.

#18 ·
Discount tire direct sells the 245 NT555Rs and 275 NT555Rs for the same price, $153 each. or they did when I was searching. Cheapest I could find them, and free shipping

#20 ·
I saw them there last night. That is pretty darn cheap in all reality. I think I may need to pick up a couple of them before I hit the track next. After tires will come control arms. After control arms either a stall or Bullit brakes.

#26 ·
^ :no

They do not run small, but rather look a bit "thin" compared with other brands. A 275/40 is not rated to run on an 8" wheel, nor does it fit properly on one.

You pepes can say all day long that they fit "fine" or "nobody has reported problems", but they are not a proper fit and are just looking for a short-cut to purchasing wider wheels.

Jazzer :)

#30 ·
I am still wanting to get a properly fitting tire for my factory wheels. I don't think a 245 is going to bu such an issue for the mods I have currently. Keep it coming boys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.