Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has an OBDII to USB cable and some software on his computer that we used last night to check why my wife's car had the check engine light on. The software that we were using also has the ability to measure horsepower/torque. Have any of you guys/girls used something similar before to measure horsepower? If so, do you know how accurate it is? I'm ordering my own cable today because I think its worth it just for the check engine codes alone, but if I can measure horsepower gains after mods that would be pretty sweet.

One more question. Does anybody know if you can use a laptop like you would use a hand-held tuner and upload custom tunes through the OBDII cable? Is there software for that?

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
good questions, i doubt the horsepower thing is accurate but it would be cool if you could upload a tune straight from a laptop with the appropriate software rather than buying a tuner. i don't think theres a way but that would be cool if there is.

·
Registered
255 Posts
hell yea that would be cool. i have looked all over the place for a program like that but i could never find as i too have the obdII cable for my laptop. it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a tuner.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
OBD2 based HP measurements can be very accurate, in fact more "real-world" accurate than a dynamometer as it calculates HP based upon the weight of your car and the time it takes to accelerate that weight between selected speeds--as opposed to the time to accelerate a big drum, or power a load.

However, the calculations are affected by the accuracy of the weight you enter (most people underestimate the weight of their cars by 200 to 500 lbs), and the incline of the road and head/tail winds. Chassis dynamometers do not have head/tail wind, aerodynamic drag, or rolling resistance so their numbers will generally be higher and more pleasing...

That said, OBD2 and accelerometer based HP calculators can be very effective tuning tools if you use the numbers from back-to-back runs over the same section of road/track as they are quite repeatable estimations.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
A friend of mine has an OBDII to USB cable and some software on his computer that we used last night to check why my wife's car had the check engine light on. The software that we were using also has the ability to measure horsepower/torque. Have any of you guys/girls used something similar before to measure horsepower? If so, do you know how accurate it is? I'm ordering my own cable today because I think its worth it just for the check engine codes alone, but if I can measure horsepower gains after mods that would be pretty sweet.

One more question. Does anybody know if you can use a laptop like you would use a hand-held tuner and upload custom tunes through the OBDII cable? Is there software for that?
The obdii hp can be off. Its easy to trick too. If you dump the clutch hard, burn 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (going maybe 20mph then) you will make GOOOBS of hp because it thinks you are going 100mph.
For tuning, there is sct, diablo, sniper, and a couple others. They each require the specific computer to obdii hardware. Most code readers will not have flash capabilities. There are some options out there like the IDS, but you cannot custom tune with it and it costs $1500+.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts