Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used the search and yes found a little bit of what I'm asking but with mixed answers. So here it is. As we all know a 4.10 geared car will take off outta the hole like a bat outta hell with the right tires and right suspension. But what if the car was at highway speeds and I punched it would the car be slower do to it shifting more? Let me word it like this and no I do not support street racing in anyway but it will clear up the question. A stang with 4.10 gears vs a stock geared stang from a roll. It makes me think the car with 4.10s would lose because of shifting more while the stock geared car would be in it's sweet spot longer correct? As I said this has nothing to do with racing but like any Mustang owner I want my car to perform better at all speeds then a stock geared car. Some say that then others say the car with 4.10s would be faster but just reach it's top speed first. Mines an 04 gt automatic. I watched a few 4.10 gear stangs on YouTube from a rolling point and they looked slower then stock geared ones. Thoughts?

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
I have used the search and yes found a little bit of what I'm asking but with mixed answers. So here it is. As we all know a 4.10 geared car will take off outta the hole like a bat outta hell with the right tires and right suspension. But what if the car was at highway speeds and I punched it would the car be slower do to it shifting more? Let me word it like this and no I do not support street racing in anyway but it will clear up the question. A stang with 4.10 gears vs a stock geared stang from a roll. It makes me think the car with 4.10s would lose because of shifting more while the stock geared car would be in it's sweet spot longer correct? As I said this has nothing to do with racing but like any Mustang owner I want my car to perform better at all speeds then a stock geared car. Some say that then others say the car with 4.10s would be faster but just reach it's top speed first. Mines an 04 gt automatic. I watched a few 4.10 gear stangs on YouTube from a rolling point and they looked slower then stock geared ones. Thoughts?
You will reach top speed faster and your top speed will be lower
Also if tuned than no you will still be pulling away because you can get into the power range easier

Chill out, its the internet bro!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Gears are a torque multiplier , the car with the shorter gears will accelerate quicker at any speed in any gear compared to the same car with taller gearing . Theoretical top speed will drop but because top speed is aero limited the actual top speed will probably increase because you will be able to get deeper into the powerband in top gear .

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Gears are a torque multiplier , the car with the shorter gears will accelerate quicker at any speed in any gear compared to the same car with taller gearing . Theoretical top speed will drop but because top speed is aero limited the actual top speed will probably increase because you will be able to get deeper into the powerband in top gear .
This.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Shorter gears wins every time . A good driver shifts at wot , just tapping the clutch , no time or speed lost .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.