Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Granny Shifter
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, I purchased a second mustang because my first mustang was approaching the point that it would require a roll bar or roll cage to race at the track. My second car is very similar to my first 1997 GT, Both are white option 248a Cars. With this second car though, anything I do to it makes it better. When I got the car it did not run and we had to pull it out of a field. There is still quite a bit of information I reference on the forums, and I have not participated for quite awhile. Here I will log my journey of making a car go quicker in the 1/8th and 1/4 mile on purpose. While this car may not always be just a drag car, that it where it has started.

Here is the day I picked it up. I was told that it would run on starting fluid. The front bumper and fenders did come with it, they were just laying in the field.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive air manifold

·
Granny Shifter
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I have been working on this car for a couple years now as funds permit, so I will catch this up probably over a few posts. I live in Colorado, so DA at the local racetrack, Bandimere Speedway, tends to be 9,000feet + during the summer. I set a goal to run 13's naturally aspirated with the npi engine that came in the car. Then use nitrous to achieve mid 12's or better. Weight reduction is definitely a priority.

Changed engine oil, swapped plugs to NGK TR55, Changed Transmission fluid, Drained and replaced engine coolant. Removed rear seat, rear panels, trunk liner, Sound deadening and carpet padding, removed AC with ford delete pulley, added Steeda solid shifter bushings. Removed coating in rear wheel wells and painted them white.
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering wheel Steering part

Had the 8.8 that came with the car modified for 9" ends, had the axle tubes welded and quad shock mounts removed. Installed Strange 35 spline spool and axles with stock brake adapters, 3" screw in wheel studs, 4.56 gears and LPW diff cover. Installed with Team Z Relocated Uppers, Double Adjustable lowers, drag springs and Strange 10 way shocks, oreilly reman calipers.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Rim
Hand Arm Leg Wood Electric blue
Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades Vehicle Gas
Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Shipping box Gas

Attachments

·
Granny Shifter
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Borrowed the Weld RTS wheels from my other car, 15x10.33 rears with MT 235 drag radials, 15x6 front with Falken street tires. The car needed a new fuel pump to run, so I installed an Aeromotive 340lph in tank pump. Getting ready to make some shake down passes, I installed hood pins, Trickflow plenum with 75mm throttle body, JLT RAI, Lightning MAF, SCT SF2, Aeromotive Fuel pressure regulator (Base psi set @39psi), Removed the remnants of the cat back, passenger seat left out.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive air manifold Car

·
Granny Shifter
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
On August 5th 2020, I took the car to the track for the first time with a best time of 15.059 @ 89.47mph. With 5 Gallons of Sunoco 260GT in the tank, the car by itself weighed 2820lbs, and with me the raceweight was 3100lbs.
Receipt Font Rectangle Paper Paper product

Attachments

·
Granny Shifter
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Over winter 2020/2021, I moved to the front end. Added LT headers (left them open), MM Solid engine mounts, Team z k member and arms, Afco 90/10 Struts, Hyperco 12" 150# coil over springs, Team Z Caster Camber plates, Team z bump steer, Oreilly reman power steering rack, Stifflers transmission cross member with solid bushings and driveshaft loop, Energy poly trans mount, Drift American Stanless braid front brake lines, Oreilly reman front calipers, March Cobra R PS Pulley, NRG SFI steering wheel quick detach, john smith steering column cover, MPI 14" steering wheel, scott rod fab mirror deletes, corbeau seat.

Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle
White Light Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exhaust
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive mirror
Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle door Motor vehicle

·
Granny Shifter
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went back to Bandimere on May 12 2021. With the changes, saw a best of 14.521 @ 92.69mph. Car weighed 2685lbs by itself, 2995lbs with me. Weight removed from the car was 135lbs, the raceweight was reduced 105lbs, 1/4 mile ET reduced 0.538, MPH increased 3.22mph.

Receipt Automotive tire Font Auto part Fashion accessory

Attachments

·
Granny Shifter
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Decided to take my car to the dyno and see what kind of power it was making on May 24th 2021. PFI was the first place that I dyno'd my other car, so I thought I would revisit the same dyno with this car. The car made a corrected 210hp, or an uncorrected 174hp.

Bolt-on NPI Mustang Dyno

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Truck

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Granny Shifter
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Before I went back to Changed Gas from Sunoco 260 GT to VP MS109, and added the NX 2v plate (Nitrous system still inactive). Went back to Bandimere on June 16 2021, had to pull the hood due to stuck throttle issue with plate install.

Best ET on 235 MT Drag Radial, 14.425 @ 93.49MPH, Raceweight 2995lbs
Bolt-on NPI Mustang on radials at Bandimere

Best ET on 26x8.5 MT Drag Slick on 15x8 Weld Draglites. 14.213 @ 94.59MPH, Raceweight 2940lbs
Bolt on NPI Mustang First Time on Slicks

Font Hood Receipt Automotive tire Cloud
Receipt Font Material property Pattern Number

Attachments

·
Granny Shifter
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Changed front wheels to 15x5 Weld Draglites on Moroso DS-2 26x4.5 bias front runners, installed with Mr. Gasket 7/16" spacers. Got to the track late on October 17 2021, only pass was [email protected] 93.46mph, Raceweight 2920lbs.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Receipt Font Pattern Paper Number

Attachments

·
Granny Shifter
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Goal for the 2022 Season is still to get into the 13's at Bandimere Speedway naturally aspirated with the stock npi longblock, then spray it to the mid 12's or quicker. The hood has been notched for clearance and is reinstalled.

Some changes I am considering:
Install Front fenders and bumper
Install Featherlite Composites deck lid
Borrow Rear end with 3.73-4.10 gear ratio
Install Aluminum Driveshaft

·
Granny Shifter
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Changed the oil from O'Reilly's 5w30 full synthetic with Hotshots FR3 to Hotshots 5w20 Adrenaline Race oil. Installed BBK underdrive water pump pulley and Gates K060997 belt. Finally had to go with a larger belt with the 5" ATI damper, 6.5" power steering pulley, 4" alternator pulley, 6.5" water pump pulley, and ac delete pulley in place. Installed Fenders Header panel, headlights, corner lights, and reinstalled the hood.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts