Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if not running any mufflers will hurt do to lack of backpressure. I like the sound and it sounds better than the flows i had on... just wondering.... all the rest of my exhaust is stock.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I unbolted my mufflers a couple times. It sounds like crap below 4000rpm. My car felt a little slower on the low end. Probably gained a couple HP on the top end though

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya i might just put em back on.. i just like it loud but it does sound shitty below 4 grand like u said and pops a lil bit now n then when u rev it. Im looking into getting some long tubes eventually anyways which will be loud and sound nice i hope!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Running no mufflers will not hurt your engine in any way, shape, or form.

If you keep the stock 4-cat h-pipe, it will sound raspy and that's up to your personal preference.

The catalytic converters actually add more restriction than the stock mufflers do.

You will notice a big difference in throttle response, but you will actually lose some torque due to a loss in backpressure.

The sound might annoy people around you, and the police might let you know.

I run SLP LM1s with an O/R Bassani X pipe. When I got the LM1s, I noticed little gain in power but the response was improved some. When I got the O/R pipes prior to a tune, the torque was downright killed. After the tune, my car felt the torque return due to the tune and corrected A/F ratio (mine was actually off)

When I run open headers, I lose a lot of low-end torque, but the engine gets up to rpm faster. It's rather strange how that works, but since there is a lack of restriction, physics is physics.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info SquirrelCV!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts