Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey, got him going pretty good. I'll update with what I found and fixed.
(Now if I can just get him to go back to the 19# injectors.)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after asking him TWICE "Are the wires and plugs new?" and getting a "Yes", I went for the coil (we'd already checked all the connections and other wiring). The old coil had some burn marks at the + terminal, and his spare had a loose + terminal. Made him drop the dimes on a new MSD coil (he's planning a MSD-6 box, anyway).
Installed it - better - but still bad. Ha! Blew out a plug wire!
"You sure these wires are new?" - found out they were "new" from when he'd first swapped blocks, before I made the heat-boots for the wires.
"Okay, get new wires - and make sure the plugs are good - and I'll work on it later."

He got new wires, but not plugs. With the new wire on, better, but still crap. Pulled up in the driveway in the dark, popped the hood - "Hey! I got sparks!"
I found two plugs with cracked topside insulators.

FINALLY - with all the stuff NEW I told him to get in the first place, and keeping the extensions & universal joints in the toolbox and away from the plugs - he's burning rubber, slamming gears, and griping about how much gas it burns!

Well, at least he's finally learned - Check the simple stuff first.

As for all the codes, 31/32, 84 & 85, I came up with a very simple solution. We pulled the sensor off the old EGR, plugged it up, then set the signals by manipulating the sensor's stem to get the right +V and superglued the stem in place. Not pretty, but it worked.
He's ordered the EGR sensor eliminator from RJM Injection Tech

Now, to get him back on 19# injectors and building up the suspension and steering.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
If the computer thinks the EGR is present and working, it will add timing. So be xtra careful when timing the car. You be more prone to some detonation than with the check engine light on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the computer thinks the EGR is present and working, it will add timing. So be xtra careful when timing the car. You be more prone to some detonation than with the check engine light on.
Well, it thinks it's present, but always closed. Been checking the fuel/spark tables closely, and making adjustments from there and from what the engine is actually doing. Would really like to find a scanner setup that could read all the pulse-widths and scope the sparks.
Running 14* base timing right now and keeping an eye (and ear) on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts