Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Mustang GT (2v lol) with 40k miles. Clean ass car.
I have a 2000 GMC Sierra rwd v6 single cab 150k miles. (small basic work truck)
I have a 2008 CBR 600 bike. Clean as hell too.

No car payment on any one. All paid for.

So,

Mustang is slow as ****. Handles and brakes beautifully but is slow, even after a 75 shot. I don't drive it in the winter. This is where the truck comes into play. It's getting old and has so many small problems that nobody else can drive it. Examples include gas gauge is broken, odometer doesn't display, bad brakes, power steering is mostly manual, tires are in need of replacement, tailgate hinge is rusted off lol, gets 12 mpg. etc etc

So, if somebody wants to borrow my truck, especially in the winter, I can't just hand them the keys because it's a PITA accident waiting to happen. I'm sure most of the people on this forum can drive it due to their knowledge on how a car works and what not but the regular driver will have a hard time. My parents don't like me driving the truck either so they have offered 6-8k to me to buy a new car. I'm fine driving the truck..I actually enjoy driving it and don't really want to buy a new car, mainly due to the fact that I don't want my parents to pay for it. But, in the case that my sister has to drive it or mom or friends, I won't let them. This is why they offered me money.

Bottom line is that I don't want to spend any money on the truck. I have 6-8k to spend on a new car.

Oh, and I just got the bike a few months back. Bike is also sitting in garage with mustang just taking up space.

What should I do?

1. Buy a new (used) car to drive in the winter and sell the truck. (Use parents money. I don't want to)
2. Sell Mustang and truck and buy something I can drive 365 days (Get 8-9k for Mustang and 1500 for truck. Buy a used fusion or something like that)
3. Sell Mustang, bike, and truck and buy a badass car, awd, 365 days (Should give me almost 16k.
4. Sell bike and use money to build mustang motor and sell truck and take out a loan to buy a $5000 car. Something simple like a Focus.

I'm still in school so I don't know if building the mustang is the best idea for me. I will have an internship in the summer, if all goes well and I will be taking a class or two so really, i don't think i'll even time to enjoy the mustang come summer time.

I think i'm just throwing my self with too many options. I'll be fine with either of the last 3 options. What do you guys think I should do based on your experiences?

Reps will be given.

Oh and, this is your present for helping:

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
If you're still in school, living with parents, and want to keep a pussy magnet, keep the bike and sell the mustang and the truck. Get a very reliable vehicle that will allow you to focus on school. Once you finish school and get a good job and preferably a house, then get the fast ass mustang.

·
Cleg Jr.
9,436 Posts
You're still in school so I would try to steer clear of any sort of loan. I would sell bike and truck take that money ($6-7k?) and find a nicer truck/SUV that gets better mileage.

If it was me I would go after a Colorado or ranger size truck.

Keep the car. And you have a 75 shot on it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're still in school, living with parents, and want to keep a pussy magnet, keep the bike and sell the mustang and the truck. Get a very reliable vehicle that will allow you to focus on school. Once you finish school and get a good job and preferably a house, then get the fast ass mustang.
Noted. Thanks

You're still in school so I would try to steer clear of any sort of loan. I would sell bike and truck take that money ($6-7k?) and find a nicer truck/SUV that gets better mileage.

If it was me I would go after a Colorado or ranger size truck.

Keep the car. And you have a 75 shot on it?

Was thinking about a nice SUV or a fusion.

And yes, 75 wet shot. I haven't sprayed for a good year and half though.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Somebody rep Bandit please

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,555 Posts
Personally, I would sell the truck and the bike. Riding in MI sucks. Our roads are ****, people have no consideration for bikers. I am done riding in MI, I am putting my bike up for sale in the spring. It was a fun time while it lasted, but I have had too many close calls. Mind you, I am out in Romeo. Which is the country, the suburbs are much worse.

I would get yourself nice DD. Keep the car, since it's paid for and eventually build it.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I would sell the truck and save a little money and use that $2-3k to pick up a Ranger sized truck that doesn't have nearly as many issues as your current truck and drive that around in the winter. Or you could borrow some of your parents money after selling the truck and get a newer 4x4 extended cab ranger for around $4-6k.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally, I would sell the truck and the bike. Riding in MI sucks. Our roads are ****, people have no consideration for bikers. I am done riding in MI, I am putting my bike up for sale in the spring. It was a fun time while it lasted, but I have had too many close calls. Mind you, I am out in Romeo. Which is the country, the suburbs are much worse.

I would get yourself nice DD. Keep the car, since it's paid for and eventually build it.
Dude, agreed on the shitty drivers and roads.

What bike do you have?

I would sell the truck and save a little money and use that $2-3k to pick up a Ranger sized truck that doesn't have nearly as many issues as your current truck and drive that around in the winter. Or you could borrow some of your parents money after selling the truck and get a newer 4x4 extended cab ranger for around $4-6k.
Also an option. Seems like the most simple option but I kind of want to get something FWD/AWD as I tend to give my car out to people who would have no idea how to drive a rwd in the snow. Almost everybody I would give my car out to has a FWD car/SUV.

·
Zip's half naked helper
11,663 Posts
Sell the truck and bike. Buy a fusion if you don't need a truck to haul ****, buy a newer truck if you do. Keep the Mustang to have fun in (even though it's slow). When money allows, buy a used Coyote.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
For me this all depends on whether you like the bike or the Mustang more.

I would dump the truck, it's a money pit at this point. Keep either of the Mustang or the bike, sell the other, take a few grand, and buy yourself an economical and reliable DD car, like a used Focus or TDI or the like.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Also an option. Seems like the most simple option but I kind of want to get something FWD/AWD as I tend to give my car out to people who would have no idea how to drive a rwd in the snow. Almost everybody I would give my car out to has a FWD car/SUV.
In that case I would definitely go the 4x4 route and whoever borrows the truck just stick it in 4hi and they should be good to go. Or you could take the opportunity to teach them how to drive a rwd in the snow since it will be an invaluable skill to have in the case of an emergency.

·
Chicken ****er
2,633 Posts
I'd sell the truck and bike and pick up a used Subie. Nothing fancy, no need to try for a WRX, just a simple used AWD winter car. If you're looking for a 365 AWD then sell the mustang as well and pick up an Evo or a WRX. I love those damn cars and there are some good deals running around for them.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sell the truck and bike. Buy a fusion if you don't need a truck to haul ****, buy a newer truck if you do. Keep the Mustang to have fun in (even though it's slow). When money allows, buy a used Coyote.

My dad has a Fusion. Love it. But, not sure if I want a car or SUV/Truck at this point. I do like driving bigger vehicles since I already have the Mustang. But, if that goes, then I might get a car.

I would dump the truck, it's a money pit at this point. Keep either of the Mustang or the bike, sell the other, take a few grand, and buy yourself an economical and reliable DD car, like a used Focus or TDI or the like.
Mustang has huge sentimental value, as slow as it is. I'll keep that in mind.

As for the TDI, how much do those go for and how is maintenance on the diesel?

In that case I would definitely go the 4x4 route and whoever borrows the truck just stick it in 4hi and they should be good to go. Or you could take the opportunity to teach them how to drive a rwd in the snow since it will be an invaluable skill to have in the case of an emergency.
Teaching them would yield nothing. Most of them do not have any awareness of what is going on around them lol.

My girlfriend drives a ecoboost f150. A while back in the rain, I was on the phone in the passenger seat and she was driving. We were at a stop making a right turn. Again, pouring rain. Somehow she thought it would be ok to just slam the gas with the wheel banked all the way. I was scared shitless. We made a whole circle SO fast that I dropped my phone. WTF. Do you not apply common sense when you're driving?!?!?!?

I'd sell the truck and bike and pick up a used Subie. Nothing fancy, no need to try for a WRX, just a simple used AWD winter car. If you're looking for a 365 AWD then sell the mustang as well and pick up an Evo or a WRX. I love those damn cars and there are some good deals running around for them.
If I buy one of those turbo 4 awd cars, i'll end up modding it so I think i'm just going to stay away from those..Might as well build the mustang.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Dude. The truck is a 2wd, it cant be any better than the mustang in winter lol.

Sell the bike and the truck and buy something better. I also would stay clear of payments if I were you. I just got rid of both of our car payment and having that extra 600 bucks a month is AWESOME.

·
Making Bad Decisions
2,974 Posts

This is where i'm at as well.

However, I would want to be able to drive my "fun" car year round.
So if I had to deal with this "snow" everyone complains about.
I would get rid of all three and buy a nice used WRX or STi if you could swing it.
Works year round, modifiable, and who doesn't like the boxer rumble?

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
This. I love my Ranger.

I bought it cash after I sold my truck and ill drive it until it dies. I paid 1500 for it and put another 500-600 in it to make it reliable and fix anything bad on it. So for 2 grand I got a nice truck that gets around awesome. And gets decent gas mileage.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Mustang has huge sentimental value, as slow as it is. I'll keep that in mind.

As for the TDI, how much do those go for and how is maintenance on the diesel?

I was going to trade my Mustang in a few years ago. Literally got choked up when I was standing there with the doors open, trunk open, getting ready to take everything out of it. I couldn't do it. Food for thought. Decide which you love more. I've sold a vehicle I wish I never had, and that's a regret you don't get back. It isn't about how fast it is- unless that's what you truly care about. But if you're attached to the car, you're attached to it. That's what makes us car guys car guys, and is why we're here. For most of us, these are not just cars to us. They are part of us. If you don't feel that way, sell the Mustang. But only you can answer that. Go sit in the car and truly contemplate visualizing the moment it leaves your driveway and your hands. Are you cool with that? If so, fine. Many guys are, and will enjoy another Mustang just as much or maybe even more. Sometimes though, a particular vehicle resonates with us, and it's not an easy thing to explain.

As for the TDI.

Looking at an extra 50 bucks an oil change over a gas engine, but intervals are much longer. Timing belt every 60K miles or so, depending which belt you buy. There are cheaper ones and better ones. That's about a 500 dollar to 1000 dollar job. You can replace the entire engine in this thing for 1200 bucks. Most things are pretty cheap on it... save for the injection pump, which is very pricey. As for the car itself, it's like most compact cars. Part are cheap enough, **** is more expensive when bought/installed at a dealership. I will say so far in my only 2 visits to VW that they don't **** around with maintenance... but you do pay through the nose for it.

Brake pads for the car, for example, 20 bucks front and rear. 30 if you want the better quality pads. lol. Calipers? 50 front, 75 rear. 100 bucks for a front strut. Ditto for the rear. Even less if you want the cheapo version. Lower control arm is 70 bucks. Front wheel bearing? 90 bucks.

So. With most used cars, a lot of it is luck of the draw combined with how smart you are when you shop more than what kind of vehicle you actually by. You try to find something that doesn't have a bazillion miles on it, that hasn't had 19 owners, that wasn't smacked up, has some maintenance records... I also don't buy cars that have a fart can on them, or other silly teenager mods... gives you a pretty good idea that the car was rode hard. If I'm looking for a Honda Civic, and it's been lowered with a light kit underneath it and a fart can sticking out the back... not buying that car. Won't even go look at it. I also won't buy a car that hasn't had undercoating put on it. A little surface rust on a beater at the bottom of a rocker panel, door edge? Ok... if the rest of the car is clean and well maintained, that's just bargaining power for me. If I open the hood, or climb under the car and see surface rust slathered on everything, you know the type I mean... everything is dry and corroded, you can tell that the vehicle was obviously never undercoated or oil sprayed... walk away. And you can usually tell when a car still feels tight, looks clean, and was driven normally.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
You can sell the truck and the bike and get a used Subaru as mentioned. You don't need a turbo'd model. I got my wife a impreza NA and it's AWD and gets 22-25 city MPG. You can find pretty good deals on them if you look.

I'd keep the Mustang as it has sentimental value and the fact you'll prolly hate it if you sell it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts