Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a new set of rims and tires off Craiglist and installed the new rims my self, after installing it i started getting some sort of noise form the wheels. I Can hear the tires rotating basically, and when i am going say on idle at like 10 mph i can feel the car getting held back a little, When i go like 60-70MPH the car shakes, i know its from the rear wheels because the steering wheel doesnt shake only the back side of the car.

I really have no idea what it could be...Broken bearing, New rotors? Could it also be a bent rim? If anyone can help itd be great thanks :yes

Edit: Also when i bought the rims, the owner said the tires were used for less than 3 months

If i could describe the noise itd be a humming type that gets worse when the car goes downhill on idle and i can hear it a lot

·
Registered
66 Posts
Could be the bearings but not sure why it would be acting up after you changed rims.

The shaking could be due to the tires not being balanced?

Can you locate the specific wheel that is making the noise or is it all of them?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not show how i can locate which tire it is, but i am also not sure if the tires were blanaced, i am assuming that if theyre on the rims they must have been balanced?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Typically if it's a single wheel making the noise you can tell just by driving in the car (or at least narrow it down to the front or rear). Have someone walk beside the car as you drive it an see if they can tell where it's coming from.

As for the balancing I don't trust what anyone says that I'm buying stuff from (especially CL). Not that they're blatantly lying just not very smart sometimes :)

Try and figure out if it's all the wheels making the noise or just 1 or two specific tires. Will be easier to figure out what's happening.

Btw, what kind of tires did you get? Size specifically

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a good deal i got, $300 for Mustang GT4 Rims and 4 Brand new Michelin pilot sport tires in the rear BFG in the front, the rears are 285/35/18 and the fronts are 255/45/18.

And i will try and figure out which tire its comming from

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Typically if it's a single wheel making the noise you can tell just by driving in the car (or at least narrow it down to the front or rear). Have someone walk beside the car as you drive it an see if they can tell where it's coming from.

As for the balancing I don't trust what anyone says that I'm buying stuff from (especially CL). Not that they're blatantly lying just not very smart sometimes :)

Try and figure out if it's all the wheels making the noise or just 1 or two specific tires. Will be easier to figure out what's happening.

Btw, what kind of tires did you get? Size specifically
Could it be by any chance that i need to get the car alligned again?

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
Did you tighten your lugnuts all the way down. And cross tightened too?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you tighten your lugnuts all the way down. And cross tightened too?
I tightned it my self when i put on the rims, went to the mechanic next day and got him to use the tightener on all 4 rims not sure if he cross bolted it o_O

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
You should also check your brakes too, make sure there isn't any warping in the disc. Check your tires for wear, if one side is worn down more than the other. Re-check your lugnuts for tightness. That's pretty much all you can do.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did you take the clips off that hold the rotors. Ford wheels have a big hole in the back of the rim that goes over the clips. After market wheels don't have the relief so you have to take the clips off.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Did you take the clips off that hold the rotors. Ford wheels have a big hole in the back of the rim that goes over the clips. After market wheels don't have the relief so you have to take the clips off.
Theres no clips holding the rotors on. When I replaced mine, they are held in place by the caliper and the wheel bein bolted down. Not sure what your talking about.

When I replaced my rims I did not remove any clips.

However I may have just not seen them.

OP - I would take the car to a shop and get a front end alignment, and all the wheels balanced. See if that changes things. If theres a bend in the rim, the shop should notice when balancing it. Mention to them to keep an eye out for a bend.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ZAT
If you have no clips then someone took them off. I would say pull a wheel off and make sure,
also look at the back of your FORD wheel you will see a large cut out, that is to go over the clip,

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I tightned it my self when i put on the rims, went to the mechanic next day and got him to use the tightener on all 4 rims not sure if he cross bolted it o_O
You mean a ratchet??

Anyway, just cuz the tires were balanced doesnt mean they still are. A weight could fall off or the tire could wear a need to be re-balance. If you can hear it at idlein down the road tryin jacking the car up and spinning the tires.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
ZAT
If you have no clips then someone took them off. I would say pull a wheel off and make sure,
also look at the back of your FORD wheel you will see a large cut out, that is to go over the clip,
Ohhh, ya. I have that clip. I acually removed them when I changed my rotors. They seemed to help hold them, but it did not seem like a nesecary part.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Z
There not necessary, if you put your wheel on straight and tighten the lugs evenly. They are there to keep the rotor in place while you just throw the wheel on and tighten the lugs.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Yep... I had to break mine off to remove them so I just said forget it Lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts