Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a set of drag radials to mount on a 17X9 wheel. First of all, what's the widest I can put on that wheel. Second, which drag radial is better? I do drive this on the street as well, and I don't want to go 10 mph if it happens to be raining. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
285/xx/17
MT's are much stickier then the Nittos, the Nittos will be better in the rain, also watch out because there have been reports of MTs breaking stock axles even with only stock power because they are so sticky.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
The new Mt thread designs are ok in the rain, but they only have them in certain sizes. Mostly in wider 17 & 18" tires. I have the 315/35/17"s and the hook like nothing I have ever used before.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
you can fit a 315 on there no problem and it will jsut have a little bubble on it. as far as which is better for hooking, the m/t hands down, but the nittos will last 5x longer and will be better on the street where you have to worry about rain and other **** in the road. plus the nittos are cheap too. i say nittos if your doing mostly street driving.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will a 245/45/17 fit? I have (2) 275's on the back, but I want to mount my wheels this weekend and I don't have the DR's yet. So, for the time being, will it look terrible with the 245's on the front?

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
245 on a 9 inch wheel is going to look retarded, you need atleast a 275 on a 9 inch wheel

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
FYI My Mickey's have been on back order for a month. But I've seen them in action and they hook like crazy at the track. Ive heard the Nittos are more the "economical" drag radial, better for daily drivers but dont hook as well as the M/T's.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
My mt's 315's on a 10.5" rim with the new thread pattern are fine in the rain. I have drove on them several times. Once for 200 miles.

I just did a 80 mile round 2 days ago. I'm almost down to the thread wear indicators, and still had no problems.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Will a 245/45/17 fit? I have (2) 275's on the back, but I want to mount my wheels this weekend and I don't have the DR's yet. So, for the time being, will it look terrible with the 245's on the front?
here's mine with 245's up front on a 9" rim.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
thats weird, when i jsut got my 18s, they came with a set of 265 on the front and they jsut looked rediculous. the bead was way behind the lip and i actually scratched one a tony bit because of it

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
thats weird, when i jsut got my 18s, they came with a set of 265 on the front and they jsut looked rediculous. the bead was way behind the lip and i actually scratched one a tony bit because of it
The fronts are sumitomo 245's. They have a real nice bead protector right around the lip of the wheel. I also had 315 sumi's in the rear. They had no lip protector and the thread gaps where huge, but they were the exact model? It's like the got the extra width from opening the thread pattern wider, so not to waste anymore material. I drove on them for about 3k took them off, and sold them.

Her's a couple pics of the 315 sumi's.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the MT's are terrible in the rain.

on a 17X9 stick a 315/35/17 nitto on it. great in rain.
I couldn't even find a Nitto 555r in a 315. Are you sure those won't look rediculous on the 9" wheel?

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
I couldn't even find a Nitto 555r in a 315. Are you sure those won't look rediculous on the 9" wheel?
they just barely buldge, its the most common tire they put on 03/04 cobras on the stock 17X9.

discount tire sells the 315/35/17 for $169 each

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
My friend loaned me a set of 03 cobra wheels with 315 nittos, and I thought it looked a little funny. I took them to the track and I swear my 245's Kumho's I had at the time grabbed better. My Mt 315 calls for a 11" wheel or wider but I think the look fine on the 10.5" He even he did better with 295 mt dr's

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
My friend loaned me a set of 03 cobra wheels with 305 nittos, and I thought it looked a little funny. I took them to the track and I swear my 245's Kumho's I had at the time grabbed better. My Mt 315 calls for a 11" wheel or wider but I think the look fine on the 10.5"
thats strange since they dont make 305's in 17

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
Oops. They still were terrible.
could they have been 18X9's with 305/35/18's on them? if thats the case the 305/18's are a good ammount wider than the 315/17's. i the 315/17's i have mounted on a set of 17X10's, and its actually a little narrower than the rim. they sit just about perfect on 9's.

nitto DR's still suck at the track though.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts