Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 GT that we swapped an AODE for a T5. Everything was replaced with new parts, other than the bellhousing and the pedals. We left the stock auto computer. The trans works great mechanically, but the day I pulled out of the shop that did the work, it had a random "miss". It does it at any RPM, in any gear. The only thing that is not random about it, is that it only does this when engine is at normal operating temp. First thought was a tuning problem. All plugs, wires, cap and rotor were replaced before trans swap, and it ran good. We decided it must be the fuel pump... $120, new pump, same problem. Then I thought, it has to be the O2 sensors... $140, 2 new O2 sensors, same problem. Went back, pulled all wires and plugs to check, all good. Then someone said, temp sensor, $15, new temp sensor...same problem. Ran a code scan, in "engine off" test, it threw codes about the transmission. It threw one memory code saying "O2 sensor right side lean condition". When I tried to run "engine on" test, the scanner just stayed on, light on no flashes, nothing else. Tried a few times, same thing. Finally decided it might be a tuning problem. New chip to reprogram computer to 5 speed... $315 and same problem (and didn't even gain any HP)

Short of either paying the Ford dealer to do a full diagnostic anal exam for who knows how much $$$, or paying $3.15 for a gallon of gas and blowing it up... Anyone else have any ideas (preferebly cheap ones)

Thanks for your help
Jeremiah

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's more than likely the stator inside your dizzy. Go to napa and get a new dizzy for around 100 bucks and I'm sure your problems will go away. These things tend to go bad in our cars. you can go to The Corral - Home and do a search for halls effect sensor, PIP sensor, magnetic pickup, stator(they are all the same just different names)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check the stator in your dizzy like last guy said. Might be the TFI module. It is under the airbox or cold air kit that you might have. Little square box.

However, I had a high rpm miss on my 95 and replaced everything you listed and it still did it. Know what fixed it? A q-tip and some mass air meter cleaner. Oiled/preoiled filters are to wet and when those two little wires get dirty it really screws w/the A/F ratio. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changed out throttle postion sensor, no change.

I checked power to ignition mod and the the halls effect sensor, both good. have not checked stator yet, don't have my LED probe with me. But wouldnt a bad stator be a more constant problem? Again, this miss happens only when engine is at operating temp and is completly random, any RPM, any gear, any speed.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You are still going to have power at the stator(which is also known as halls effect sensor) Here's what usually happens....If you take your dizzy cap off you'll see your rotor. There is a little wheel that the rotor sits on, it's called an armature. Well, below the armature at about 12:00 is your stator. Sometimes the armature gets rusted up and isn't making proper contact with your stator thus causing a miss. Or the teeth on the armature will get chipped and not make proper contact. I doubt yours are chipped. It's either because they are rusted or your stator is loose. If it's loose it's shot, get a new dizzy and be done with it. I doubt it's the TFI, they usually just die and you can't start the car. When I had the miss at any rpm, any gear, any speed it only happened after the car was warm, just like you. It ended up being the stator.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Jkellam,

We must have twin cars, because I just picked one up with the exact same problem. Someone did the swap before I got the car, and it's doing exactly what yours is. Did you ever find the problem????????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts