Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting a polisher like the Griots Garage of PC but just can't justify it because my car is kept outside and driven almost daily. Are there any of you that are in the same situation and still do full details on your car and feel it's worth it? I feel like it'd be a waste of time and money to really do the works on it only to have the paint back to the way it is now after a shot time period. Basically I want some reasons to justify getting one and why even with being kept outside and DD'd, that it is a good investment.:D

·
9k All Day.
3,449 Posts
yeahhhhup!
i do FULL details on my baby, and she doesnt live in or anywhere near a garage.

as long as you wash her, and ENJOY <<<< key part, doing it, then the dirtyier THE BETTER!

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
I would say it is a great investment. Even on a daily driven non garaged vehicle you can have a nice finish. If you maintain the paint with regular proper technique washings using good tools, you will be fine.

Nice All In One products like Pinnacle XMT360 will help mildly correct the paint, cleanse it, and seal it from damage.

It really all depends on if you are gonna take the time to maintain it properly. If you are willing to make the investment, both financially and from a time aspect, then I say it is very well worth it. If you are just going to correct the paint, and then not maintain it, don't waste your money.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take the time to maintain what I have now. Wash and dry almost weekly taking the time to do it right, and about once a month spent on the interior after a wash. I just kept telling myself it was too much money to spend on something that really can't make it look THAT much better than it is now especially when it's daily driven.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It sounds like you are looking for an excuse to let you car go to ****. I have a black 99 gt in Florida. It has never been garaged and I get complements daily. You can never go wrong spending the money or time to preserve what you have.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I take the time to maintain what I have now. Wash and dry almost weekly taking the time to do it right, and about once a month spent on the interior after a wash. I just kept telling myself it was too much money to spend on something that really can't make it look THAT much better than it is now especially when it's daily driven.
Have you ever seen the difference, side by side, of a non corrected car and a corrected one? Or how about some 50/50 shots of corrected panels? My car was a DD when I started.

It is VERY worth it and it will make a BIG difference on the car's look. Plus it will make your paint last longer.

However, just investing in a polisher will not be enough. You need to also invest in polishes to correct with the polsiher, plus numerous other products. Also need waxes and such to maintain that corrected finish.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like you are looking for an excuse to let you car go to ****. I have a black 99 gt in Florida. It has never been garaged and I get complements daily. You can never go wrong spending the money or time to preserve what you have.
What? Did you read my thread? I'm looking for an excuse to get a polisher. That makes absolutely zero sense that this thread is about me wanting my car to go to ****. My car is in about as good of condition as it can get without correcting the paint ever since I bought it over a year ago. Read before posting.;)

Have you ever seen the difference, side by side, of a non corrected car and a corrected one? Or how about some 50/50 shots of corrected panels? My car was a DD when I started.

It is VERY worth it and it will make a BIG difference on the car's look. Plus it will make your paint last longer.

However, just investing in a polisher will not be enough. You need to also invest in polishes to correct with the polsiher, plus numerous other products. Also need waxes and such to maintain that corrected finish.
I've never seen it in person only those pictures online, and even then I don't recall ever seeing what DSG looked like and I feel like it can't look much better than it does now. But I know it involves a lot more than a polisher all that stuff would follow.

Basically I'm trying to decide between buying tires for my black Saleens I have sitting in my room, or getting myself set up to correct my paint. The tires on my stock Machs still have quite a bit of life left, so I'm leaning towards paint correction stuff. I'm just dying to get them on.

So if I do end up going with a polisher, which would be better? The PC or Griots Garage or something else?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I did a full correction on my car after I bought it and do a full detail about once a month (polish, glaze/seal, wax)...wash the car 2 - 3 times a week, but Im kinda anal about keeping my black beauty shiny and may get a little carried away sometimes. My car is not garaged, parked in a gravel lot every day while Im at work, and takes 3 hour trips back and forth from Atlanta to Augusta about 2 times a month...

Believe me, it is well worth it to do a correction and fully detail on a regular basis. Once its corrected, jus be sure to use the proper methods for cleaning on a regular basis and enjoy your BEAUTIFUL dd!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a full correction on my car after I bought it and do a full detail about once a month (polish, glaze/seal, wax)...wash the car 2 - 3 times a week, but Im kinda anal about keeping my black beauty shiny and may get a little carried away sometimes. My car is not garaged, parked in a gravel lot every day while Im at work, and takes 3 hour trips back and forth from Atlanta to Augusta about 2 times a month...

Believe me, it is well worth it to do a correction and fully detail on a regular basis. Once its corrected, jus be sure to use the proper methods for cleaning on a regular basis and enjoy your BEAUTIFUL dd!
If I had a black car and those kind of conditions I'd probably be as anal as you too. haha

But after washing my car it holds it's clean for a solid week so that's why I only do it weekly. And I thought you should only wax about 3 times a year and same goes for polishing? Doesn't it wear down your clear or something like that doing it that often? I think I'm going to get one, now it's just a question of which one.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Not DSG, but MG is close...

This was my MG after a correction:

Ive got some better pics, but cant find em at the moment

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
If I had a black car and those kind of conditions I'd probably be as anal as you too. haha

But after washing my car it holds it's clean for a solid week so that's why I only do it weekly. And I thought you should only wax about 3 times a year and same goes for polishing? Doesn't it wear down your clear or something like that doing it that often? I think I'm going to get one, now it's just a question of which one.
It may wear down the clear a little, but I plan on re-painting my car during the winter, so I dont really care. I like playing with different polish/glaze/wax combos in the mean time.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Holiday!!! I have family that live there.

I am sure you can make it look a LOT better. If you could post some nice close up full sun shots of the cars we could see what you are working with

Not DSG, but MG is close...

This was my MG after a correction:

Ive got some better pics, but cant find em at the moment
That detailer is the BOMB!!!!!

Eventually your clear will be worn down. However, a once a year polishing with a twice a year all in one product like Klasse, XMT360, or Opti-seal the amount will not even be measurable with a paint thickness meter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am sure you can make it look a LOT better. If you could post some nice close up full sun shots of the cars we could see what you are working with

Eventually your clear will be worn down. However, a once a year polishing with a twice a year all in one product like Klasse, XMT360, or Opti-seal the amount will not even be measurable with a paint thickness meter.
Yeah I know it could definitely look better I don't mean to sound like it doesn't need to be corrected it definitely does. But after a wash it looks really good and even from a foot or 2 away it looks good, but then when you start eyeballin it in the sun those hideous swirls come out. I think I am going to, I've been wanting one for a while just talking myself out of it so I could buy other things like the bolt-ons, built rear, and gears I have now along with some other things like my wheels. But now it's getting to where I just really would like to have one and keep seeing how the cars are after being corrected. I just wanted to see how many others DD and don't garage their cars and still spend that kind of money and time into it to make sure it wasn't going to be something I regret getting.

I've searched but I keep getting mixed feelings about which polisher. Some say the PC7424 but then some say the Griots Garage is better then the Meguiar's.

·
9k All Day.
3,449 Posts
Griots with a 5.5 BP = :rockon ;)

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Doesn't it wear down your clear or something like that doing it that often? I think I'm going to get one, now it's just a question of which one.
When you polish the paint you are removing an amount of clearcoat. The amount is so small it's really insignificant. It would take a LOT of polishing over many years to do any sort of damage to the clear.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
On top of this kit, anything else you would recommend?
Yes proper lighting at least 1000watt halogen tripod. Quality Microfibers and detergent. Masking tape. And a change in your washing technique.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I had my Stang professionally corrected when I bought it and recently bought a PC after reading all the detailing threads here. So far I've used it more on my daily driven Mazda 6 and have had great results. Like others have said, keep up with it and it will stay nice. When washing use grit guards and good microfibers, etc.

·
Cum On Me Bro
8,106 Posts
It's completely possible to keep your car looking great without a garage. My car had to have been corrected before I bought it, and it's been sitting outside for over a year now. Proper washing techniques and keeping it well waxed are keys to maintaining that finish without the need for polishing.

Sure mine is starting to build up some swirls and will need correction soon, but if you're only needing correction once a year or so, it might just be in your interest to pay someone to correct it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts