Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked my car up after a complete rebuild every thing is brand new in the car including the t3650 trans. with the ford shift improvement kit in it (up graded from t 45) the car runs amazing, but whenever the clutch pedal is not depressed, the t/o bearing rattles its but off, i am by no means an expert on this crap, but is this a serious problem that i need to notify my engine builder about or just a simple aggervation i need to stop complaining about, the car is a 2000 gt, and mods include forged stroker short block with 11 to 1 compression, patriot stage 2 heads, crower stage 2 cam mezier electric water pump accufab tb and plenum fidanza f/w centerforce dual friction clutch and t/o bearing the above mentioned trans. kooks l/t headers bassani exhaust and frpp 373 gears, and i think that about does it, any advice would be great

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Mine is like that too..but i havent had any work done to the tranny and i would be pretty pissed if i dumped some money into a rebuild and had a noisy t/o bearing, esp if it ticks lik mine its so embarssing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
the to bearing shouldn't make any noise, especially after putting in a new trans - and new to bearing i'm guessing??

if you can deal with the noise you can drive around with it chirping/squealing for a while. but eventually you need to pull the trans and put in a new one. don't wait too long or you may end up breaking the to bearing retainer.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
i just had mine done with the whole clutch kit. it did make a horrible sound. real scratchy. almost like a rattling heat shield or something. couldnt put up with that at all!

·
Registered
193 Posts
a heavy duty throwout bearing is around 35 bucks. a throw out bearing retainer (shaft the throw out bearing rides on) is 40ish ?? dollars.

the install on a retainer in a t45 or tremec is more of a pain than on a t5 b/c you have to pull the bellhousing on the t45/tremec to install it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well, my clutch just went out... but Im hoping its just a bad clutch and all... I dont want to have ta buy a new to bearing sleeve or w/e your talkin bout..

When press in the clutch it makes a LOUD, very LOUD squeaky/ metall on metal scraping sound, and its very loud. I figured the t.o bearing is bad, along with the clutch because theres not as much pedal pressure anymore....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well, my clutch just went out... but Im hoping its just a bad clutch and all... I dont want to have ta buy a new to bearing sleeve or w/e your talkin bout..

When press in the clutch it makes a LOUD, very LOUD squeaky/ metall on metal scraping sound, and its very loud. I figured the t.o bearing is bad, along with the clutch because theres not as much pedal pressure anymore....
I drove around with my to bearing chirping/squealing for a long time. Finally one day it started making anoise and felt similar to what you described. I'd get it checked out asap.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I know.. the car is sitting in the driveway right now... I think the t.o bearing is gone... but ya.. Im getting a new clutch kit put in this week...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
the TO bearing is not hard to chang, just labor intinsive, all that u have to do is to pull the tranny and slide the clutch fork off and the TO bearing comes off and u slide a new one on and then lube up the surface of the TO bearing where it presses against the pressure plate and lube the clutch fork where it sits on the ball, and then lube the input shaft of the tranny where it slides into the pilot bearing at the back of the crankshaft. with all that said it can be a bitch, esspesialy getting the 2 top bellhousing to block bolts to break loose, it is acctually one of the biggest PITA's i have ever delt with on this car, but after u get the 5 bolts broken loose, and the tranny cross member off, u can just slide the tranny back and chang it out. when i did it i didnt take the drive shaft off, but some people do. just make sur you have the tranny supported. an if u had the tranny rebuilt, i would be at that dudes door every day until he fixed it, because it wount reall hurt any thing unless u let it get really bad, but it can be a big pain in the butt to do in a driveway

1 - 11 of 11 Posts