Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a BONE STOCK 93 notch. It has a power driver seat, power windows, power mirrors and anything else an LX has.

Now, mine has the same exact stuff except mines a hatch. What's the the weight difference? He keeps telling me it's like 100+lbs of weight and I said no way. He seems to think his car is 27xx pounds without him in it stock.

Ultimately we'll put them on the scales and see what they weigh. I know I weigh a lot less cause I have lighter seats, aluminum driveshaft, aluminum heads etc.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
538 Posts
My hatck weight 3000 without me in it with about 3/4 tank full of gas. It has alluminum heads big and littles no smog stuff and no spare. Other than that everything else is there. i would say his car is closer to 3000 than he thinks. I know that a tubular k member would help me too. That'll offset my blower weight once it goes in

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hatck weight 3000 without me in it with about 3/4 tank full of gas. It has alluminum heads big and littles no smog stuff and no spare. Other than that everything else is there. i would say his car is closer to 3000 than he thinks. I know that a tubular k member would help me too. That'll offset my blower weight once it goes in
I figured mines about 2900/3000 without me in it. I got the same stuff you have... No a/c, smog, gutted hatch, wheels etc.

The only difference between a notch and a hatch is just that... The hatch. The hatch can't weigh 100lbs more than the trunk. He seems to think so. Keep in mind he has the factory exhaust, smog, a/c, heat, full interior, stock intake/heads etc.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
FWIW, I weighed my 4cyl LX hatch at my plant truck scale and it was 2982...I wonder what my GT is

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I looked into this the other day and stock notchbacks are reported to weigh 3035 lbs. I think the GT is like 250 lbs heavier because of the ground effects, and options. The LX is somewhere in between. There's no way his car weighs 2,700 lbs stock....well maybe if it's a roller ;)

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Lx notchback 3035 lb
Lx hatchback 3100 lb
Gt hatchback 3190 lb
Lx vert 3240 lb
gt vert 3330 lb

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Just wanted to show him it ain't as light as he thinks. He says it's light because his title says 27xx pounds.... :lol

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With a quick search this is what i found

LX notchback: 3035
LX hatchback: 3100
LX convertible: 3240
GT hatchback: 3190
GT convertible: 3330

Those are the shipping weights for the V8 models.__________________
Thanks. I told him it was about a 50lbs difference between notch and hatch, lol.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
Sweet, mine must weigh close to 3050 with no hatch carpet, back seat, or spare tire.
Not to mention a fiberglass hood.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks for the numbers Ryan, we can all count on you to get things right. :)

Stangbanger, tell your friend to quit worrying about how much his car weighs and start modding it, lol.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the numbers Ryan, we can all count on you to get things right. :)

Stangbanger, tell your friend to quit worrying about how much his car weighs and start modding it, lol.
He's gonna... And since he's starting from scratch he's going to do it right, like I tell him to. And he's going to keep it EFI thank god.

The plan is to have a low 11 second stock bottom end 302. Trick flow 170s, custom cam, sissymax intake/performer rpm II intake etc. and some 410s along with full suspension. He wants to go deep 10s on spray. We'll see how long the hypers last :lol

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And he put slicks on it the other day and he told me it would bog with anything below 4500rpms :lmao

I haven't had a stock car in so long so that sounds weird to me.

He keeps telling me he has a freak and whatnot, and I took his car for a spin.... It's a stock Mustang alright, lol. Doesn't feel like anything special. My mom's Saturn would put the hurt on him from the seat of the pants. He doesn't realize he has a 14 second car haha.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
566 Posts
FWIW:
The factory data supplied by Ford themselves to the Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association and published along with every other specification for the car you can think of.

Their definition of curb weight is full of fluids, ready to drive, but without cargo or passengers. The consensus seems to be although most GT's came with A/C because the people paying for the GT package tended to want more heavily optioned cars, they could be ordered without it. Maybe it was standard but could be deleted. Otherwise the only thing the GT package really got you over a 5.0 hatchback was the body cladding, the seats, the foglights, and the 2-tone paint availability, and maybe "convenience group" interior lighting.

LX coupe 5-speed 3010
LX Hatch 5-speed 3069
GT Hatch 5-speed 3144
LX Convertible 5-speed 3231
GT convertible 5-speed 3365

LX coupe AOD 3076
LX Hatch AOD 3135
GT Hatch AOD 3210
LX convertible AOD 3297
GT convertible AOD 3431

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
FWIW:
The factory data supplied by Ford themselves to the Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association and published along with every other specification for the car you can think of.

Their definition of curb weight is full of fluids, ready to drive, but without cargo or passengers. The consensus seems to be although most GT's came with A/C because the people paying for the GT package tended to want more heavily optioned cars, they could be ordered without it. Maybe it was standard but could be deleted. Otherwise the only thing the GT package really got you over a 5.0 hatchback was the body cladding, the seats, the foglights, and the 2-tone paint availability, and maybe "convenience group" interior lighting.

LX coupe 5-speed 3010
LX Hatch 5-speed 3069
GT Hatch 5-speed 3144
LX Convertible 5-speed 3231
GT convertible 5-speed 3365

LX coupe AOD 3076
LX Hatch AOD 3135
GT Hatch AOD 3210
LX convertible AOD 3297
GT convertible AOD 3431

Are those the weights with out a/c and fluids ?

·
Registered
538 Posts
He's gonna... And since he's starting from scratch he's going to do it right, like I tell him to. And he's going to keep it EFI thank god.

The plan is to have a low 11 second stock bottom end 302. Trick flow 170s, custom cam, sissymax intake/performer rpm II intake etc. and some 410s along with full suspension. He wants to go deep 10s on spray. We'll see how long the hypers last :lol

Sent from my galaxy s II
He should be well into the 11s with those mods. I am partial to those mods since i have them. I have full three inch flowmaster exhaust into 44s and anderson ford motorsport big tube shorties

·
Registered
990 Posts
IMO notch vs hatch are close enough, with everything else being equal,that it boils down to who's the better driver. So just be the better driver.

My 84 L hatch with body kit weighs 3020 empty,3200 with me. It had a half tank, around 100#'s of stereo stuff, spare tire, jack, tool kit, ac, power windows, a console full of change, ect. If I were going to the track and emptied it I could get it down to 3000 with me. My sons 84 L Hatch, plain jane 5.0 , is around 2700.

4 eyes will weigh less...

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Fully loaded 93 GT hatch here, power everything with all accessories. Weighs a hefty 3625. Thats a big baby.

aod (130-160...a t5 is closer to 85-90)
oem spare tire (15-20)
oem jack (maybe 5)
subframe connectors (dont know)
speaker box w/ two 8" subs (atleast 30-40)
old Pioneer amp (maybe 5)
cheap bass tube (maybe 5)
me (im about 170)

The ground effects themselves dont weigh much, its the foglight brackets that get you. I would say they add atleast 10-15.

IMO notch vs hatch are close enough, with everything else being equal,that it boils down to who's the better driver. So just be the better driver.
Suspension and tires are major players. And not just at the tree, but the entire length of the track. Being a good driver is only part of the equation.

I figured mines about 2900/3000 without me in it. I got the same stuff you have... No a/c, smog, gutted hatch, wheels etc.

The only difference between a notch and a hatch is just that... The hatch. The hatch can't weigh 100lbs more than the trunk. He seems to think so.
The hatch is closer to 75. The notch trunk lid is more like 30.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts