Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy fellas,

I'm not familiar with these mustangs, my only Ford experience being an old fox body and a 1981 Ford Fiesta (my first car, lol). In the last couple years I was pretty heavy into the L32 supercharged buicks and pontiacs though.

Anywho, the project car bug has bitten again and I stumbled across this on craigslist. I haven't talked to the guy, but wondered if you had any thoughts on whether it was worth taking a chance on this car. I have a decent garage setup where I could work on it and there's no rush to get it running.

supercharged 01 mustang

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
With a broke auto, I am not sure if it's worth it or not. It's up to you as to how much money you want to invest into it to get it back to running/driving shape. It sounds enticing for sure. Didn't know saleen blowers were intercooled, but that would be easy enough to check out.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
If it passes all the usual checks, I'd go for it.
If anything the auto is probably a bad rear seal, or the one part that slings the fluid forward. Nothing too big if you're mechanically inclined and willing to do yourself.

Personally I'd just drop it and throw in a manual, but that's just me.

Also yes, the Saleen SC-281's were liquid to air intercooled Eaton M90's, similar to the 03/04 Cobras. Ironically the M90 was the same used in the Grand Prix GTP's.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I'd go for it. Worst case is you have to replace the tranny and you can find them readily available on Criagslist. +1 on the intercoolers for the saleen blowers. It should be a series II blower. The easiest way to tell is to look at how the pulley attaches. If it has one bolt holding it on through the center it is a serties II, If it has 4 small bolts holding it on it is a series IV. The series IV is better than the series II but the series II can still put out a butt load of boost. I had one I bought and sold without using. The guy that bought it got 14lbs out of it with a smaller pulley.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas. Emailed the guy yesterday and haven't heard back yet. Did some forum stalking and found some posts where he had some other issues, so I definitely want to go take a look before I do anything else.

In the meantime, I'll do some more searching for an old foxbody :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts