Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I've had bama race tune for a while now (mainly got the tuner to correct speedometer when I do gears). Only bolts on I had were CAI and exhaust. Today I found a great deal on the SR 70mm throttle body/plenum combo ($70 brand new). I know bolt ons really don't do much at all, but for the price I got it for its worth it just for the looks. Anyways, I figured I'd take advantage of the free tunes for life so I requested a new tune to take in account whatever small amount of an upgrade this made. However, they replied saying that this part does not require any tuning changes and to just use my old tune. Is this true? Seems kind of shocking that the upgrade really does absolutely NOTHING haha.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,577 Posts
Its not gonna make much difference at all to be honest.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not gonna make much difference at all to be honest.
I figured as much. Main reason I got it is because I've had this whistle ever since I cleaned my throttle body so I'm curious what this will do. Ended up being cheaper than a stock size eBay throttle body. But I thought there could be something they could do to take in account the extra air flow, but I guess not.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,577 Posts
I figured as much. Main reason I got it is because I've had this whistle ever since I cleaned my throttle body so I'm curious what this will do. Ended up being cheaper than a stock size eBay throttle body. But I thought there could be something they could do to take in account the extra air flow, but I guess not.
Just a thought that whistle at idle can sometime mean your IAC valve is going bad. Other symptoms may include an irregular idle or slow idle down time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a thought that whistle at idle can sometime mean your IAC valve is going bad. Other symptoms may include an irregular idle or slow idle down time.
It's not at idle. Only hear it at a certain throttle position when torque is required. Had a whole thread on it a couple weeks ago haha.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The computer will adjust to the extra airflow. The stock computer can adjust itself pretty widely (consider it's the same car/tune that is sold in Colorado as it is in Florida). The difference in said elevation alone is more of a change than the plenum/tb you are installing at the same elevation level. Food for thought.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
The best thing I'd do is call Bama and ask exactly why that is. I know when I did my tune, then retune for longtubes, they asked what TB and plenum I have (BBK 75mm and c&l plenum). Like you I got it super cheap on eBay used from a mustang scrap yard many years ago.

I don't know much about tuning so I can't answer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The best thing I'd do is call Bama and ask exactly why that is. I know when I did my tune, then retune for longtubes, they asked what TB and plenum I have (BBK 75mm and c&l plenum). Like you I got it super cheap on eBay used from a mustang scrap yard many years ago.

Good idea. I'll call or shoot them a message. It does seem strange to specifically ask for the size and then say that doesn't affect the tune. This is the only reason I thought I should ask for an updated tune. Why ask if it is unnecessary information?

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts

Good idea. I'll call or shoot them a message. It does seem strange to specifically ask for the size and then say that doesn't affect the tune. This is the only reason I thought I should ask for an updated tune. Why ask if it is unnecessary information?
My thoughts exactly. Every time I've delt with Bama they have been amazing so I'm sure they'd answer your question with no problem.

Report back I'm curious now

·
Registered
264 Posts
You wouldn't need a retune with only the plenum/tb, the tune that Bama gives you just adjusts the spark at wot, and changes the rev limiter, as well as shift points on automatics.

The maf will read the extra air coming in due to the increased flow, and add fuel accordingly, without needing to be told to do so by the tune.

On 3v motors you would need a retune, because the throttle body is drive-by-wire, and the computer reads the pedal position and tells the throttle body how much to open. The only bolt-ons for our 2v motors that require a tune are injectors/maf and long tubes.

That being said, you may see a little bit of gains at the top end, but it's more of a butt dyno feel than actual hp numbers.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Their forms for the tunes are generic, they ask the same questions of us 2v guys all the way up to the s550s, so some of the questions aren't important to us but it makes it easier than them having 4 different forms for the 4 different motors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts