Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
00 gt with a windsor motor that has a bad rod bearing. Its winter time now, so i figure Ill start a build.. I am leaning toward going with the MMR forged rotating assy. I am gonna run N/A until I save more money and get a blower. My question is, "IS IT TRUE THAT FORGED INTERNALS FOR A MILD STREET/STRIP DAILY DRIVER WILL BE NOISY AT TIMES?" I read where someone says, its noisy when cold, etc. Thanx in advance!!!!

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
Im no expert but I think they expand more than stock internals when hot, which gives them a slight looseness when cold.. This is just something I heard, no clue on accuracy.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
00 gt with a windsor motor that has a bad rod bearing. Its winter time now, so i figure Ill start a build.. I am leaning toward going with the MMR forged rotating assy. I am gonna run N/A until I save more money and get a blower. My question is, "IS IT TRUE THAT FORGED INTERNALS FOR A MILD STREET/STRIP DAILY DRIVER WILL BE NOISY AT TIMES?" I read where someone says, its noisy when cold, etc. Thanx in advance!!!!
No. You're fine. They don't make noise.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
BTM AutoSport
2,710 Posts
they are a bit more noisy on start up until the engine is warm but nothing like OMG! it's gonna explode type of noise

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Speed Junky
56 Posts
I just did mine and have no issues with it making noise... I did need to upgrade the exhaust to allow the engine to breath better since the 2.25 exhaust was to restrictive for my upgrades... So this is something you might want to address if you haven't already installed a 2.5 catback...

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
It's probably something you would never notice, unless your really trying to listen for it.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I have the MMR 2500 series pistons on Manly H beam rods and it is a bit clattery unless its hot, and i mean hot, not warm. But im a bit anal and do driveability diagnosis for a living so im always paranoid about noise.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
MMR Stroker here, but my car is so Damn loud I cant hear anything other then blower, Cams, and Borla.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
It's going to depend on your tolerances more than anything else. If you're running a relatively loose PTW spec, forged or cast, you'll get piston slap until the pistons heat up significantly and expand. If you're running a tight spec, you won't hear it.

I've got the 03 Cobra forged Zollner pistons in mine, which are known for being a tight PTW spec. I don't hear any piston slap on startup. Of course like I said, they're known for the tighter clearance, which has sometimes become detrimental at very high temperatures and power levels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts