Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few weeks ago I decided to swap out the standard trans fluid with ams oil. It seemed to make a difference right off the bat but then as I drove it more, not so much. Possibly even worse, hard to say. Anyway, I failed emissions yesterday, or my system monitors weren't ready and found out the easiest way to get through this was to put the stock air cleaner box back on and return the tune to stock. I did that and drove it around about 40-50 miles or so. One thing I couldnt help but notice was that this thing was dropping into every gear with complete ease. Almost to easy :D . I started thinking, could it be because the RPM's match up better with the stock program in between shifting; as opposed to falling quickly if you dont shift it pretty quick? What the hell gives?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
If your rpms are dropping really fast in between shifts. Your throttle body is probably dirty.. Pull it off and use intake/TB cleaner and get the carbon build-up off of the area around the flaps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your rpms are dropping really fast in between shifts. Your throttle body is probably dirty.. Pull it off and use intake/TB cleaner and get the carbon build-up off of the area around the flaps.
They only drop somewhat fast when the tune is on.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
That doesn't make much sense. It sounds like more of a placebo effect going on. The TR3650 is just a notchy transmission. I find mine likes to be driven "harder" than when you baby it. If I try to shift around 3,000 RPMs or so it shifts like butter. If I try to shift around 2,000 RPMs, not so much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That doesn't make much sense. It sounds like more of a placebo effect going on. The TR3650 is just a notchy transmission. I find mine likes to be driven "harder" than when you baby it. If I try to shift around 3,000 RPMs or so it shifts like butter. If I try to shift around 2,000 RPMs, not so much.
I was thinking the same about the placebo effect. I drove it this morning in the cold, same thing, like butter. The only thing i can think of is when the car is returned to stock, the rpm's kinda hang there for a second before trying to return to idle in between shifts. When the tune is on they drop much faster to return to idle. It might be I am shifting slower and more leisurley when its stock because the rpms hang there for a sec, which is allowing for the synchro speeds to match up better.
Does anyone know if there is a section on the SCT programmer that would allow me to modify how quick the engine returns to idle?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts