Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read the sticky threads, but now my car is throwing 6 CEL codes.

P0133
P0133P
P0136
P0136P
P0153
P0153P

I'm assuming the scanner I'm using puts "P" for the opposite side. I bought the car with an O/R H-Pipe and I'm assuming MIL eliminators. I bought new Bosch O2 sensors at AutoZone last year.

I've always have the P0133 & P0133P pop on, but it was inconsistant. Now I scanned it today trying to fix it and I see all of these!

What gives with this? I don't even know where to start here. The code list is specific, but I need Fisher Price style instructions here. What am I looking at with these codes and what do I need to do? I've reset the battery before and cleared it with both just a scanner and my SCT Livewire.

I'm just pretty annoyed with them. Really don't mind if I have to spend a few bucks to replace something, I just need to be clearly be pointed in the right direction. :)

Thanks.:tomato

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cleared them, they'll come back.

Any help is appreciated, my gas milage is ridiculous right now. I'm pretty sure the car just dumps fuel at this point. :(

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
P0133 - Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank1, Sensor1)
p0136 (O2 bank 1 sensor 2)
P0153 - Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank2, Sensor1)

Can you datalog and graph? If so graph both front 02 sensors at 2500 RPM and take a screen shot.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It might be worth noting I think I might have a manifold leak on the passenger side, but it seems to go away after the engine has warmed up.

Datalog with the SCT Livewire? I guess I'll learn!

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
It might be worth noting I think I might have a manifold leak on the passenger side, but it seems to go away after the engine has warmed up.

Datalog with the SCT Livewire? I guess I'll learn!
You gotta get that leak fixed!! Here is some basic info on datalogging that may help you out. Data logging Info

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You gotta get that leak fixed!! Here is some basic info on datalogging that may help you out. Data logging Info
Thanks!

But these are O2 sensor codes, do I want to datalog off of potentially jacked up O2 ... wait that's the point, I answered my own question. Figure out what's wrong.

My headers are older long tubes. They are coated with a thin layer of surface rust on the very end of them, but they seem to be fine everywhere else. I'll swap them out for something ceramic coated and pretty, but right now I'm not ready to plop the money and labor into that. I'll wait until I go for the K-Member.

I have Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts. I'm not sure I have the patience (more like equipment and tools) to replace my header gaskets myself.

Since the headers are already on, how much would I be looking to pay someone to simply replace the gaskets?

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
O2 codes come on when the air measured by the maf becomes about 25% different that that Air fuel measured by the O2s. If you have a vacuum leak, or an exhaust leak (pre O2) it will alter these readings. If the header leak is only on 1 side it will not affect the other side. I have a header leak (not too bad, trims off about 3% on that bank) so i pretty much stopped driving my car until I put in a MM front end! Some friends joke with me.. you have a header leak and need a new front suspension to fix it?.. yeah. (Those bolts are WAY up in there and i want them good and tight because this is the second leak)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O2 codes come on when the air measured by the maf becomes about 25% different that that Air fuel measured by the O2s. If you have a vacuum leak, or an exhaust leak (pre O2) it will alter these readings. If the header leak is only on 1 side it will not affect the other side. I have a header leak (not too bad, trims off about 3% on that bank) so i pretty much stopped driving my car until I put in a MM front end! Some friends joke with me.. you have a header leak and need a new front suspension to fix it?.. yeah. (Those bolts are WAY up in there and i want them good and tight because this is the second leak)
Exactly.

I'm not really sure then, I think it's a header leak. Might not be.

Not a big deal either way right now since it's on both banks. I'll have to really troubleshoot the hell out of her this time.

First, put in old O2 sensors. :sorry

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
why do you need mils if you have the tuner :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
thats what I was thinking. stil yet. why dont you shut off the o2 sensors and see if you still get the CEL

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
maybe your mils are bad and thats why its kicking these codes

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
thats what I was thinking. stil yet. why dont you shut off the o2 sensors and see if you still get the CEL
The rear o2's do nothing for drivability. They are only there to make sure the cats are working. Having an exhaust leak before the front 02 sensors will throw off your fuel trims. If the exhaust leak is big enough the car won't run worth a crap.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
in my experiences with CEL's the car always sucked gas and drove a little rough. and the CEL was due to having the cats cut or having a o/r x

but hell idk just tryin to suggest something :(

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The rear o2's do nothing for drivability. They are only there to make sure the cats are working. Having an exhaust leak before the front 02 sensors will throw off your fuel trims. If the exhaust leak is big enough the car won't run worth a crap.
What's the easiest way to tell if I have an exhaust leak? I think I hear one, but honestly, it is actually consistant on both sides.

I ran Seafoam through the car (55,000 miles) but barely anything happened. If the leak was bad enough it would have been smoking from the leak too.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
datalog the car.......

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turned out it was the Bosch O2 sensors I bought. I put the old ones back in and it cleared it right up.

Wonder what made them not work correctly and throw a CEL? Oh well.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
because they are crap :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, who knows. They have a one year warranty from AutoZone, I just have to find my receipt. If they take them back I'm just going to go buy new Motorcraft - or better yet just put that $100+ into something else. Probably new intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and spark plug tube rings.

I bought these when I first bought the car. It smokes on really high RPM and I thought it could be a mixture issue. I'm still in denial it could be valve seals.

I'm going to stick to Motorcraft from now on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts