Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says, not a crisp smooth shift is the issue. the cars got almost 60k on it and im sure the original owner never changed the tranny fluid. kinda hard to discribe the feeling, but sometimes its hard to get into first, not bad but not perfect. and it doesnt just slide into any other gear ether. doesnt grind or anything. i have read the tsb about the new fluid level not being as high as the factory sent it out. i dont remember the type of fluid or exact amount. would sum full syn royal purple do the trick? or does it sound like some other problem.

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
mine was having sort of the same trouble not as bad so I threw in a Steeda Tri-ax short throw and it feels like it is brand new again! But i'm sure a little syn gear oil wouldn't hurt a thing...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My car is getting that feeling as well... im putting in some Royal Purple Synchromax in on Saturday. I'll let you know how it performs afterwards.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
06 gt's huh? or is it just coinsidence that all of you have the same year?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a hard time getting mine to go into first but only if I am going more the about 10-20 mph. At a stop it goes in like butter. I just changed my trans fluid on Saturday and it was pretty black with a very very dark red tinge to it. The car only has 34K miles on it and I just put in the Motorcraft Mercon V ATF that it calls for.

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
Second gear is very hard to get in to on my car with 14k miles... Feels like pulling it through gravel or something. That's when driving normally though. When I get on it, it shifts beautifully.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
My trans is a total piece of ****. Grinding through the lower gears on accel, synchro whines that actually made me look around for cop cars downshifting to second or third. I'm taking mine in for warranty next week. I'm almost at 60k too. If you can, try to get the dealership to cover it under warranty.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
My car has 64+K and no problems I really have no idea what you guys are talking about. Why would you want to downshift to 1st when you're going 20mph anyways? Either way... My trans has a lot of abuse on her and I don't feel a difference.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
When are you suppose to change the tranny fluid? Im at 60k and haven't changed mine yet.
From what ive heard its ever 4 years or 60K miles.

I dont know when mine was changed so im doing it along with engine and differential oil.

I never shift down into first unless im maybe rolling at 5mph. It tells you in the manual not to downshift into first over 15mph I think.

Into 2nd and 3rd it can grind sometimes at higher RPM. Clutch fully depressed and I can return to neutral and try again with the same result. Some transmisisons are better than others it depends on the driver and area you drive at.

If the RP synchromax doesnt fix the issue im taking it into carmax for my warranty :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i might add that it does shift nice a smooth with ur really givin it hell. its just the driving calmly around town that does it. its mostly fine if u just lightly push it while the engine slows very slight clunk feeling when it goes in. cool let me know how the RP works for ya

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Advance auto, Oriley's and Pep boys didnt have it... the place that was supposed to get mine at screwed up and only tried to order 3 quarts and it didnt even come in so I bought engine oil and trans fluid from AM.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
I know Advance does. I work there HA! And, in my opinion, use Amsoil... O'Reily has it.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My advance didnt have synchromax and didnt offer to order any nor did orileys. Ive heard a lot of different opinions on RP so I guess ill see how it holds up with my car. Hopefully I get everything by tomorrow so I can change the trans fluid by Sunday. If it stops the grinding with the upgrades im doing to my car it will be worth every penny.

Well im glad I didnt hope in one hand and sh*t in the other because apparently im not scheduled to get my delivery till Monday. Now im not sure if I want to get everything done to my car and then do the trans fluid or try to change the fluid before I take it in for work.... dont want to screw it up before having to take it in but I would like nice fluid in my car before the dyno tune. Thanks UPS!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts