Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering as i normally do about a lot of things haha. What would happen if we didn't have the crossover in our mid pipe it was just two pipes that didn't interconnect?? Would we gain any power out of this...?? Just seems to me that having the H pipe or X pipe creates a lot of unnecessary exhaust turbulence. I just think it would flow A LOT better not having the pipes interconnect makes logical sense i think haha

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Someone's mentioned it here before, not sure who, so call this third hand info, but the system apparently requires some degree of backpressure to operate as best as possible. That was in response to someone who tried their car out with no exhaust system whatsoever.

I guess the trick is in tuning the backpressure for our desired applications. Sound and engine performance are probably not independent variables when tweaking the exhaust system. Plus, look at it from the Ford beancounter perspective... if completely eliminating the x/h-pipe would improve the system, the part would have never been there from a cost and time for engineering design standpoint. :yes

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Read the open header thread to be educated on back pressure and the likes. But what your referring to is call straight pipes...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts