Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, reading all those Pypes 409 posts had me wondering... unless you're located in a part of the country where emissions testing is mandatory, why would you ever keep cats on your exhaust? I mean, if I'm going to buy something to flow better, why would I keep something on there that impedes flow? And, on top of everything, they're more expensive! I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I guess some folks care about it being against the law but i say take them off.

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess some folks care about it being against the law but i say take them off.
+1. If I get an X- or an H-pipe, it sure as hell isn't going to have cats on it.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Some guys (and gals) just arent that into cars as much but still want a more aggreasive sound with out worring about passing.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Yeah man. If you want a High Flow cats its gunna COST YOU. So i agree with you, buy an O/R MId pipe. Unless you got money to burn then sure get the High Flow. They wont as loud and they will have a deeper tone. But yeah if you dont have to worry about emissions then take them off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ok...i agree with the performance plus, and no-cats sounds bad ass for sure! but is it uncomfortabbly loud? i do most of my driving in city, but make the occational 8 hour drive home (prob 8-9 times a year). would no-cats be unbearable on a trip like that? would you have to crank your stereo in order to hear it and/or shout to have a conversation (don't think the girl wold like that too much)?

my only performance mods to date are MAC cai, BBK 70mm t/b, and C&L plenum. after that...gears, and suspension (including lowering). my plan was MCA l/t headers, h-pipe with pypes high-flow cats, SLP powerflow catback. what do yall think though?!?

...this is for the '02 GT btw...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
^ no. your car wont be unbearably loud. i have bbk longtubes a bbk offroad H and bassani catback and its definately not unbearable. its loud! dont get me wrong but its definately music to my ears it isnt annoying at all and you dont have to crank your stereo really loud. mine is louder than yours will be tho because powerflo mufflers are really quiet ive heard

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Alright, reading all those Pypes 409 posts had me wondering... unless you're located in a part of the country where emissions testing is mandatory, why would you ever keep cats on your exhaust? I mean, if I'm going to buy something to flow better, why would I keep something on there that impedes flow? And, on top of everything, they're more expensive! I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, I'm just curious.

WELL!!! Some of us care about the environment. jeeezz haven't you been listening to Al Gore???

J/K:D

·
Registered
682 Posts
I run a O/R X-pipe and we have to have our cars smogged bi-annually here in California. I figured I would just switch back to the original catted H-pipe every two years for the smog test. Now I'm hearing that the Highway Patrol are impounding cars for 30 days if they find a polluton device deliberatly modified, disconnected or removed. That's scarey as that would probably cost you over a $1000 by the time it was all over. I'm not sure that these hi-flow cats are ARB approved either. You may get away with it, but I sure would be nervous if some Highway Patrolman started snooping around looking to impound my car. I'm thinking I may just put mine back on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yah, i think i'll go with the highflow cats. it'll still sound WAAAAAY better than stock, and i won't have to deal with my ****ing check engine being on all the time! lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts