Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The timing chain guides in my 03 GT went out I call myself saveing some money by replacing them myself. I also replaced the plungers that hold the guides in place. After getting the whole thing back together and starting the engine I still have no oil pressure. However I did not take the oil pan down to check for any small pieces of the timing chain guide that may have fallen into the oil pan. This is from the advice of a trusted friend and mechanic who said that it would be OK. Can anyone diagnose this for me. I really need my pony:(

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Are you sure you didn't disconnect the wire from the sending unit or pull them loose and are you referring to the in dahs gage or a secondary gage installed.

Since you said after replacing the guides you still don't have any oil pressure, did you have oil pressure before taking things apart.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All wire looms and sending units were installed just like they came off. My oil pressure went to hell when the timing chain guides went out.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
so u had the problem before? maybe you need a new oil pump.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Sorry to say this but your bottom end is probably toast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The oil pressure went out the when the guides went out. This led me to believe the cause of the oil pressure loss was the guides going out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do you say this?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would put an external guage on it and just check to make sure that its just not the sensor or wiring. If its ok then I would definately pull the pan down & timing cover and check the pump and make sure there isn't anything in the pan that is getting sucked up in the pickup tube.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would put an external guage on it and just check to make sure that its just not the sensor or wiring. If its ok then I would definately pull the pan down & timing cover and check the pump and make sure there isn't anything in the pan that is getting sucked up in the pickup tube.
So you think there may be a possibility of something in the oil pick up?

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
maybe you just picked up ground up pieces of the guides f-ed up the pump and fried the bottom end. Have you checked the oil just for shits and gigs?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's just not good on any of the parts in engine if there isn't any oil lubricating things. It all depends on how long it went if it did, go with out oil pressure and oil going up to the top of the heads.
I guess one good thing is that the engine still turned over after it was all put back together. When I noticed that there was no oil pressure I turned it of promptly.

·
Registered
998 Posts
could or you may have a bad sensor. you just have to check and make sure. it's not a permanent thing, just for checking and testing.

Only run the car for about 15 seconds. You should get some reading by then but if not then you know you have to take the engine apart and investigate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
maybe you just picked up ground up pieces of the guides f-ed up the pump and fried the bottom end. Have you checked the oil just for shits and gigs?
I checked the oil when i drained it and didnt see any pieces of the guides. I used Royal Purple oil which is what probably saved the motor when the oil pressure went out. The lack of any guide pieces in the oil is what led me to believe that I didnt need to drop the oil pan.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
x2 on the mechanical gauge hook up.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
I guess one good thing is that the engine still turned over after it was all put back together. When I noticed that there was no oil pressure I turned it of promptly.
that means absolutely squat, a bad motor could still run. Whenever an oil pump fails 99% of the time the bottom end is shot.

·
Registered
998 Posts
that means absolutely squat, a bad motor could still run. Whenever an oil pump fails 99% of the time the bottom end is shot.
It all depends on how long the engine was running with the oil supply not being there and how much oil was in the bearing and other parts. It will definately do some damage if there isn't any oil to the bottom end and it will also ruin the heads on these cars if there is not enough getting to the top of the heads. The cam bearings are part of the heads and they can be damaged very easily.

·
Registered
998 Posts
just get a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge from your local auto parts store. Shouldn't be more than $25. There is a bung on the housing for the oil filter that you can remove and put a fitting in. This will allow you to test the car with out unhooking stuff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts